Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to link a new AAdvantage account to a Citi AAdvantage card?

Old Dec 29, 14, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I have an ® / AAdvantage® Executive World EliteTM MasterCard®.

I don't have an AAdvantage account; I'm a US Airways frequent flyer.

Can I link my US Airways Dividend Miles number to this credit card so that I get US Airways miles for it?

If not, do I need to open an AAdvantage account? Once I've done that, how do I link it to the credit card?

Sorry for the elementary questions; I've just searched high and low on the Citi website and can't find the answers.

Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 14, 8:58 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
Can I link my US Airways Dividend Miles number to this credit card so that I get US Airways miles for it?
No. Citi created an AAdvantage account for you when you applied for the credit card, if you left that application field empty.
Old Dec 30, 14, 3:22 am
Original Poster

If Citi created an AAdvantage account for me, is there a way (online- not by calling Citi) to find out what the AAdvantage account is?

When I go to the AA website, it tells me that I can obtain my AAdvantage number by entering my email address and name. When I do that, a message appears, stating that there is no account available by that information.
Old Dec 30, 14, 6:42 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I believe this must be done by telephone. You may find these threads helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ge-number.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ge-number.html
Old Jan 2, 15, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Perfect, thank you!
Old Oct 3, 15, 10:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
I have this same problem, new Citi AA card without know what my AAdvanatge number is.
I called Citi, and they just told me to call AA to find out.
Is this correct that I have to call AAdvantage and Citi does not have the information? I can't find out since AA is closed on weekend.
Old Oct 3, 15, 10:40 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Ayase View Post
I have this same problem, new Citi AA card without know what my AAdvanatge number is.
I called Citi, and they just told me to call AA to find out.
Is this correct that I have to call AAdvantage and Citi does not have the information? I can't find out since AA is closed on weekend.
If you have never been and AAdvantage member, then AA created an AAdvantage account number for you associated to your US Account (that is, if you are in the same situation as the OP). Now, if you did not use this number (because you did not know it or did not have one) when you applied for the Citi AA card, then you most have left the AAdvantage number in the application blank, meaning they created a new one for you to deposit the miles earned.
So Citi was correct, you need to call AAdvantage and they will figure out both numbers and pretty much merge the accounts into a single one (I do not know which one you ll keep) or give you your AAdvantage number and start getting all your miles there. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread