FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

bigshooter Jan 3, 16 2:34 pm

You didn't mention whether the card was converted from W to WE or not.

boris10475 Jan 3, 16 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by pritomd (Post 25954914)
Datapoint: approved for AA Plat Visa on 11/10/2015. Received World card a week or two later. Today, 01/03/2015, I received my WE upgrade. Just activated it.

I did not ask about W->WE conversion or anything. The only SM I asked was to get the 10K bonus points to match the 60K offer (which they did without an offer code). Same exact CC #, exp date, and CVV number. Now have a holographic stripe and WE logo instead of colored World MC logo. Limit is $11,000 (only spent $10,500 for Citi Savings account funding). Did not get any notification online, but I did have an alert in my mobile app. Can't recall when exactly it showed up.

Am I good to go to apply for another Citi AA Plat personal card and be eligible for the 50K bonus (and if I'm feeling lucky and get approved, ask for the 60K match)?

11/10/15 card got to be Platinum W MC. There has been no AA visas to apply for in awhile. In any case you are good to go subject to 8/65 and 6Hp/6 Months rules

boris10475 Jan 3, 16 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by timzheng (Post 25954792)
I closed my AAdvantage Visa card recently. I've never had a Platinum Select MasterCard. Can I get signon bonus for MC? Or do I have to wait 18 months since my Visa closure?

No wait, you are good to apply and collect the bonus if approved subject to 8/65 and 6HP/6 months rules

boris10475 Jan 3, 16 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by changger1 (Post 25954618)
Here's a data point for anyone who might need it. I helped my mother sign up for a Citi Platinum and Citi Exec card on June 2014. The Exec card was canceled March 2015. I just helped her try to sign up for another Citi Platinum. Got a declined message. Called up reconsideration for her and the Rep said she could have the card but since she canceled the Exec card in March 2015 she's not eligible for the bonus since she can only receive a bonus every 18 months. It didn't sound right since the Platinum and Exec are different products, but the Rep's computer told her otherwise.

Citi CSRs often do not know what they are talking about. If your mother did not open or close any Platinum card in the last 18 months she should be eligible for a bonus. The reason she got declined for a card has nothing to do with her eligibility for a bonus anyways.

changger1 Jan 3, 16 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by boris10475 (Post 25956159)
Citi CSRs often do not know what they are talking about. If your mother did not open or close any Platinum card in the last 18 months she should be eligible for a bonus. The reason she got declined for a card has nothing to do with her eligibility for a bonus anyways.

Just to follow up, she actually didn't get declined for the card. The reconsideration rep said she would approve her application for the card, but the new card would have no bonus.

boris10475 Jan 3, 16 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by changger1 (Post 25956533)
Just to follow up, she actually didn't get declined for the card. The reconsideration rep said she would approve her application for the card, but the new card would have no bonus.

Do not take Citi's CSRs seriously. Just wait for the welcome letter in the mail which would either indicate the bonus or omit any mentioning of the bonus. That letter is your answer on eligibility. The letter usually comes before the actual card does.

PaulMSN Jan 3, 16 11:23 pm

I just received a WE MC today for the W I received in November, so I guess I'm going to apply again. I still have an unconverted W MC, but that was also the case in November, so I don't think it will matter.

NTP9766 Jan 4, 16 5:35 am

Datapoint:

10/15: Opened new personal Platinum W MC using link 4c (50k/$3k)
11/15: Received a targeted 60k/$3k offer in the mail, asked Citi to match it and they did
11/15: Card was converted to WE
12/15: Opened new personal Platinum W MC using link 4c (50k/$3k)
12/15: SM'd Citi to match the 60k/$3k offer, and they did

Next time I'll try not to throw out my targeted offers, because I did so just days before my first card was converted to WE.

ZzzzX Jan 4, 16 6:58 am

Just burned a chunk of AA miles arranging a vacation...time to hop back on the AA train while it lasts....

sdsearch Jan 4, 16 10:06 am

Originally Posted by changger1 (Post 25954618)
Here's a data point for anyone who might need it. I helped my mother sign up for a Citi Platinum and Citi Exec card on June 2014. The Exec card was canceled March 2015. I just helped her try to sign up for another Citi Platinum. Got a declined message. Called up reconsideration for her and the Rep said she could have the card but since she canceled the Exec card in March 2015 she's not eligible for the bonus since she can only receive a bonus every 18 months. It didn't sound right since the Platinum and Exec are different products, but the Rep's computer told her otherwise.

Originally Posted by changger1 (Post 25956533)

As mentioned by others already, the reps that approve (or decline) your application don't know whether you're actually eligible for a bonus. They're just guessing.

So please wait for the letter and tell us what it says about a bonus when you get it. There is no indication earlier than the letter which reliably tells you whether you will get a bonus or not.

Btw, if there's any risk of 18 months in your scenario at all, it would be from the open in June 2014 of the Plat, not from close in March 2015 of the Exec. Reason: Citi is known to count wrong. Just because it's 19 months now per calendar months since June 2014 doesn't mean that's how Citi is counting.

freeflyin Jan 4, 16 11:54 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 25941871)
I did something similar,took a chance and recently applied for #3(using 60K mailer for another family member). Instantly approved with a large CL. Card #2 was converted sometime last week without any notification. I some larger spending upcoming and want to get the 3K spent quickly.

I am hoping that I didn't jump the gun,but should know shortly when the letter arrives confirming the bonus.

Update and it's good news- new WE for card #2 arrived on 1/2-less than 10 days after seeing the change online.

Today card #3 arrived ,along with the letter stating the bonus-the 60K from a family member's mailer.

Who knows how long this pattern will last? While I am tempted to continue as long as it appears to work, I may stop now and save inquiries for this upcoming year for other cards.

MaderTravels Jan 4, 16 1:43 pm

Datapoint

Datapoint:

Applied for 1st Personal Citi AA Plat Select on 6/3/15 (World)
Approved with 50k miles after 3k spend

Conversion happened in July or August to WE (can't remember exactly when)

Applied for 2nd Personal Citi AA Plat Select on 1/4/16 (today) (World)
Approved, after moving CL. CSR confirmed 50k miles w/ 3k spend, as normal.

7 months between applications.

fromfall98 Jan 4, 16 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by MaderTravels (Post 25960804)
Datapoint:

Applied for 1st Personal Citi AA Plat Select on 6/3/15 (World)
Approved with 50k miles after 3k spend

Conversion happened in July or August to WE (can't remember exactly when)

Applied for 2nd Personal Citi AA Plat Select on 1/4/16 (today) (World)
Approved, after moving CL. CSR confirmed 50k miles w/ 3k spend, as normal.

7 months between applications.

Wow!!! Does that mean 18 months open / close rule is being relaxed? It appears so, just trying to be sure :)

Aragonese Jan 4, 16 6:00 pm

Another data set

7/1/15 applied / approved for W #1 using (I think) 4c, $25k credit line

~9/1/15 #1 converted to WE

10/2/15 applied / approved for W #2 using 4c, $25k credit line

~11/20/15 #2 converted to WE

~11/30/15 sent secure message asking for additional 10k miles, just said that I had seen the 60k offer and would like to be matched to it; quickly received a positive response

11/26/15 - 12/25/15 issues with posting of signup bonus, miles from Nov. spend, and 10k match, all of which then posted a full billing cycle late; seems not unusual based on another thread

12/4/15 lowered #1 credit limit to $5k in preparation of #3

1/4/16 (today) applied / approved for W #3 using 4c, $23.5k credit line (offered up to $25k line if I lowered another card by $1.5k, didn't bother), confirmed 50k signup bonus terms

kannon99 Jan 4, 16 6:05 pm

Is anyone having trouble with Citi SM? I have sent a few and get no replies. Is there no way of seeing sent messages unless they are replied too?