Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by kocoliza
Hi everyone. question for anyone who may be able to help: Last applied for the free HH visa on 3/4/15. It is the only one I had open, but received an email today saying they closed it for inactivity. Any chance I could get away with applying for either the same or the Reserve today and their system missing it was just closed...? Any help is appreciated

I hate that this is reset my clock.
Sorry I can't answer that, but this is a good reminder to all of us to use every open Citi card at least twice a year. 2 small charges a year, even if the spend doesn't get much in the way of miles and points, is good insurance.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Went to apply for link B (60k, 24mo) and it looks like it's dead. Does anyone have a working 60k link?
I don't have any more 60k, 75k links, i posted awhile back a 50k-1k link somewhere in one of my old posts.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat Ambassador, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Sorry I can't answer that, but this is a good reminder to all of us to use every open Citi card at least twice a year. 2 small charges a year, even if the spend doesn't get much in the way of miles and points, is good insurance.
Wise words... ^ cautionary tale...
Old May 22, 2017, 11:11 am

Until just discovering this post, I didn't realize their was a no-AF version of this card. I have the $95 AF version, and the $95 is due. I think I'll cancel that card, and then reapply for the non-AF in 24 months for a new bonus.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I don't have any more 60k, 75k links, i posted awhile back a 50k-1k link somewhere in one of my old posts.
Thanks, I'll look for it.
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Until just discovering this post, I didn't realize their was a no-AF version of this card. I have the $95 AF version, and the $95 is due. I think I'll cancel that card, and then reapply for the non-AF in 24 months for a new bonus.
The 40k offer does not have the 24mo language so you can get it regardless of when you close the Reserve card. I'm in the same boat and need to get something in the next day or so before the clock resets or else I'll just wait for a new no 24mo offer to show up.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:34 am

The 40k offer does not have the 24mo language so you can get it regardless of when you close the Reserve card. .

I applied and got the standard "Please call, we need more information." But the wiki says NOT to call. Hmmmmmm
Old May 22, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
I applied and got the standard "Please call, we need more information." But the wiki says NOT to call. Hmmmmmm
If you want to call, you can call, i personally wouldn't worry about the statement.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:09 pm

Applied and approved for an HHonors card today. AF on Reserve due on the 24th. Can I cancel the card now without jeopardizing the new card's bonus?
Old May 23, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Applied and approved for an HHonors card today. AF on Reserve due on the 24th. Can I cancel the card now without jeopardizing the new card's bonus?
Not at all clear. Since they can approve a card without giving you the bonus, we don't know when the decision on whether you qualify for the bonus is made. We only know that by the time they send the welcome letter, if it mentions the bonus, the decision to give it you has already been made. But I don't know if we've established how many days after you're approved they typically send the welcome letter. (Most people just wait for the welcome letter to arrive and don't document the apparent issue or postmark date of such a letter, because 99.9% of the time it doesn't matter.)

So just because the card is approved is not good enough to not jeopardize it. You have to be sure the bonus was approved already, and as had been discussed much in these threads, there's no really reliable way of determining that until you get that welcome letter (on cards which mention the bonus in the welcome letter) or get the card and activate it and check for the online tracker.

Meanwhile, the Reserve being a consumer card, don't you have at least 30 days (from when?) to cancel it and get your annual fee returned? See here:
With that in mind, you may want to pay it now (to avoid any interest charges or late fees), and then cancel and ask for a refund later (once you're sure you've qualified for the bonus on the new card).

Last edited by sdsearch; May 23, 2017 at 3:14 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
With that in mind, you may want to pay it now (to avoid any interest charges or late fees), and then cancel and ask for a refund later (once you're sure you've qualified for the bonus on the new card).
Yup, wanted to play it safe and paid the AF earlier today. It's 30 days for Citi so that gives me a few extra days before I have to cancel to get the AF refunded. I'll be the DP I want to see soon

Does Citi even send a letter confirming the bonus for the no AF Hilton cards? Been years since we've gotten a new one. Wiki says yes.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:41 am

Yes, they do send a letter.
As for calling, I've always had to call on these non-AF citi cards. They say "thank you for applying, let me just review your application", 2 minutes later they come back I say "I can approve you with $7 or $8k credit, would that be enough for you or do you want to see other options?", I say, "yes, that is enough, thank you, have a nice day", and that's it.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by mikex163
I've always had to call on these non-AF citi cards. They say "thank you for applying, let me just review your application", 2 minutes later they come back I say "I can approve you with $7 or $8k credit,
I usually get the same thing. This time, however, she also added that I will not receive the 40K bonus points for this non-AF card because I already opened the AF version with 24 months. I just said Okay, but I'm banking on the fact that she was just reading a script and didn't realize that I had applied from the wiki link without the 24-month language.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat Ambassador, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Hi everyone. question for anyone who may be able to help: Last applied for the free HH visa on 3/4/15. It is the only one I had open, but received an email today saying they closed it for inactivity. Any chance I could get away with applying for either the same or the Reserve today and their system missing it was just closed...? Any help is appreciated

I hate that this is reset my clock.
Ok... so, kinda scary DP. Decided to apply for 40k Link. Denied. Great credit. Only 2 inq on report right now. I have a really old simplicity open and an AA Plat. This is what I was told by Recon: too many accounts open and closed just for the bonus. The rep explicitly said this and cited the 4 AA Executives that we opened and then closed 2 years ago for the 100k bonus. She said citi has changed its system to auto deny people who have opened and closed "too many" CITI cards. She said is something new and has nothing to do with credit report or history. SO applied to an AA Personal Plat and was told the same thing (obly Citi AA card currently open is Exec. Opened 24+ months ago.) I have scoured the web for other, similar reports. Is this new!??
* some of this was copied from my other post in the AA Plat thread*
Old May 27, 2017, 3:29 pm

Ok... so, kinda scary DP. Decided to apply for 40k Link. Denied. Great credit. Only 2 inq on report right now. I have a really old simplicity open and an AA Plat. This is what I was told by Recon: too many accounts open and closed just for the bonus. The rep explicitly said this and cited the 4 AA Executives that we opened and then closed 2 years ago for the 100k bonus. She said citi has changed its system to auto deny people who have opened and closed "too many" CITI cards. She said is something new and has nothing to do with credit report or history. SO applied to an AA Personal Plat and was told the same thing (obly Citi AA card currently open is Exec. Opened 24+ months ago.) I have scoured the web for other, similar reports. Is this new!??
Wow. More than a little scary. If true, this is seriously awful. I have to say, it seems inevitable that issuers will get to this point eventually. I know a lot of people disagree. Regardless, you have to make hay while the sun shines with each issuer.

Edited to add: the post above was deleted from the AAdvantage thread.

Last edited by LWT3; May 27, 2017 at 4:53 pm
Old May 27, 2017, 9:19 pm

Sad if true. However, it may or may not be true.

Over the years there have been various "the end is near" reports that have not panned out, because (a) Citi agents will say the darndest things and (b) with Citi, YMMV. This combination means that one report--OK, in this case, two reports---is not enough evidence to reach a universal conclusion. More data points are needed.

If this is indeed the end, I can't complain. We didn't have any right to get what we got so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.