Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Credit Card Reconsideration Reports [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Credit Card Reconsideration Reports [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by whatupbovice
Tried to sneak in one more Aadvantage card before the 28th and was declined due to too many inquiries (per letter in mail). Called Citi reconsideration line phone number pulled from one of the blogs and was told by CS rep that there is no Citi reconsideration department and that the number I called (which is listed as Citi reconsideration on multiple blogs) is an internal number.

Anybody get this before? Strange, as I know people have had success calling reconsideration before...
Same here. I got hard declined right away yesterday for AA Gold card. I thought reap atleast 25k miles before the new rules go into effect on 28th. Which card did you apply and what did they say ?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:33 am

You're not alone. My s.o. tried applying for the HH Reserve last night by phone and was told that the app was under further review. She called the recon number today and was told that they would not be able to approve her application due to too many inquiries. The rep actually went on further to say that they Citi is aware of the churning hobby and how the best offers spread like wildfire over the internet and they are trying to eliminate the "churners." And from what he could see from other cards she had opened, she hasn't used them beyond the initial spend requirement. She has not tried calling back yet because the rep was so firm, but maybe she should. Anyone had any success with a second call back? It sounds like Citi is really REALLY cracking down.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:03 pm

Same here. Applied citi Hilton signature visa on Aug 18 and got instant declined. I received a letter indicating too many inquiries one week later. Called the "reconsideration line" twice and they couldn't do anything on it. The second agent told me there was a matrix running to exam people's inquries in their credit report(not only in citi's). He couldn't tell me the details of this rule. Now I am worried about this "new" rule from citi and wondering if that is another 5/24 rule.....

Need more data points and inside details!!.....

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
You're not alone. My s.o. tried applying for the HH Reserve last night by phone and was told that the app was under further review. She called the recon number today and was told that they would not be able to approve her application due to too many inquiries. The rep actually went on further to say that they Citi is aware of the churning hobby and how the best offers spread like wildfire over the internet and they are trying to eliminate the "churners." And from what he could see from other cards she had opened, she hasn't used them beyond the initial spend requirement. She has not tried calling back yet because the rep was so firm, but maybe she should. Anyone had any success with a second call back? It sounds like Citi is really REALLY cracking down.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Any luck writing to EO? Is that still a thing?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:44 am

sigh. got rejected Citi HHonors Visa Signature 75K for "too many inquiries in the past 6 months". they pulled my experian which of course is the worst.

the recon agent didnt budget. not sure if i should call back a second time based on the experience of folks here.

i think writing a letter to executive office is in order.

can anyone share their experience on this?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by tys90
I've had zero success with Citi in calling their reconsideration lines. Their reconsideration lines seem to have no power to do anything unless there was an error made on the credit report. Writing them DOES work, I just did it for a CitiAA card earlier this year after being denied for too many inquires.

I've never been denied by Amex so I have no personal experience with their reconsideration lines.

what did you say in your recon letter to executive office? (that leads to a overturn in decision). care to share? in the same boat right now, except in my case it is for HHonors Visa Signature
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
Sorry, just seeing this now. AA Gold Mastercard as well (had the platinum card <24 months ago). After writing in, in response to the physical letter I got, I was able to talk to someone at the executive office (I believe that's what he called it?) and despite another review was denied. Mentioned my great credit history and score, as well as my years-long relationship with Citi as well as my 3 currently open cards with them. Rep was polite and apologetic, but said the too many inquiries factor couldn't be overruled. Oh well, can't win 'em all I guess.

Originally Posted by dealsphotog
Same here. I got hard declined right away yesterday for AA Gold card. I thought reap atleast 25k miles before the new rules go into effect on 28th. Which card did you apply and what did they say ?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 8:52 pm

Has anyone else had a successful experience writing the executive office (recently) after a denial?

I'm also wondering if details will eventually emerge on this "matrix" Citi uses.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:10 pm

Applied in branch last saturday for both the Simpliciti , for which I had a pre-approval, and the Prestige. I got approved for the Simpliciti, and the Prestige went to pending.

Called reconsideration on monday to check - Prestige got denied
I was able to get them to close the Simpliciti and open the Prestige instead. It took one more call on monday. They had to pull credit again, unfortunately.

I wish the banker in branch had told me that Citi automatically declines multiple card applications in an 8-day period. Would only have applied for the Prestige then.

Anyway, I can't say I am too terribly unhappy - in the last few months I got a CSP, CSR, Barclay Arrival +, and now Citi Prestige (still waiting for the card to happen). Will be running out of cards to churn soon.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by madbrain
Applied in branch last saturday for both the Simpliciti , for which I had a pre-approval, and the Prestige. I got approved for the Simpliciti, and the Prestige went to pending.

Called reconsideration on monday to check - Prestige got denied
I was able to get them to close the Simpliciti and open the Prestige instead. It took one more call on monday. They had to pull credit again, unfortunately.

I wish the banker in branch had told me that Citi automatically declines multiple card applications in an 8-day period. Would only have applied for the Prestige then.

Anyway, I can't say I am too terribly unhappy - in the last few months I got a CSP, CSR, Barclay Arrival +, and now Citi Prestige (still waiting for the card to happen). Will be running out of cards to churn soon.
In fairness, the 8 day rule is pretty well documented and has been for quite some time. At least here.

Has anyone else had any luck with EO? I've given up trying to be approved through recon. After multiple attempts, they won't seem to budge on their new ruling based on their matrix.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
In fairness, the 8 day rule is pretty well documented and has been for quite some time. At least here.
Yes, I wish I had read about it here first, instead of asking the Citi banker in the branch who submitted the 2 applications for me. She obviously didn't know, and shouldn't have even let me apply for 2 cards at once.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by whatupbovice
Sorry, just seeing this now. AA Gold Mastercard as well (had the platinum card <24 months ago). After writing in, in response to the physical letter I got, I was able to talk to someone at the executive office (I believe that's what he called it?) and despite another review was denied. Mentioned my great credit history and score, as well as my years-long relationship with Citi as well as my 3 currently open cards with them. Rep was polite and apologetic, but said the too many inquiries factor couldn't be overruled. Oh well, can't win 'em all I guess.
I think Chase was simply the first in what will be a series of banks trying to lock down an algorithm after which point one will just be auto denied with no recon possible.

Banks do not want to have to pay as many human credit analysts to reconsider applications. With 5/24, I'm quite sure Chase reduced staffing in the lending/recon dept, simply because it cannot be overturned. This is cost effective. They have decided that if you are over 5/24 you are probably a churner and not going to make them any profit.

Similarly, Citi seems to be trying to do the same thing. Pass a certain point in inquiries and you are denied, do not pass go, cannot be overturned. Again, saves time and money. They don't have to bother to have an analyst review it repeatedly.

We may not like it, but it's the way of the world. And let's face it, most people who even know about reconsideration procedures are unprofitable churners. A great history and score can help but many people who do not churn have the same great history and score without appearing as if they just want to milk the latest benefit.

I think going forward it will be a matter of being much more selective with one's applications because I think we will see more of this automatic decision making with no human intervention possible.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I just applied for the Citi Prestige today; it'd be my first credit card with Citi and only banking relationship with Citibank. Credit's around 740, so I thought I had a decent chance -- my application went to "More information needed, please call us."

I gave them a call and they said my application had gone straight to denied; the representative said she couldn't help me until at least 24 hours after my application and that I'd need to wait until I received the denial letter to call them back.

I HUCA'd, and got the same story from the next rep.

So I guess my best bet is to wait and write a letter to the Executive Office?

Last edited by morphogencc; Jan 8, 2017 at 2:32 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by morphogencc
... it'd be my first credit card
First Citi card, first card from any issuer?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry for the lack of clarity -- first credit card with Citi, and first financial relationship with them (I don't have any bank accounts with them).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.