Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I have had 18 HH Visa's within the past 2 years, I currently have 7 open.
18 is awesome. ^^^ I do worry that this churnability is on borrowed time, but it's been great while it lasted.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by LWT3
18 is awesome. ^^^ I do worry that this churnability is on borrowed time, but it's been great while it lasted.
You think? I think some of these smaller scale Citi cards will stay like this for a long time to come. They don't get as much promotion/blog posts as the big hitters like the AA cards do. At least, that's my hope
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
You think? I think some of these smaller scale Citi cards will stay like this for a long time to come. They don't get as much promotion/blog posts as the big hitters like the AA cards do. At least, that's my hope
I assume Citi has made a decision to put an end to limitless churnability on all their cards, and they've prioritized the big hitters like the AA cards first, but they won't stop until they've plugged every leak in their boat.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:10 pm

I assume Citi has made a decision to put an end to limitless churnability on all their cards, and they've prioritized the big hitters like the AA cards first, but they won't stop until they've plugged every leak in their boat.

Citi could have stopped this churn years ago but chooses not to for some reason.

I found a small leak and got card # 19 five minutes ago.

I have had 19, my wife just got HH Visa #10.

One other thing about this awesome churn is that we have not had to use any Marriott, IHG or SPG points so those accounts are growing and will be ready when the churn ends and we run out of HH points. We just booked our March 2016 vacation and also have April 2015, July 2015 and November 2015 already booked using HH points.

We have also yet to get any of the Reserve Cards.

Last edited by flyer4512; Mar 22, 2015 at 8:18 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:42 am

If using the link above, and not auto approved, does the bonus still apply? Only my 2nd card with citi, and both times they made me call, and approved me without even asking me anything.

On another note. I am trying to figure out why they have me calling for no reason, and I think it might be from applying for the cards around 4am? Either way I hope the welcome package mentions the 50k bonus.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:59 am

I'm someone who is "always on a spend" for a signup bonus. However for me a credit pull must be worth at least $400 and 50k Hilton points obviously doesn't pass the test. Even if I was planning a Hilton stay there are better ways. Using Aadvantage points the Embassy Suites Alexandria would cost you 33,000 points if you have the Aadvantage credit card (and even less if you are EXP with AA). Hilton charges 60k points with for the same hotel.
Thus you have to churn to even get one hotel night. This still will make sense for some but first you should exhaust all of the Citi AA cards.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Robl
I'm someone who is "always on a spend" for a signup bonus. However for me a credit pull must be worth at least $400 and 50k Hilton points obviously doesn't pass the test. Even if I was planning a Hilton stay there are better ways. Using Aadvantage points the Embassy Suites Alexandria would cost you 33,000 points if you have the Aadvantage credit card (and even less if you are EXP with AA). Hilton charges 60k points with for the same hotel.
Thus you have to churn to even get one hotel night. This still will make sense for some but first you should exhaust all of the Citi AA cards.
Mechanically, how do you book a hotel using AAdvantage points? I don't see it as an option on the hotel website, and I don't see a way to convert AAdvantage points to HHonors points.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:56 am

Mechanically, how do you book a hotel using AAdvantage points? I don't see it as an option on the hotel website, and I don't see a way to convert AAdvantage points to HHonors points.
Go here https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/ and log into your advantage account and select the city for your hotel. It will offer a lot of hotels after you hit search and then you can narrow it to Hilton if you like.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:24 am

Go here https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/ and log into your advantage account and select the city for your hotel. It will offer a lot of hotels after you hit search and then you can narrow it to Hilton if you like.
Wow, had no idea this existed. Thank you Robl for justifying all the wait-too-much time I spend reading through these boards.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:27 am

That's great information. Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by msfrugalista
That's correct. I just applied for my second Citi HHonors Visa Sig without closing my first (which I've had for over 2 years) and got approved. It was not instant - I think this was due to my recent (4 weeks prior to this application) application to the Citi Reserve card. I had to call the recon line and they just wanted to make sure I wanted both Citi cards (maybe they thought it was a dup). Rep on the phone did not even ask about the existing Citi HHonors Visa Sig card - just about the recent Reserve application. I also confirmed with her that I was eligible for the 50K bonus offer, and she said yes. So I think you're good to go!

Fabulous! Thank you! Does this also work with the Hilton Reserve?

Last edited by sparksals; Mar 23, 2015 at 12:34 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:27 pm

Are the Citi AA cards still constantly churnable ? I thought every link had the 18 month language now but I could be wrong as the spend was not worth it to me. Last time I looked AA wanted a $5K spend for 50K miles so to most people who don't MS that is not going to work very well. The $1k spend on the HH Visa = 360K HH points if you get 5 cards. I have had 19 of these cards without a trip to recon so for me Hilton is still a far better deal points wise and using my dates and hotel, redemption wise also.

The hotel I stay at often costs me between 32K and 47.5K Hilton points per night using Axon or 5th night free.

I put in the dates of my upcoming April stay that I used 190,000 HH points for 4 nights and to use AA it would cost me 329,100 Miles for 4 nights.

Figuring it might just be isolated to those dates I put in the 5 nights I have booked for Nov/Dec @160,000 HH and to use AA miles would cost me 171,700 miles.

Then I tried one more stay I have booked for a different hotel in Newport, RI this summer. I used 50,000 HH poinnts for one night and to use AA miles would be 59,000.

Last edited by flyer4512; Mar 23, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:20 pm

You are completely taking out the value of points if you think like this. AA miles are way harder to come by and way more valuable then HH points. I think you are actually wasting huge value booking a hotel for 33k AA instead of 60k HH.

33k AA @ 0.015/pp= $495
60k HH @ 0.005/pp= $300
(both valuations are on the low end)

You can see there that you wasted almost $200 of value using almost half the AA miles. I know people value redemptions differently, but I don't think it's hard to find over $400 in value with the 50k HH points.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Are the Citi AA cards still constantly churnable ? I thought every link had the 18 month language now but I could be wrong as the spend was not worth it to me. Last time I looked AA wanted a $5K spend for 50K miles so to most people who don't MS that is not going to work very well. The $1k spend on the HH Visa = 360K HH points if you get 5 cards. I have had 19 of these cards without a trip to recon so for me Hilton is still a far better deal points wise and using my dates and hotel, redemption wise also.

The hotel I stay at often costs me between 32K and 47.5K Hilton points per night using Axon or 5th night free.

I put in the dates of my upcoming April stay that I used 190,000 HH points for 4 nights and to use AA it would cost me 329,100 Miles for 4 nights.

Figuring it might just be isolated to those dates I put in the 5 nights I have booked for Nov/Dec @160,000 HH and to use AA miles would cost me 171,700 miles.

Then I tried one more stay I have booked for a different hotel in Newport, RI this summer. I used 50,000 HH poinnts for one night and to use AA miles would be 59,000.
The high cost using Aadvantage points is because you are not logged in as the holder of a Citi Aadvantage personal CC. If you do the miles required drops by 40-50%.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
You are completely taking out the value of points if you think like this. AA miles are way harder to come by and way more valuable then HH points. I think you are actually wasting huge value booking a hotel for 33k AA instead of 60k HH.

33k AA @ 0.015/pp= $495
60k HH @ 0.005/pp= $300
(both valuations are on the low end)

You can see there that you wasted almost $200 of value using almost half the AA miles. I know people value redemptions differently, but I don't think it's hard to find over $400 in value with the 50k HH points.
Aside from a category 1 hotel I don't know how you can get $400 out of 50k HH points. I could be wrong I guess. I have over 1 million lifetime Aadvantage points and I do little BIS flying so I don't find it difficult to accrue miles. Yes I can get more value flying J TATL as I am doing this fall on points but I have used points for all-inclusive stays in Jamaica and Cancun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.