Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by muji
Earlier this week, when negotiating to get a credit card approval, the agent said that he could not shift credit from one account (which has a very high credit limit) to accommodate a new account opening. Instead I had to close one account to accommodate opening a new account.

During this conversation he mentioned that I could separately (e.g., at a later date) lower the high credit limit but that this would involve a credit pull. I wanted to determine if that is generally true, or if the agent was mistaken.
I lower MOST of my cards to $1K or $2K. I leave $8K on my oldest no AF Citi card, just in case I should need to ever move some CL. Bc a mere $1K probably won't be enough to open a new card at Recon; certainly not an EXEC.

Since having done this I have been getting instant approvals again, with much higher CLs than before; which I quickly lower of course.

The CSR that said lowering a CL takes a HP is an idiot. I've lowered the CL on many cards from both Citi and Chase, and no HP has ever shown up for doing that. The reason for a HP is to determine if you qualify for a higher CL.

There is never any question if you qualify for a lower CL.

Even if they were to check your CR for something like that, it would be a SOFT pull anyway. Soft pulls don't have any affect on your CR.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by mikex163
No. Just send a Secure Message via the website and in a few minutes it's done.
In my experience, it's
  • send an SM
  • get back an irritating "Are you SURE you want to lower your CL?" SM
  • send another SM saying, "just do it already, pls"
  • CL lowered within a day or two, usually

On my latest HH Visa app this week, I failed to get an instant approval. Turns out that even after getting an SM acknowledging my 2nd request to lower CL (back in December) & promising to do so, Citi never actually did it, so I bumped up against their credit ceiling for me.

Honestly, I think it's probably faster & less aggravating to call, which is what I plan to do from now on.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
I just don't think your strategy will be a big ace in the hole if you ever do end up talking to a CSR. .
As I have said several times people are free to play this game as they wish.

Originally Posted by beltway
On my latest HH Visa app this week, I failed to get an instant approval.
My last 4 Citi apps (and last 3 for my wife) have not been the "Congratulations You Have Been Approved " variety but rather they say they need further review but at the end of picking my card options the screen says Welcome to Your New Citi Hilton Card or something to that effect.

While I can't speak for my application from 2 days ago thus far 6 of the 7 have been instant approval without any action on our part. I should know on # 7 next week but I have no reason to believe it's not an instant approval.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 23, 2015 at 12:16 pm
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:23 pm

On my latest HH Visa app this week, I failed to get an instant approval. Turns out that even after getting an SM acknowledging my 2nd request to lower CL (back in December) & promising to do so, Citi never actually did it, so I bumped up against their credit ceiling for me.

Honestly, I think it's probably faster & less aggravating to call, which is what I plan to do from now on.
You can easily check your current CL on your cc web page. I don't rely on the SM I get from them, I always check to make sure they have done it correctly.

In order to not get that "are you sure" (sic) response, you need to say something like this in your first SM:

I understand that after lowering my CL I may not be able to increase my CL on this account for the next 6 months, and I am ok with that.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:34 pm

In my experience, it's
  • send an SM
  • get back an irritating "Are you SURE you want to lower your CL?" SM
  • send another SM saying, "just do it already, pls"
  • CL lowered within a day or two, usually

If you use the following language there's no questioning back, they just do it

"Good morning,
I would like to reduce my credit limit on my card ending in XXXX to $YYYY. I understand this means I may not be able to increase this credit limit for 6 months, and that it will reduce my cash advance limit, and I'm fine with that. .
Thank you, [your name]"

I just did it this morning and it took less than 2 hours from my message to have the CL changed in the website.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:01 pm

I do the same thing as above. I just tell them I'm aware of the 6 month stipulation and to go ahead and lower the limit now.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
The reason for a HP is to determine if you qualify for a higher CL...Even if they were to check your CR for something like that, it would be a SOFT pull anyway. Soft pulls don't have any affect on your CR.
One follow-up question: If I were to request that some credit (e.g., from an account that has a high credit limit) be shifted over to another account from that issuer (to accomplish an increase in the credit limit on that other account) would a hard pull be done, or a soft pull?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:40 pm

One follow-up question: If I were to request that some credit (e.g., from an account that has a high credit limit) be shifted over to another account from that issuer (to accomplish an increase in the credit limit on that other account) would a hard pull be done, or a soft pull?
The credit is already extended to you, no pull should need to be done to reallocate lines of credit. But if they did pull anything it would be a soft pull. Hard pulls are only to request more credit where they'd need to asses your credit worthiness.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can easily check your current CL on your cc web page. I don't rely on the SM I get from them, I always check to make sure they have done it correctly.

In order to not get that "are you sure" (sic) response, you need to say something like this in your first SM:

I understand that after lowering my CL I may not be able to increase my CL on this account for the next 6 months, and I am ok with that.
This is what I have been doing. Works like a charm. I still prefer the SM method than calling, though if the card is approved for a much higher CL than ever needed, like a 14K HHonors - who would need that? Then would call to activate card and hopefully get the CSR to lower the line over the phone. Though it seems now Citi activation phone calls are automatic like AMEX has been, it hang up on you without an option to speak to rep.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LWT3
Your history of never having had to go to recon isn't relevant to whether it will help you in recon if you offer to move $1K from card #17 to a new app for card #18. That's the question here. You think someone with several HH cards open who gets sent to CSR review will be in good shape if they can offer to move $1K of credit limit to a new card. I'm picturing the conversation going like this -- CRS: "I see you have 5 open cards and you've opened and closed another dozen accounts with us in the past. Why should I approve your next application?" Cardholder: "I'm willing to move $1K from one or more of my existing sock-drawered cards. Will that help?"

I lower my limits to $1K, and I've never had to go to recon either. That's not proof that my strategy means I won't ever have to call in for approval, and it's not proof that retaining a limit of $2K is a mistake. I just don't think your strategy will be a big ace in the hole if you ever do end up talking to a CSR.

But all kidding aside, I have a ton of respect for anyone who has gotten 18 of these. I was late to the game and I'm on #5 for me and #4 for my wife. With the Exec cards we've gotten a million miles, which is decent but nothing like some of the serious players. I am not a leader, and I tip my hat to folks who have done this much better than I have. You are in that category.
Sheesh, flyer4512 NEVER says that his strategy is an ace in a hole - he just says this works for him and has data points to back it up. Your posts strike to me are just for the argument sake for the academia value, but no practical value to anyone if you get what I mean.

What are you in this game for? To get sign up bonuses as much as possible, right? Then why not just use the proven method that has been working for so many posts here instead of arguing that "does not prove" this strategy work? If you feel flyer4512 and others approach aint the one that has the higher success rate, then find one approach that you feel would give you better chance of success.

Everyone has his own way to achieve what he wants. Just do your own way and stop arguing which way is the better way.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:38 am

The answer to your question is dependent upon the issuer, timing of the request and the products you're using for the reallocation.

In the case of Citi, the only time I've been able to reallocate credit limits is when I've opened a new account. When I was not getting a new account my request was denied. The CSR and her manager said that my request was considered a "consolidation" and they wouldn't do it without a hard pull. I explained to them that I had done it before when I opened a new account, then the CSR said that I could do it with a new account but I may not be able to do it across certain "product families". I'm not sure what "certain product families" means, but I interpreted her comment to mean that there may be a restriction from reallocating your Citi Hilton CL to your AA Plat for example.

Now, Chase, BofA, USBank etc. have different rules.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I lower MOST of my cards to $1K or $2K. I leave $8K on my oldest no AF Citi card, just in case I should need to ever move some CL. Bc a mere $1K probably won't be enough to open a new card at Recon; certainly not an EXEC.
I lower the CLs thus on all my HH cards and any AA Gold cards and any AA business cards. But I leave somewhat higher CLs on one or two my Plat AA card(s), since I may need to buy airline tickets with those, since I keep getting 3x promos on those, etc. And they're in essence "no net AF" cards for me too (via seemingly endless retention bonuses).

So if ever needing to pull CL at app time again, I can do that from an AA Plat card.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I leave somewhat higher CLs on one or two my Plat AA card(s), since I may need to buy airline tickets with those, since I keep getting 3x promos on those, etc. And they're in essence "no net AF" cards for me too (via seemingly endless retention bonuses).
Wait...you "buy" airline tickets? You mean, like pay for them with your own money?

We haven't done that for a number of years now.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait...you "buy" airline tickets? You mean, like pay for them with your own money?

We haven't done that for a number of years now.
That is because you have not ever come across a situation which buying a ticket makes more sense then redeeming an award.

Sometimes buying a ticket makes more sense to use miles. I can think of several scenario but that is off the topic of this thread.

Besides not everyone only flies on leisure trips, there are some folks who do fly for work but the ticket cost is funded by self upfront. That is just one of the several scenarios I can think of immediately.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Happy
That is because you have not ever come across a situation which buying a ticket makes more sense then redeeming an award.

Sometimes buying a ticket makes more sense to use miles. I can think of several scenario but that is off the topic of this thread.

Besides not everyone only flies on leisure trips, there are some folks who do fly for work but the ticket cost is funded by self upfront. That is just one of the several scenarios I can think of immediately.
in this case means I was kidding. Yes, we only fly for leisure. So our short distance flights are covered by the SW CP, with my flight paid for with SW points, and my DW flies free. Almost always booked in advance at the Wanna Get Away rate. When my CP expires, she will get one, along with a ton of bonus points, and I will fly for free. Rinse and repeat @ every 2 years.

Europe and Asia in FC is way more expensive than we would ever pay, so that has to be on miles. One Asia trip next month, and Europe next Summer, both FC and already booked with miles, and all the hotels for both trips booked with points. Tons of more miles already in our accounts, and many more already in the pipeline, for future trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.