FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

sdsearch Jan 7, 16 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 25978728)
Just want to be certain , Is closing my first with AF due, Citi AA Plat select that converted to WE the best way to go ? Denied credit @ retention.

Am I correct in that it does not influence the 18 months clock, and CL goes back faster than asking to transfer CL to another card before closing.

Thanks

You're correct on one, but backwards on the other.

Closing a WE does not restart the 18 month clock. On that you are correct.

However, the CL goes back much slower when you close than if you ask for the CL to be reduced while the card is still open. So SM Citi asking for the credit to be reduced to something like $2k as soon as you can (before you close the card).

NTP9766 Jan 7, 16 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25978974)
Closing a WE does not restart the 18 month clock. On that you are correct

I had no idea that a WE card would not restart the clock after is it closed (didn't see it in the wiki, though it makes sense given that it's a different product). This may change my course of action, forcing me to open a 3rd account if this newest card gets converted soon. I was only planning on opening a single card every 2 years.

bigshooter Jan 7, 16 2:43 pm

Received my 2nd Plat WE converted card last week, reduced credit line yesterday (why do i have to confirm things so many times of SM??? had a confirmation sitting there for weeks) and approved for 3rd Plat today using 4d. Hope this rollercoaster doesn't end and I don't plan on trying to match to the 60k offer... not going to get too greedy on this.

rover4618 Jan 7, 16 3:21 pm

I got the Gold card last month is there anything I can do to get the WE conversion eg. SM or phone or do you just have to wait and see ?

Richard Berg Jan 7, 16 5:01 pm

I got a Platinum card last May. Pretty sure I have only been sent 1 card in that time -- a WE. Does that mean I was "upgraded" from W between approval and mailing? If not, does that mean there is no W->WE loophole for me to exploit?

IAD_flyer Jan 7, 16 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by rover4618 (Post 25979997)
I got the Gold card last month is there anything I can do to get the WE conversion eg. SM or phone or do you just have to wait and see ?

If you ask they are going to say there is nothing they can do, in other words you will have to wait. But they can confirm if it happened.

Originally Posted by Richard Berg (Post 25980567)
I got a Platinum card last May. Pretty sure I have only been sent 1 card in that time -- a WE. Does that mean I was "upgraded" from W between approval and mailing? If not, does that mean there is no W->WE loophole for me to exploit?

Does the back of your card say "World" with yellow and red or "World Elite" with sliver? Also on your online account check to see if it says under "Profile & Settings" then "Set Default Account and Nickname": "Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard®" meaning W or "Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select®" meaning WE.

Sortek Jan 7, 16 10:26 pm

I have an aged Plat Select Visa (yeah I know right) and am excited to churn again. Just finished SM CL reduction on that and HHonors Reserve to free up $7k. How long until that credit is freed up in the system for a new application? Thanks.

P.S. Are the Citi AA Visa's truly gone?

rover4618 Jan 8, 16 12:59 am

I had a Platinum card that I closed a year ago and don't recall if it converted to WE.
I called Citi and they said there was no way to tell if it was a world or WE.

Any way to find out ? Waiting another 6 months will suck.

NTP9766 Jan 8, 16 8:00 am

For my own sanity, it sounds like if your cards keep getting converted to WE, you should really never have to worry about the 18-month rule, no? That said, let's assume I follow this schedule (also assuming each card is converted):

• 10/15: Apply for personal Platinum W MC using 4c/d (let's call this card CP1)
  • 11/15: CP1 converted to WE
  • 12/15: Apply for 2nd personal Platinum W MC using 4c/d (CP2), either lower CL on CP1 or close CP1
  • 1/16: CP2 converted to WE
  • 2/16: Apply for 3rd personal Platinum W MC using 4c/d (CP3), either lower CL on CP2 or close CP2
  • 3/16: CP3 converted to WE
  • Rinse, repeat...

I know I have to follow the 8/65 rule, but the 18-month rule is now out the window, correct? And closing my WE cards would not prevent me from applying for new W cards and receiving the bonus? It also sounds like some of you have 7-10 cards open at once, and while I do plan on canceling each card eventually, my alternative was going to be simply lowering the CL to $2k before applying for each new card.

I keep track of my churning, so the whole WE conversion really threw things for a loop in a good way, because I would have no problem meeting the minimum spend every few months.

bobert24 Jan 8, 16 9:27 am

I haven't been able to be around much for the past month or so, so my apologies if this has been established since that time. But I have a data point on what was a pretty big question when I was last active:

Reducing the CL on your card doesn't appear to affect its eligibility to convert to WE (at least when the CL is $3k or greater). I accidentally reduced the CL on mine (down to $3k) too soon, but the conversion went through a week or so later, with a new card arriving in the mail a week or two after that. I now have the platinum card listed as one I might be interested in on citi's website, so everything appears to be going normally.

Whether you want to reduce your CL sooner rather than later is up to you (I probably won't). It really all depends on how much free credit you have, and how soon you'll need it.

bobert24 Jan 8, 16 9:42 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 25979733)
Hope this rollercoaster doesn't end and I don't plan on trying to match to the 60k offer... not going to get too greedy on this.

Agreed. We've gotten over 1 million AA miles each from Citi in the past 24 months. I'm not going to risk anything that might put me on their radar for an extra 10k miles. The risk just isn't worth the reward, at least for me.

Originally Posted by Sortek (Post 25981913)
I have an aged Plat Select Visa (yeah I know right) and am excited to churn again. Just finished SM CL reduction on that and HHonors Reserve to free up $7k. How long until that credit is freed up in the system for a new application? Thanks.

P.S. Are the Citi AA Visa's truly gone?

Common wisdom around here is 6-8 weeks, although we've definitely seen it happen faster. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that 6-8 weeks is the "safe" timeframe.

And yes, they're gone. Citi is now MC only, with a small exception or two (HH Reserve being one of them). Your AA Visa will eventually be converted to an MC. You're probably one of the few left with a Visa, actually.

I don't know if it was ever established whether that conversion affects your ability to churn - I had an AA Visa that I converted to a Double Cash a few months ago, to avoid any complications. Actually, now that I think about it, I believe the fear over conversion of Visas being a problem was before the W->WE conversion thing started. That seems to have overridden pretty much any other rule related to timing (except 8/65, of course).

bobert24 Jan 8, 16 9:46 am

Originally Posted by rover4618 (Post 25982303)
I had a Platinum card that I closed a year ago and don't recall if it converted to WE.
I called Citi and they said there was no way to tell if it was a world or WE.

Any way to find out ? Waiting another 6 months will suck.

If you closed it a year ago, did you open it a year (or more) before that? If it was a Visa, rather than a MC, you're good to go - they're considered completely different products.

Otherwise, you can go to citicards.com, scroll to the bottom, click on the link that says "Pre-qualified for a Credit Card? See what credit card offers are available to you and see if you're pre-qualified", fill in your info, and see if the Platinum card is listed anywhere on the results page (prequalified or cards you might be interested in). I think we're right at 100% that if the card is listed on that page, you're eligible for it and the bonus.

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 25983381)
For my own sanity, it sounds like if your cards keep getting converted to WE, you should really never have to worry about the 18-month rule, no? That said, let's assume I follow this schedule (also assuming each card is converted):

• 10/15: Apply for personal Platinum W MC using 4c/d (let's call this card CP1)
  • 11/15: CP1 converted to WE
  • 12/15: Apply for 2nd personal Platinum W MC using 4c/d (CP2), either lower CL on CP1 or close CP1
  • 1/16: CP2 converted to WE
  • 2/16: Apply for 3rd personal Platinum W MC using 4c/d (CP3), either lower CL on CP2 or close CP2
  • 3/16: CP3 converted to WE
  • Rinse, repeat...

I know I have to follow the 8/65 rule, but the 18-month rule is now out the window, correct? And closing my WE cards would not prevent me from applying for new W cards and receiving the bonus? It also sounds like some of you have 7-10 cards open at once, and while I do plan on canceling each card eventually, my alternative was going to be simply lowering the CL to $2k before applying for each new card.

I keep track of my churning, so the whole WE conversion really threw things for a loop in a good way, because I would have no problem meeting the minimum spend every few months.

Yep, you've got it. The only thing I'm not completely sure about is that closing WE cards doesn't affect eligibility for the bonus. But as I mentioned a couple posts ago, I haven't been around for the past month or so, so that may well have been established for sure since then, so don't take my word for it. As for the rest of it, you're dead on.

bobert24 Jan 8, 16 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Compfreak (Post 25975221)
Does anyone know if the AA Business Card is churnable?Does it fall under the 18 month rule? New users only (as stated in the wiki)? What's actually enforced?

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 25978557)
there is no 18 months rule for business, i would read the wiki to understand how business cards Churn-ability ( i don't know if this is even a word:D)work, not work, YMMV.

Yep. We've had 7 biz cards, and unfortunately, the wiki (as unclear as it may be) is 100% accurate on those. There's no 18-month rule, and YMMV on whether or not you can churn them. The wiki isn't clear because the rules just aren't clear (or more accurately, appear to vary by person).

I actually haven't seen any data points on that recently. Has anyone recently (within the past year or so) been denied for a Biz card because you'd had one previously? If so, was the previous card still open, or had it been closed for at least a month or two?

diclemeg Jan 8, 16 10:36 am

heads up

I was rejected recently, moreover citi told me they wouldn't process the application because they claim I had 2 applications already in the past 65 days, which I dont think is true... my data points...

mid september : citi aa platinum select world, which morphed into the world elite card, and closed in december

mid november: citibusiness mc still open

mid november: opened a checking account (citigold)

this week: citi aa personal plat world (link 4c)

when i applied, i was immediately rejected online, so i called, and they told me ive applied twice already in the past 65 days, and that i now have to wait under 60 days to apply again.

THEREFORE... to take from this, a citi checking account must be considered as an application.

NTP9766 Jan 8, 16 10:44 am

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 25984054)
Yep, you've got it. The only thing I'm not completely sure about is that closing WE cards doesn't affect eligibility for the bonus. But as I mentioned a couple posts ago, I haven't been around for the past month or so, so that may well have been established for sure since then, so don't take my word for it. As for the rest of it, you're dead on.

I'm a little hesitant to close the cards now, honestly. I'm hoping that others who have done what I intend to do (or can say for certain) chime in here.