Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Why not ask your wife if she would prefer to pay for the rooms out of her own money instead of using your points from "so many cards".

It sounds like she isn't getting these cards herself. If I was you, I'd also ask if she wants to come along on my next trip. If so, she needs to either do her own churning, or let you do it for her.
She gets it but differs with me on the ROI. She finds the activity associated with churning (apps, managing a dozen or open accounts, choosing the right card each transaction, calling in for retention offers) too much hassle. She's comfortable with 1-2 new cards per year. I don't mind too much; by never breaking 4/24 she can be our designated Chase churner!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
She gets it but differs with me on the ROI. She finds the activity associated with churning (apps, managing a dozen or open accounts, choosing the right card each transaction, calling in for retention offers) too much hassle. She's comfortable with 1-2 new cards per year. I don't mind too much; by never breaking 4/24 she can be our designated Chase churner!
For my wifes cards I make the spend in a few days. If she has a car insurance bill I pay it in full besides that I make the rest of the spend via Costco and our local grocery store gift cards and then she pays one bill and it's done.

My dad doesn't travel but lets me get cards in his name so I basically play this game for three people.

My wife uses INK or SPG for all her purchases.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
There are no hard and fast rules on the best way to play this game. So what she prefers to do is fine. In my case, there are no Chase cards that are valuable enough to make me want to stay at 4/24 to get them. But that's just me.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
There are no hard and fast rules on the best way to play this game. So what she prefers to do is fine. In my case, there are no Chase cards that are valuable enough to make me want to stay at 4/24 to get them. But that's just me.
There are other ways to stay below 4/24 besides applying for only 1 or 2 cards a year, but they require applying for almost nothing other than business cards. If this Hilton card is the only personal card you would want to apply for, you could apply for it up to 4 times over 24 months and otherwise apply only for business cards, and you'd still be under 4/24 no matter how many of those business cards you applied for.

I take it you either have no interest in United miles or have enough accumulated to last you a number of years? I know of no good way to get United miles from credit cards other than through Chase.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:20 pm

I learned a hard lesson. After the new 24 month rule I re-calibrated my application strategy and stopped canceling cards (I have had several HH cards). I was going to go for a Hilton Reserve card in January (24 months since my last application). Makes sense right?
Well last week I got a letter from Citi saying they cancelled my oldest HH card (several years old) due to inactivity (2 years). So there goes my 24 month clock and a good card for credit score aging.
It seems Citi is also now cracking down on dormant accounts. Use your cards!

I am not complaining too much given all that Citi has and is doing for me. Just another lesson that I thought I would pass along.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AugustWest
I learned a hard lesson. After the new 24 month rule I re-calibrated my application strategy and stopped canceling cards (I have had several HH cards). I was going to go for a Hilton Reserve card in January (24 months since my last application). Makes sense right?
Well last week I got a letter from Citi saying they cancelled my oldest HH card (several years old) due to inactivity (2 years). So there goes my 24 month clock and a good card for credit score aging.

I am not complaining too much given all that Citi has and is doing for me. Just another lesson that I thought I would pass along.
Actually, no "now" to it: Citi has been doing that for decades. It's just they aren't consistent about exactly how long the inactivity needs to be before they do it.

The general advice (across all banks) to avoid this has always been to use a "sockdrawered" card at least once a year.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest

I cancelled all of my Citi Hilton cards after my last Hilton Visa app except my oldest HH Visa but before that I always used them at least once every few months.

There is a 40K Hilton Visa link in the wiki without the 24 month language that you could apply for today
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:09 pm

If I understand this right, I can only apply for 1 citi hilton card every 24 months, after opening or closing any citi hilton card. So if I choose the hilton reserve card, I'd have to close that and wait 24 months to get the regular citi hilton?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:14 pm

That is correct, both Hilton cards share the same reset timer. The link in the wiki is a loophole that bypasses that timer.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:02 am

I got the $75k card without the 24 month language and I just finished the spend.
Can I now apply for the 40k reddit link in the wiki without the 24 month language and get the same card again and receive the bonus?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by lyst
If I understand this right, I can only apply for 1 citi hilton card every 24 months, after opening or closing any citi hilton card. So if I choose the hilton reserve card, I'd have to close that and wait 24 months to get the regular citi hilton?
Originally Posted by zerosoul
That is correct, both Hilton cards share the same reset timer. The link in the wiki is a loophole that bypasses that timer.
They could keep the card open instead of closing as well. Citi policy is opened OR closed in 24 months. Unless another app surfaces with no 24 month language like we've seen in the past.
Originally Posted by felicity5
I got the $75k card without the 24 month language and I just finished the spend.
Can I now apply for the 40k reddit link in the wiki without the 24 month language and get the same card again and receive the bonus?
As long as there's no 24 month language and you follow the 8/65 Citi rule you're good to go. Also might be best to lower credit lines to help with an instant approval.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lyst
Unless the no-24-month-language link for the regular Citi Hilton survives past you getting the Reserve. In that case, no close or wait needed (other than normal Citi 8/65 day waits), just using the correct link is needed.

In fact, no close needed at all. The other option (if ignoring no-language links) is to keep the Reserve open indefinitely (keeping HH Gold status from it), then apply for the regular Citi Hilton every two years (closing the previous one as soon as you're approve for the next one).

But why do you want to get the Reserve? Is it for the free weekend night certs, or the Gold status? The Gold status you can also get from the Amex Surpass (for a slightly lower annual fee), and that's from another bank, so wouldn't upset your Citi clock.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Who do i bother about getting my 10,000 annual loyalty points bonus to post? Citi or hilton?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Who do i bother about getting my 10,000 annual loyalty points bonus to post? Citi or hilton?
You first need to verify that Citi counted $1000+ HH hotel spend on the card in 2016. Did you verify that (either by going through your statements with a calculator or by asking them)? Without that much HH hotel spend, there's no such bonus.

Also, did you ask them when it's supposed to post? Maybe it just takes longer than you think?

Yes, since it's a feature of the card, definitely start with Citi.

You'd only want to bother Hilton if Citi says (on your statement) they sent 10k points but days later it didn't show up at Hilton.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 14, 2017 at 8:02 am
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:56 am

Anyone have any luck being matched to the higher offer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.