Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:15 pm

There is a fair amount of talk about potential product changes so I'm having a bit of trouble finding the answer to the following question, though I assume it's in this thread.

My annual fee on this card is due in about a week. I spent $10k last year to get the annual free night cert. What is the timing on the certs? Is there any possibility of getting the cert and then cancelling and getting back some or all of the annual fee, or will they wait until I've paid the annual fee to give me the cert?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Here was my concern. It's rumored that AMEX is going to come out with a new HH card. If the citi cards get transferred to that, it will be without a sign up bonus, and since AMEX has a one card per lifetime policy....
I understand. We should know what we'll be converted to before the conversion takes place. That way we should have time to cancel the cards before they're converted to avoid losing out on a once per lifetime bonus. In the past whenever this has happened we knew what the new card would be with plenty of time in advance.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
I understand. We should know what we'll be converted to before the conversion takes place. That way we should have time to cancel the cards before they're converted to avoid losing out on a once per lifetime bonus. In the past whenever this has happened we knew what the new card would be with plenty of time in advance.
Hopefully that will be true. I got burned with the transition from Visa to MC. Knowing that was happening, I cancelled my Visa so as to reapply for a MC as a "different product", but they emailed me that my card had already be changed just before it was cancelled. Yeah, right....
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Hopefully that will be true. I got burned with the transition from Visa to MC. Knowing that was happening, I cancelled my Visa so as to reapply for a MC as a "different product", but they emailed me that my card had already be changed just before it was cancelled. Yeah, right....
I got lucky and closed my card about a month before the transition and grabbed the new card for another bonus. Of course it's nothing compared to the mailer gravy train that some are getting.

Hopefully some more rumors start popping up soon besides the Ascend card.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hi-guy
Either the rep misspoke or I misinterpreted what she said. I have not received the card yet, but I did receive a letter mid-August stating "Your account change has been scheduled" which described the changes, interest rates and fees, and included the new Card Agreement Guide. The letter states the change will take effect on September 30, so I figured I'd just wait it out. If I haven't received the card two weeks from the 30th, I'll give them a shout.
Well, I have another update on my product change to a Costco Visa. To recap my previous posts, when I initially asked about a PC to Costco Visa, I was told no problem. Then the scheduled date for conversion passed and I contacted Citi who told me I could *not* PC out of the Hilton card despite what I had been told previously. I never bothered to push the subject any further and hadn't decided what to do with the Hilton card.

Well two days ago I got a call from Deanna - a Citi Program Manager. She admitted it was kind of an odd call and told me she didn't need any personal info from me (so it didn't feel scammy) but was reviewing some accounts and had my history about calling in to ask about the PC. She said that some customers had been told in error that they could not do a PC, and that if I still wanted to do so, she could make it happen. She would note my account and have me call back into the regular Citi 800 # (again so I wouldn't have to give a random caller my personal info without verifying they were really a Citi employee). The CSR agent would contact Deanna while on the phone with me, who could magically make the PC go through.

So I call the 800 # and get a clueless CSR. "Yes sir, I see the notes on your account, no, you cannot do a PC." I tell him I just spoke to someone 5 minutes ago who told me I can, so he puts me on hold again then comes back "Sorry sir, I've just spoken to my manager and we can't do a PC, only open a new card." So I ask if he checked with Deanna over IM as the notes in my account instruct him to do. "No, do you want me to do that?"

Anyway, he gets Deanna on the line eventually who takes my Costco account number and the conversion should be happening very soon.

So Deanna, if you're out there, THANK YOU. If only all the Citi people were as helpful!
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:14 am

Just checked the Citi website and see the Costco card associated with my online account. I still have not received the physical card yet. Ironically, the Hilton card associated with the same online login shows that a "new" card has been shipped. But, it reflects the last four as the new Costco card. I'm guessing because closing the Hilton, due to the PC, resulted in a new card being issued, the system associated the tracking with the Hilton card instead of the Costco card.

Either the rep misspoke or I misinterpreted what she said. I have not received the card yet, but I did receive a letter mid-August stating "Your account change has been scheduled" which described the changes, interest rates and fees, and included the new Card Agreement Guide. The letter states the change will take effect on September 30, so I figured I'd just wait it out. If I haven't received the card two weeks from the 30th, I'll give them a shout.
Originally Posted by bswiz
Did you actually receive your Costco card? See my message above - I was expecting to get the Costco card and Citi just told me it ain't gonna happen (after previously receiving confirmation it would).
Converted mine to the Costco card today. Rep said the new card including new Ts & Cs would ship within 10 business days and that I have until Sep 30 to change my mind. After that, the conversion will be permanent.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:59 am

Got the card in one envelope and the Welcome letter, Program Terms, and Guide to Protection Benefits in another envelope today.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

Citi just closed my no fee Hilton card for lack of use.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if Citi is getting dormant accounts off their books prior to conversion to Amex.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:41 pm

How long was it dormant for? I put $1 on my two HHonors cards last week after sitting dormant for 6+ months.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

How long was it dormant for?
I had closed all but this one and was keeping this open wondering what would happen when AMEX picks up the accounts. This one was opened within the last 12 months, I'd guess 7 or 8 months ago. I'd have to go back to my records to figure it out.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:51 pm

Time to close my my wife's Hilton cards, I don't need any possible new card messing up her 5/24
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Time to close my my wife's Hilton cards, I don't need any possible new card messing up her 5/24
Do we know yet what's happening to the Citi cards to give us a reason to cancel now?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had closed all but this one and was keeping this open wondering what would happen when AMEX picks up the accounts. This one was opened within the last 12 months, I'd guess 7 or 8 months ago. I'd have to go back to my records to figure it out.
Do we know yet what's happening to the Citi cards to give us a reason to cancel now?
We so don't know that we still don't if the no-fee card is going to Amex.

One recent rumor out there is that Amex is only picking up Reserve accounts, but Citi will keep and convert no-fee HH card accounts. But still, it's just a rumor.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 17, 2017 at 11:32 am Reason: corrected name of Citi AF card
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:38 am

There was also a comment in DoC's comment area that one (or two?) phone agents said there would still be a period to product change later this year, probably December. It would be at best a rumor at this point also, especially given Citi's staff are known to say whatever they want.

But combined with the rumors about the no-fee cards not getting sold, it's enough to make me hold off for now on cancelling as I'm in the group that has no interest in going over to Amex but I would like to keep my line open with Citi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.