Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mostly positive changes coming to Citi ThankYou Premier 4.19.2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Major changes coming into effect April 19, 2015:
Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:

-- 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV Rental and boat rentals;
-- 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
-- 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.

Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas Stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxi/limousine are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus Lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor Home and Recreational Vehicle Rental are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat Leases and Boat Rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts. Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.

• You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

• If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed
Print Wikipost

Mostly positive changes coming to Citi ThankYou Premier 4.19.2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by GrnLantern
+1

At least with CSP you can transfer UR -> United. Given Citi's relationship with AA (just like Chase / United), it's annoying and idiotic that they don't allow the same.
Exactly. I would dump CSP in a heartbeat if they add AA as a transfer partner. All my UR points are transfer to United. United is my go to airline for sometime now, and I'm looking for a change. Citi can certainly make this process easier for me if they would just add AA!!!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by benny08
Exactly. I would dump CSP in a heartbeat if they add AA as a transfer partner. All my UR points are transfer to United. United is my go to airline for sometime now, and I'm looking for a change. Citi can certainly make this process easier for me if they would just add AA!!!
As I am sure you are aware, depending on where you fly,you can transfer UR points to BA and fly AA at prices cheaper than AAs own award chart. This is why I collect both AA and BA miles and use them interchangeably, depending on which program will get me to my destination cheaper
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
As I am sure you are aware, depending on where you fly,you can transfer UR points to BA and fly AA at prices cheaper than AAs own award chart. This is why I collect both AA and BA miles and use them interchangeably, depending on which program will get me to my destination cheaper
I fly long distance and international, avios would never work for me.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:24 pm

Does Prestige or Premier give bonus on car rentals right now? Pre-April changes? If you had either card to use for renting a car, which is best to pick? Insurance, points etc..or are they the same for this purpose?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:58 pm

I checked and found our that I qualify for 50k TY premier card with no AF first year.

Have had this card about 2 yrs ago. Is it a good deal and am I eligible if I had the TY premier card before?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
... 50k TY premier card with no AF first year.

Have had this card about 2 yrs ago.
Sounds like the standard offer, did you read the terms?

Earn up to 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points: Earn 20,000 points after $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. Earn 30,000 points after another $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of your second year of being a cardmember.

Bonus ThankYou Points not available if you have had a Citi ThankYou Premier card opened or closed in the past 18 months
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Sounds like the standard offer, did you read the terms?
thanks for the later but it is 50k for $3k spend . not the standard junk offer that requires 2 yrs
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:27 pm

I checked and found our that I qualify for 50k TY premier card with no AF first year.

Have had this card about 2 yrs ago. Is it a good deal and am I eligible if I had the TY premier card before?
thanks for the later but it is 50k for $3k spend . not the standard junk offer that requires 2 yrs
To state the obvious, do the landing or app pages speak to this issue at all? On a targeted offer, I'm not sure any of us can give better guidance than that.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
If I have a Citi AA Executive card and I apply for the Citi Prestige card, would I still qualify for the sign-up bonus and $250 airline credit?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
If I have a Citi AA Executive card and I apply for the Citi Prestige card, would I still qualify for the sign-up bonus and $250 airline credit?
Yup. Completely different product lines.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Yup. Completely different product lines.
^
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:47 pm

Is the following better? just $3k spend for 50K points in first year itself? Just wanted to make sure it doesn't require 2 full yrs to get the full 50k offer

Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points: Earn 50,000 points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. 50,000 bonus points are redeemable for up to $500 in gift cards, up to $625 for airfare or other great rewards.2
Through 4/18/2015, earn 3X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 2X ThankYou Points on Airfare, Hotels and Travel Agencies.
Starting 4/19/2015, earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, and 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment.
Earn 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on other purchases.1
No foreign transaction fee on purchases1
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... just $3k spend for 50K points in first year itself
My hunch is that when Citi launches the refreshed product in mid-April there will be new offers. They aren't making these changes for current cardholders, they are going after Chase Sapphire customers.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:21 pm

What can you currently use TYP to transfer to with the TY Premier card? I was hoping that Citi allows 1:1 point transfers to AA network just like how Chase allows point transfers to United network and Amex allows point transfers to Delta network. I assume you can transfer 1:1 points with the Citi Prestige card?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
What can you currently use TYP to transfer to with the TY Premier card? I was hoping that Citi allows 1:1 point transfers to AA network just like how Chase allows point transfers to United network and Amex allows point transfers to Delta network. I assume you can transfer 1:1 points with the Citi Prestige card?
No AA, unfortunately.

Take a look here for the full info: https://www.thankyou.com/partnerProgramsListing.jspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.