Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit? (Dec 2014 - Jul 22,2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread for details.

Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

FAQ
Will I be able to earn points on rooms booked via the Concierge?
Yes

What rates can the Concierge book?
Any rate you can book online at the hotel website should be bookable by the Concierge.

Are taxes included in the 4th night refund?
Currently yes. For reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this will change and taxes will not be included.

How to book.

By phone: 1-561-922-0158 (concierge direct), or call the toll free number on the back of your card.

By email: Send to [email protected].
Include:
  • Your name & email
  • Last 4 digits of your card number
  • Hotel name (plus address or link if it may be confused with a similar named property)
  • Stay dates
  • Number of guests in the room
  • Any rate type requests (AAA, AARP, etc)
  • Your hotel chain loyalty number, if applicable

Terms & Conditions: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/additional-info/citi.action?ID=AdditionalInfo-CitiPrestige
Print Wikipost

Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit? (Dec 2014 - Jul 22,2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Makes sense.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Made 2 4nt-bookings. Still have not received the confirmation email but do see the bookings were made on my hotel accounts. Been 3 days... but supposed to be 24hrs !? Never had an issue with this before the change. Should I just wait it out and expect it to be sent to me "soon"
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
The terms of the program is the amount of the 4th night is locked in at the time of booking; so it can go in favor or against the you.
My most recent booking was in Euro, and the Aspire concierge rep said the amount actually reimbursed could vary with the exchange rate at time of the actual stay.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I got an email quote 2 days ago from Aspire. I actually booked it today (side note: call took 40 minutes just to book using AAA rate and adding my SPG number -- was very frustrating). The quote email had the 4th night free benefit, the booking email confirmation did not. Both reference the same "Case Number" Am I good to go or does the final confirmation need to show the 4th night free benefit?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:42 pm

Aspire concierge is absolutely nightmare in dealing with. Experience with Ten Group were pretty good in the past, although when they changed the policy late last year that require you to get a quote first before you can talk to CW agent was annoying. With Aspire, I've had 4 calls each with wait time between 20-30 mins. Twice agents say they will cal me back but never did. Once the agent's line is all static I can't hear anything she says. They don't follow up, they are impossible reach. Most of agents sounds like stay at home mom picking up a side job rather than professional in hospitality/travel industry. Very frustrating...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by windonwaters
Aspire concierge is absolutely nightmare in dealing with. Experience with Ten Group were pretty good in the past, although when they changed the policy late last year that require you to get a quote first before you can talk to CW agent was annoying. With Aspire, I've had 4 calls each with wait time between 20-30 mins. Twice agents say they will cal me back but never did. Once the agent's line is all static I can't hear anything she says. They don't follow up, they are impossible reach. Most of agents sounds like stay at home mom picking up a side job rather than professional in hospitality/travel industry. Very frustrating...
Welp... anyone think Citi is getting a kickback from the travel agency to help pay for this program? And Aspire is the new low bidder?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
... anyone think Citi is getting a kickback from the travel agency to help pay for this program?
This benefit is provided by MasterCard, not by Citi. Hotel commission rates are often high enough to support the benefit.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This benefit is provided by MasterCard, not by Citi. Hotel commission rates are often high enough to support the benefit.
Doesnt matter WHO is providing the benefit. (and if you have some inside info into the ACTUAL business entity that provides the funding that would be interesting.) Im not sure we would ever know the business architecture behind this 'benefit'

The point of my post is that the 10% per night commission- for 4 nights this is 40% of a single night stay- is (IMO) likely being used to offset the cost of the benefit. Hotels pay it to the IATA number on the record, how this gets BACK to the entity that credits by statement does not much matter.

(I also wonder if this vendor may have a better commission rate?)

A vendor that pays Citi or Mastercard or "prestige joint limited whatever" an extra point on the kickback might win the contract.

That was my point
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
(and if you have some inside info into the ACTUAL business entity that provides the funding that would be interesting.)... 10% per night commission-
I have no inside information, i merely read the terms of the offer which explicitly tell us that this benefit is provided by Mastercard.

Hotel commission rates are often 25%.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
I've recently encountered some difficulty trying to book hotels for several trips. Each call takes about 20 minutes of listing to that awful music to get through to someone. Though each agent I've talked to is very nice, I've received subpar service with failure to respond within five days (I had to call back to find out what happened), sending me the wrong information on hotel quotes, conflicting information (one told me that Citi Prestige has benefits with Four Seasons while another agent said the opposite). One agent told me the company was very understaffed and behind because they have a surge in workload.

Sometimes I wonder if this benefit is even worth it due to all the trouble of this archaic process. Also, I seem to get much higher quotes or prepay only from the Concierge whereas the hotel or other travel sites offer lower or non-prepaid rates.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:22 pm
Suspended

No doubt they're understaffed because they just added Prestige as a client.

The best thing to do is find the rate you want before you call to book the fourth night free.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I have no inside information, i merely read the terms of the offer which explicitly tell us that this benefit is provided by Mastercard.

Hotel commission rates are often 25%.
Thanks.

I did see that Mastercard credits the bill, so to the end consumer it appears to be from mastercard. The question of how the benefit is funded is still open.

IME, 10% is the bottom- if a hotel pays an IATA commission it will be 10%. (Historically I had heard of 6 and 8, but that was some time ago. Remember the printed hotel guide with the commission codes in them? )

I guess we wont know how 'often' commissions are 25%. I rarely see those, but admittedly I do not use a big large volume TA nor do I stay at large hotel chains.

I do know that on two upcoming stays, CWT had to call the property, get a manual quote and they were told what commission the property would pay- when my TA asked, he was told 10%. I estimate that when CWT called and asked they too were told 10%. Might it be 25% at large chains where CWT has volume contracts? Sure.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Are you talking about old bookings or new ones? I thought CWT was no longer involved in Prestige fourth-night bookings, but maybe incorrect info. was floating around.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:26 pm

I made a few bookings when CWT and near the end, I found that it's better to have a specific hotel, room type and rate and dates in mind. I fed the CSR the info and things would be taken card in a timely manner. I did the email thing initially but the reps told me it just slowed down the process.

I tried the same approach with Aspire and it still works, albeit slower and less efficient.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:37 pm

Thanks.

I did see that Mastercard credits the bill, so to the end consumer it appears to be from mastercard. The question of how the benefit is funded is still open.

IME, 10% is the bottom- if a hotel pays an IATA commission it will be 10%. (Historically I had heard of 6 and 8, but that was some time ago. Remember the printed hotel guide with the commission codes in them? )

I guess we wont know how 'often' commissions are 25%. I rarely see those, but admittedly I do not use a big large volume TA nor do I stay at large hotel chains.

I do know that on two upcoming stays, CWT had to call the property, get a manual quote and they were told what commission the property would pay- when my TA asked, he was told 10%. I estimate that when CWT called and asked they too were told 10%. Might it be 25% at large chains where CWT has volume contracts? Sure.
FWIW, when I inquired with one of the new Aspire agents about the new process and why CWT agents were no longer needed to be looped in, he told me MasterCard was no longer involved in the process and that Citi is now providing the benefit. It is possible that he was misinformed, but note that MasterCard had not previously come up at all in the conversation, so he at least knew that MC had provided the benefit in the past on his own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.