Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'm going to apply for the 75K card............what do I have to lose, maybe I spend the $2k and don't get the points. My family has churned the HH visa for over 2 million points............If I spend $2k for nothing ( 4K HH actually) who cares.

Just approved for $13.5 K......
No dice on the 75K as it was not mentioned in the approval letter so I am not making the spend.

I have 1 million HH points left...........time to start accumulating Marriott again, maybe some reserve cards , Arrival, cap 1 , etc..............it won't be as easy ( convenient) to get free rooms but it can still be done , for now.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
No dice on the 75K as it was not mentioned in the approval letter so I am not making the spend.

I have 1 million HH points left...........time to start accumulating Marriott again, maybe some reserve cards , Arrival, cap 1 , etc..............it won't be as easy ( convenient) to get free rooms but it can still be done , for now.
I am almost 100% sure that no credit card approval letter I have ever received has mentioned the bonus.

Correct me someone if I am wrong , but I have always gotten the bonus even without them mentioning it.

I just received my card and activated it online, this is my 2nd the first I received back in 2013.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Regarding your first point, it seemed their system was ill-equipped to handle this conversion process, so I was thinking to apply, just to see if I could get the 75K bonus. We have a trip coming up, and I need some hotel rooms, but after seeing the dismal redemption opportunities from Hilton at the time and place I need them, I'm inclined to pass on this opportunity.
Here's the problem with "trying": The 18 months is since the last account open or close, not since the last open on which you go a bonus. So if it's been a while since you did that conversion, and you're partway into your 18 months, be aware that "trying" for the 75k will reset your 18 months, whether you get the bonus or not.

These days, Citi will approve you for a new card whether or not they're going to give you a bonus. It's not like in the past where you could count on getting denied for the card itself if they weren't going to give you the bonus. So now, every attempt to get a bonus restarts the 18 month clock, but may not actually you get you a bonus.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 1 million HH points left...........
1 million HH points is still 50 nights at 20k/night hotels. Maybe you need to start looking for HH hotels which don't ask for as many points/night? They're still out there, just not in the most obvious "aspirational" places; that (plus the biggest city centers) is where the devaluation was the biggest.

The so-called devaluation actually reduced the redemption rates in some places far from big cities, though.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Here's the problem with "trying": The 18 months is since the last account open or close, not since the last open on which you go a bonus. So if it's been a while since you did that conversion, and you're partway into your 18 months, be aware that "trying" for the 75k will reset your 18 months, whether you get the bonus or not.

These days, Citi will approve you for a new card whether or not they're going to give you a bonus. It's not like in the past where you could count on getting denied for the card itself if they weren't going to give you the bonus. So now, every attempt to get a bonus restarts the 18 month clock, but may not actually you get you a bonus.
Very good to know, and I appreciate your follow-up. Not that it matters now, but the conversion process ended just about a month ago, so resetting the clock by a month is insignificant, in my estimation.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by duranza
I am almost 100% sure that no credit card approval letter I have ever received has mentioned the bonus.

Correct me someone if I am wrong , but I have always gotten the bonus even without them mentioning it.

I just received my card and activated it online, this is my 2nd the first I received back in 2013.
I have personally had over 20 of theses HH Visas and every one mentioned the bonus whether it be 40, 50 or 60K in the welcome letter............My family has had over 40 more of this same card.....same deal, approval letter always mentions the bonus.

If you received the card with no mention of the bonus (the bonus letter is not included with the card but rather comes a few days before as an approval letter) I doubt you will get the 75K............this same scenario played out with the AA cards when they went to the 18 month language..........no bonus mentioned = no bonus
Originally Posted by sdsearch
1 million HH points is still 50 nights at 20k/night hotels. Maybe you need to start looking for HH hotels which don't ask for as many points/night? They're still out there, just not in the most obvious "aspirational" places; that (plus the biggest city centers) is where the devaluation was the biggest.

The so-called devaluation actually reduced the redemption rates in some places far from big cities, though.
I don't have any desire to stay in hotels simply because they are less points. We have our vacations booked through April 2016, after that 1 million points will last about 2 years with no deval as we use about 520K per year via Axon 7 ( 190K) and 5th night free ( 160K).

Even HGI's near my dads house in CT are 30K and the one 20K Hampton is a dump. I use priceline there for a very nice Courtyard at ~$50 a night

I just grabbed a 70K Marriott to start stocking up

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 13, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I have personally had over 20 of theses HH Visas and every one mentioned the bonus whether it be 40, 50 or 60K in the welcome letter............My family has had over 40 more......same deal, letter always mentions the bonus.

I don't have any desire to stay in hotels simply because they are less points. We have our vacations booked through April 2016, after that 1 million points will last about 2 years with no deval as we use about 520K per year via Axon 7 ( 190K) and 5th night free ( 160K).

Even HGI's near my dads house in CT are 30K and the one 20K Hampton is a dump. I use priceline there for a very nice Courtyard at ~$50 a night

Whoa...the Axon 7 still exists? Where have I been...
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: N/A
I have personally had over 20 of theses HH Visas and every one mentioned the bonus whether it be 40, 50 or 60K in the welcome letter............My family has had over 40 more of this same card.....same deal, approval letter always mentions the bonus.

If you received the card with no mention of the bonus (the bonus letter is not included with the card but rather comes a few days before as an approval letter) I doubt you will get the 75K............this same scenario played out with the AA cards when they went to the 18 month language..........no bonus mentioned = no bonus

Can i ask if the card is still as churnable (I know the wiki still says its debateable)
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Whoa...the Axon 7 still exists? Where have I been...
Never went away, just increased from 145k to 190k for a cat 7.

Originally Posted by JBG89
Can i ask if the card is still as churnable (I know the wiki still says its debateable)
If you read my post you can see that I think it's done except for every 18 months.

I just got a 75K card but the approval letter never mentioned the bonus so I'm not spending the $2K but feel free to give it a shot
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:08 pm

Yep I screwed up.. didn't realize I had closed an account last year, just got off the phone with the account manager.
I did make a request for the 40k but won't know if I would get that either .
I will hear in 7 to 10 days.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:15 pm

Yep I screwed up.. didn't realize I had closed an account last year, just got off the phone with the account manager.
I did make a request for the 40k but won't know if I would get that either .
I will hear in 7 to 10 days.
Well at least you found out before you spent the $2K..........Marriott has a 70K /$2k spend , AF waived the first year deal for personal ad Business but it may not be around long
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:48 pm

Well at least you found out before you spent the $2K..........Marriott has a 70K /$2k spend , AF waived the first year deal for personal ad Business but it may not be around long
I already picked up that Marriott in Feb. my second one in 2 years.

So where do I find information on using my AMex HH for purchasing supermarket card for $500 and getting bonus points that way.
Does it matter what gift card I buy just that it should be in my grocery bill?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:22 pm

I already picked up that Marriott in Feb. my second one in 2 years.
Do/did you have a Marriott business Card also ? Starwood personal and Business, Wyndham , Cit Reserve ? Ariival and Cap 1 Venture ? Plenty f options still available

So where do I find information on using my AMex HH for purchasing supermarket card for $500 and getting bonus points that way.
Does it matter what gift card I buy just that it should be in my grocery bill?
MS is not my thing, I get what I need via signup bonuses, There is a MS forum

One thing to note though is I can't buy Visa gift cards on a credit card where I live.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 13, 2015 at 9:33 pm
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:29 pm

Do/did you have a Marriott business Card also ? Starwood personal and Business, Whydham , Cit Reserve ? Ariival and Cap 1 Venture ? Plenty f options still available
I don't apply for business cards.. just not my thing.

I have had the Wyndham, Starwood, presently have the Arrival+ and Capital 1.

I was thinking about the Citi Reserve.. if I don't get anything out of this new card that may be the route I will take.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:39 pm

I don't apply for business cards.. just not my thing.

I have had the Wyndham, Starwood, presently have the Arrival+ and Capital 1.

I was thinking about the Citi Reserve.. if I don't get anything out of this new card that may be the route I will take.
Well it seems you are pretty much tapped out. Whydham does have 2 personal cards.

I have had SW Companion pass for going on 3 years, the Hilton Churn lasted ( for me) about 3 years so I never needed any other airline or hotel miles so I was able to stock up on SPG, Whydham, AA, USair, United, Delta for years and never use them plus I still have slighlty over 1 million HH points

Let me know if Hilton gives you the 40K, I might consider spending $2K for it as it would top off a AXON or 5th night free.............alone 40k is of little value to me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.