Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Do we know yet what's happening to the Citi cards to give us a reason to cancel now?
My bad, I read the guys post who said a Costco card showed up in his account but when I read back I see he asked for the conversion.

In reality I have nothing to gain by keeping her Citi cards open and since she has 3 Hilton Visas her 1/24 come November could easily turn into 4/24 if those cards get converted and each show up as a new card

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 16, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
My bad, I read the guys post who said a Costco card showed up in his account but when I read back I see he asked for the conversion.

In reality I have nothing to gain by keeping her Citi cards open and since she has 3 Hilton Visas her 1/24 come November could easily turn into 4/24 if those cards get converted and show up as a new car
Gotcha ^
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
One recent rumor out there is that Amex is only picking up Surpass accounts, but Citi will keep and convert no-fee HH card accounts. But still, it's just a rumor.

Surpass accounts are already AMEX accounts, nothing to pick up there. Perhaps you meant that AMEX might pick up HH Res accounts and turn them into Surpass accounts?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson

Surpass accounts are already AMEX accounts, nothing to pick up there. Perhaps you meant that AMEX might pick up HH Res accounts and turn them into Surpass accounts?
Just a typo. I meant Reserve. I've gone back and fixed it. (I've never owned these AF cards, and sometimes get the names of them mixed up.)

As to what they will convert to, that's separate rumors, fueled by someone accidentally being told they had applied for an Ascend card when they applied for an Amex HH Surpass card recently. Ie, would Reserve convert to Surpass (and thus lose features), or what Amex either upgrade Surpass (with or without a new name) or create a third card which would match Reserve's features more closely? No one knows yet, but as you can see there are multiple possibilities.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I just received an e-mail that these will be replace with the Hilton Amex card.

I still have two cards from Citi open and the Hilton Amex already. I wonder if I should hang on to the two during conversion (for potentially getting additional Amex Offers), or if I should go ahead and close before conversion to free up card slots for other Amex cards in the future. IIRC Amex has a limit on the number of open accounts per customer, which I will come up against with my other Amex cards.

If you have the no-fee Citi Hilton Honors Card, it will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Card and if you have the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card, it will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. Your new Card will arrive in the mail in mid-January and will be available to use starting on January 30, 2018.** Your relationship with Hilton Honors remains unchanged and you will continue to earn Hilton Honors Points on your Citi Hilton Honors Card until that time.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:34 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Hilton has officially announced that most Citi Honors card accounts will be sold to American Express, and transferred January 30, 2018. Free Citi Hilton VISA accounts will become free American Express Honors card accounts. The criteria for selecting accounts eligible for transfer to American Express are unpublished, but it's possible that if you already hold a free American Express Honors card your account will remain at Citi, and that Citi will convert it to a ThankYou or cashback card.

Hilton FAQ is here:http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...i-card-faq.htm

Hilton forum thread: American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Thread started by official Honors representative: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...dit-cards.html
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by mia; Nov 1, 2017 at 10:38 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by mia
Hilton has officially announced that most Citi Honors card accounts will be sold to American Express, and transferred January 30, 2018. Free Citi Hilton VISA accounts will become free American Express Honors card accounts. The criteria for selecting accounts eligible for transfer to American Express are unpublished, but it's possible that if you already hold a free American Express Honors card your account will remain at Citi, and that Citi will convert it to a ThankYou or cashback card.

Hilton FAQ is here:http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...i-card-faq.htm

Hilton forum thread: American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

I wish we had some definite info on what happens if a person already has the NAF Amex and also how this might effect 5/24

I guess I'll keep my oldest Citi HH open for a while until we get more info
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:37 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is also a thread started by the official Honors representative:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...dit-cards.html
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Product Change Stategy?

Like many I already have an amex Surpass. I wonder what I could PC some of my Citi HH cards to.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There is also a thread started by the official Honors representative:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...dit-cards.html

Delete
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Like many I already have an amex Surpass. I wonder what I could PC some of my Citi HH cards to.
I recently PCed my oldest Citi card to DoubleCash. It has no AF, and 2% cash back doesn't stink. The rest I'll close, as the oldest helps anchor my AAoA.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I recently PCed my oldest Citi card to DoubleCash. It has no AF, and 2% cash back doesn't stink. The rest I'll close, as the oldest helps anchor my AAoA.
AAoA doesn't really matter. Even closed cards stay on your credit file for 7 years. My AAoA is less than 2 years and my scores are 820-830.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I got a snail mail letter regarding my Citi HH card. It sounds we have time to stop the conversion if needed.

front page:
We are writing to let you know that Citi's co-branded credit card relationship with Hilton is ending. Your Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature account will be transferred to American Express on January 30, 2018 ("the Replacement Date").

Please note, in some situations, your account may not be transferred to American Express. If this is the case, we will contact you with additional information.

last page:
If your account is closed or is not in good standing as of January 26, 2018, your account will not be transferred to American Express.

I don't want my account transferred, so this is good news for me.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeanie
I got a snail mail letter regarding my Citi HH card. It sounds we have time to stop the conversion if needed.

front page:
We are writing to let you know that Citi's co-branded credit card relationship with Hilton is ending. Your Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature account will be transferred to American Express on January 30, 2018 ("the Replacement Date").

Please note, in some situations, your account may not be transferred to American Express. If this is the case, we will contact you with additional information.

last page:
If your account is closed or is not in good standing as of January 26, 2018, your account will not be transferred to American Express.

I don't want my account transferred, so this is good news for me.
I'm not sure if that statement you highlighted is accurate to the day. Amex has suggested that you will have the Amex card by the end of January, and I don't see how that's possible if they don't even get the accounts from Citi until January 26.

So while you still may have some time to cancel, I would not count on having until late January to cancel.

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 7, 2017 at 11:26 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm not sure if that statement you highlighted is accurate to the day. Amex has suggested that you will have the Amex card by the end of January, and I don't see how that's possible if they don't even get the accounts from Citi until January 26.

So while you still may have some time to cancel, I would not count on having until late January to cancel.

I was just typing in verbatim what was in the letter I got from Citi. The main thing I was concerned about is that it wasn't too late to cancel the card now to avoid the conversion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.