Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mostly positive changes coming to Citi ThankYou Premier 4.19.2015

Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Major changes coming into effect April 19, 2015:
Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:

-- 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV Rental and boat rentals;
-- 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
-- 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.

Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas Stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxi/limousine are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus Lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor Home and Recreational Vehicle Rental are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat Leases and Boat Rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts. Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchants premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.

You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed
Print Wikipost

Mostly positive changes coming to Citi ThankYou Premier 4.19.2015

Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Has Citi issued any guidance on what happens to cardmembers who pay the current $125 AF in advance of April 19?

I was certain I'd seen indications in this thread that the $30 difference (between new $95 AF & current AF) would be credited back to customers, but I'm not finding it now.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UnmadeBed
Has anyone seen one of these or have one with an offer code or anything? I would realllllly like to get my hands on this card with the old bonus categories for a whole extra year...
Sorry for the delay,

Here is the flyer from my local branch:

Last edited by lotrbfme; Mar 18, 2015 at 8:16 pm Reason: Image size was too big
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beltway
Has Citi issued any guidance on what happens to cardmembers who pay the current $125 AF in advance of April 19?

I was certain I'd seen indications in this thread that the $30 difference (between new $95 AF & current AF) would be credited back to customers, but I'm not finding it now.
Turns out I saw this not on FT, but in a January letter from Citi that I managed to unearth. The key passage reads as follows:
If you have already paid an annual fee of over $95 in you current cardmembership year, you will receive a credit for the difference on your billing statement after April 19, 2015. Cardmembers who are billed an annual fee of over $95 before April 19, 2015, will need to pay their annual fee in full and will receive a credit for the difference on their billing statement after April 19, 2015.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:56 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
...The key passage reads as follows:

If you have already paid an annual fee of over $95 in you current cardmembership year, you will receive a credit for the difference on your billing statement after April 19, 2015. Cardmembers who are billed an annual fee of over $95 before April 19, 2015, will need to pay their annual fee in full and will receive a credit for the difference on their billing statement after April 19, 2015.
This does not necessarily mean a $30 credit. Citi may prorate the refund at $2.50 per month.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
This does not necessarily mean a $30 credit. Citi may prorate the refund at $2.50 per month.
Well, I don't think it can be read to permit that--"the difference" meaning exactly what it says--but I suppose we'll see soon enough.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS
Just to confirm the 1 year of 3x dining, I applied March 12 and just got my card (yeah, over two weeks. not sure if citi's fault or usps), and it came with this flyer:

Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines
New Credit Design for Thank You Premier

Citi will be re-designing the Thank You Premier. The design is similar to the Prestige. The only difference will be the color, which looks grey. This information was posted at the bottom of the page when logged into CitiCardsOnline.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by livencali
Citi will be re-designing the Thank You Premier. The design is similar to the Prestige. The only difference will be the color, which looks grey. This information was posted at the bottom of the page when logged into CitiCardsOnline.
I expected as much, will it stay TY Premier or just Premier? Any pictures?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Nick92
I expected as much, will it stay TY Premier or just Premier? Any pictures?
Yes, it will still say Premier on the front of the card. Not sure how to post a picture of it, sorry.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Originally Posted by livencali

Interesting. i dont see that notice when i login. Please post a photo is you can. Not that the design makes much of a difference to me, I have had a number of issues with clerks finding the mag strip on the prestige. Hopefully they will fix that, plus hopefully they will harmonize the travel category between the Prestige and Premier.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:18 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jalm1
I have had a number of issues with clerks finding the mag strip on the prestige.
Unfortunately it looks like Citi has decided to move the mag stripe to the front for this product as well, like the Prestige. However the new card color is a light to medium gray, and the stripe is fairly black, so it does look like it will be easier to see than with the Prestige.

Unfortunately for those of us with the Prestige, this seems to imply that Citi is sticking with their non-standard card design.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold
Originally Posted by dw
Unfortunately it looks like Citi has decided to move the mag stripe to the front for this product as well, like the Prestige. However the new card color is a light to medium gray, and the stripe is fairly black, so it does look like it will be easier to see than with the Prestige.

Unfortunately for those of us with the Prestige, this seems to imply that Citi is sticking with their non-standard card design.
Found a link to an updated benefits document which includes the image of the new card on the first page.

https://online.citibank.com/JRS/popu...erbenefits.pdf

Last edited by islandguy84; Apr 4, 2015 at 3:48 pm Reason: Add image screenshot
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by pr09
Just to confirm the 1 year of 3x dining, I applied March 12 and just got my card (yeah, over two weeks. not sure if citi's fault or usps), and it came with this flyer:

Do you have to apply in branch in order to get 1 year of 3x dining?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by islandguy84
Found a link to an updated benefits document which includes the image of the new card on the first page.

https://online.citibank.com/JRS/popu...erbenefits.pdf

Not sure I quite understand all these changes to the Premier. Also don't understand the similar design to Prestige. From a marketing standpoint this seems backwards. Similar to when they did this two years ago it leads me to believe there are future changes coming to the Prestige ...
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by greatname
Do you have to apply in branch in order to get 1 year of 3x dining?
I applied online on March 20th and got the same flyer/insert OP posted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.