FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

freeflyin Jan 4, 2016 11:54 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 25941871)
I did something similar,took a chance and recently applied for #3(using 60K mailer for another family member). Instantly approved with a large CL. Card #2 was converted sometime last week without any notification. I some larger spending upcoming and want to get the 3K spent quickly.

I am hoping that I didn't jump the gun,but should know shortly when the letter arrives confirming the bonus.

Update and it's good news- new WE for card #2 arrived on 1/2-less than 10 days after seeing the change online.

Today card #3 arrived ,along with the letter stating the bonus-the 60K from a family member's mailer.

Who knows how long this pattern will last? While I am tempted to continue as long as it appears to work, I may stop now and save inquiries for this upcoming year for other cards.

MaderTravels Jan 4, 2016 1:43 pm

Datapoint

Datapoint:

Applied for 1st Personal Citi AA Plat Select on 6/3/15 (World)
Approved with 50k miles after 3k spend

Conversion happened in July or August to WE (can't remember exactly when)

Applied for 2nd Personal Citi AA Plat Select on 1/4/16 (today) (World)
Approved, after moving CL. CSR confirmed 50k miles w/ 3k spend, as normal.

7 months between applications.

fromfall98 Jan 4, 2016 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by MaderTravels (Post 25960804)
Datapoint:

Applied for 1st Personal Citi AA Plat Select on 6/3/15 (World)
Approved with 50k miles after 3k spend

Conversion happened in July or August to WE (can't remember exactly when)

Applied for 2nd Personal Citi AA Plat Select on 1/4/16 (today) (World)
Approved, after moving CL. CSR confirmed 50k miles w/ 3k spend, as normal.

7 months between applications.

Wow!!! Does that mean 18 months open / close rule is being relaxed? It appears so, just trying to be sure :)

Aragonese Jan 4, 2016 6:00 pm

Another data set

7/1/15 applied / approved for W #1 using (I think) 4c, $25k credit line

~9/1/15 #1 converted to WE

10/2/15 applied / approved for W #2 using 4c, $25k credit line

~11/20/15 #2 converted to WE

~11/30/15 sent secure message asking for additional 10k miles, just said that I had seen the 60k offer and would like to be matched to it; quickly received a positive response

11/26/15 - 12/25/15 issues with posting of signup bonus, miles from Nov. spend, and 10k match, all of which then posted a full billing cycle late; seems not unusual based on another thread

12/4/15 lowered #1 credit limit to $5k in preparation of #3

1/4/16 (today) applied / approved for W #3 using 4c, $23.5k credit line (offered up to $25k line if I lowered another card by $1.5k, didn't bother), confirmed 50k signup bonus terms

kannon99 Jan 4, 2016 6:05 pm

Is anyone having trouble with Citi SM? I have sent a few and get no replies. Is there no way of seeing sent messages unless they are replied too?

Ed Janowsky Jan 4, 2016 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by kannon99 (Post 25962229)
Is anyone having trouble with Citi SM? I have sent a few and get no replies. Is there no way of seeing sent messages unless they are replied too?

You have to check the save a copy box before you send the message, and then look in your saved messages folder if you ever want to see it again.

yosithezet Jan 4, 2016 7:42 pm

Where are you seeing online that your card was converted?

StartinSanDiego Jan 4, 2016 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 25962667)

You can see it when you go to "profiles & settings" under the "Set default credit card and nickname cards" tab. That drop down menu is considered to be the most accurate place to see if it's changed.

Willbur Jan 4, 2016 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 25962667)

On your main Accounts screen you will either see:

"Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select" <-- World Elite (converted)
"Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard" <-- World

epaairnow Jan 5, 2016 6:24 am

Originally Posted by fromfall98 (Post 25960935)
Wow!!! Does that mean 18 months open / close rule is being relaxed? It appears so, just trying to be sure :)

Not relaxed - read full wiki. If Citi converts a World card to World Elite - then in their current view/perspective you never had a World card to begin with....so after a World Elite conversion you can get another World card...and hopefully rinse and repeat.

Hecta Jan 5, 2016 10:46 am

I just received a new WE mastercard in the mail yesterday. How long do I need to wait to apply for a new W card? (I am currently OK to apply for a new Citi card according to the 8/62 rules).

epaairnow Jan 5, 2016 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Hecta (Post 25965990)
I just received a new WE mastercard in the mail yesterday. How long do I need to wait to apply for a new W card? (I am currently OK to apply for a new Citi card according to the 8/62 rules).

if ok on 8/65 rule...then anytime really. I am on #4 now and always applied after receiving converted WE card. It has been working out to be every 2 months or so for me so far.

PETERPNYC Jan 5, 2016 11:54 am

Originally Posted by epaairnow (Post 25966244)
if ok on 8/65 rule...then anytime really. I am on #4 now and always applied after receiving converted WE card. It has been working out to be every 2 months or so for me so far.

Do we need to wait to complete the spend on the new card , for it to convert ?
Just finished spend yesterday on Nov 11 card due to being out of the country
Thanks

NTP9766 Jan 5, 2016 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 25966403)
Do we need to wait to complete the spend on the new card , for it to convert ?
Just finished spend yesterday on Nov 11 card due to being out of the country
Thanks

Mine was converted to WE before I completed the $3k spend (and before the 3rd billing cycle).

khochurn Jan 5, 2016 12:44 pm

Has anyone seen this error? A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Be assured that we have received it and there is no need to resubmit. We will contact you at the mailing address you provided as soon as it is processed. Thank you!

fromfall98 Jan 5, 2016 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by epaairnow (Post 25964554)
Not relaxed - read full wiki. If Citi converts a World card to World Elite - then in their current view/perspective you never had a World card to begin with....so after a World Elite conversion you can get another World card...and hopefully rinse and repeat.

Thanks for the response. Read the Wiki. I must admit, I had no clue about the "conversion". I applied for and received Platinum select MasterCard. The card has neither "world" nor "world elite" on it, so am not sure which one it is. Based on reading other posts, I am thinking it is "world elite" and I can go for one more app. :)

Thanks again!

mia Jan 5, 2016 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by khochurn (Post 25966708)
Has anyone seen this error?

Previously reported in January 2015, post 311.

khochurn Jan 5, 2016 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 25966800)
Previously reported in January 2015, post 311.

I saw that user got approved a few hours later. I'll wait until tonight to see what happens, and update the thread. FYI I am applying for my 3rd platinum card following the second WE conversion a couple of days ago.

mia Jan 5, 2016 12:59 pm

A technical problem is also reported in post 603 of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25965801-post603.html

...it may be that Citi runs a series of annual purges and updates this time of year, and these temporarily preclude processing applications.

fromfall98 Jan 5, 2016 1:16 pm

By the way, why does wiki link 4c say "Landing page for personal Platinum Select World MC offer for 50K miles" when the application page it opens up says "Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard®*" without "World" in it?

Goopy14 Jan 5, 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by duranza (Post 25950629)
1st card approved Nov 12th.
Received today World Elite with Congratulatory flyer.
Had noticed early December that card name had changed on account.

I'm on the same schedule. Thoughts on applying again at 60 day mark (ie. 1/11) or wait till 65 days (ie. 1/16)?

duranza Jan 5, 2016 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Goopy14 (Post 25967582)
I'm on the same schedule. Thoughts on applying again at 60 day mark (ie. 1/11) or wait till 65 days (ie. 1/16)?

On Jan 2nd I applied for a 2nd card and was approved, about 1 mos since 1st was converted and still open.
It is my understanding that since the Gold card was converted from a W to a WE you can apply as soon as it has converted since it is as if we had not applied for the 1st card at all since the card name has changed.

MarkMColo Jan 5, 2016 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by fromfall98 (Post 25966795)
I applied for and received Platinum select MasterCard. The card has neither "world" nor "world elite" on it, so am not sure which one it is.
Thanks again!

Did you look at the back of the card?

RobertHanson Jan 5, 2016 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur (Post 25962907)
On your main Accounts screen you will either see:

"Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select" <-- World Elite (converted)
"Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard" <-- World

:( My Visa was changed to a MC 8 months ago, and is still reading only World MasterCard, no Elite. I'd had the Visa nearly forever, and wasn't using it much except for AoA, so had lowered the CL down to $3K. Could it be my CL is too low for a conversion to Elite?

Stivelio Jan 5, 2016 5:23 pm

I got approved for the world MC but for relatively lower CL on it. Can somebody please suggest the right approach to lower limits on other cards in advance to avoid needing to call when applying next time?

nwflyboy Jan 5, 2016 5:56 pm

Do Business cards get upgraded to WE?

Quick question: do Business cards also get upgraded to WE?

I have a new-ish (~2 months old) CitiBusiness Platinum Select World MC. (Finished the minimum spend and received the sign-up bonus a couple weeks ago, lowered the CL from 20K to 5K a few days ago).

Have we seen these go through the same metamorphosis and spontaneously convert into World ELITE cards (like the personal World MC)?

Thanks.

ninim2200 Jan 5, 2016 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 25968497)
Quick question: do Business cards also get upgraded to WE?

Have we seen these go through the same metamorphosis and spontaneously convert into World ELITE cards (like the personal World MC)?

Thanks.

W-WE does not apply for business cards.

kramer327 Jan 5, 2016 6:28 pm

In November I waited for my new approved AA Citi Plat before calling in to Citi for the retention on my old one. Surprisingly I didn't get a stmt credit offer this year so I asked to downgrade to Citi Dividend thinking my recent application was going to reset my 18 mos anyways. Catching up on this thread I see I've made a mistake since now this week in the mail I've received the World Elite upgrade card on the new AA Citi Plat. I understand the downgrade on my old Citi plat to Citi Dividend is essentially a reset action.

My question is this... I have a letter in my Citi account referring to the downgrade from AA Plat to Dividend stating "This change will take effect on January 22, 2016. At that time we'll send you a letter to confirm the change, and until then, you can continue to use your existing card." It then says at the end of the letter "if you decide you don't want the Citi Dividend World Mastercard account, call us by January 21, 2016 and we'll cancel your request".

Any thoughts on if I call in and cancel this product change request that I will have saved myself from an 18 mo reset? Or at least, as long as I follow the other Citi rules, maybe slip in one last app before I crawl into an 18 mo hole after 1/22/16?

duranza Jan 5, 2016 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio (Post 25968372)
I got approved for the world MC but for relatively lower CL on it. Can somebody please suggest the right approach to lower limits on other cards in advance to avoid needing to call when applying next time?

Just send them a message from your account. I have done it that way.

Stivelio Jan 5, 2016 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by duranza (Post 25968631)

before applying for the next card. Right?

nwflyboy Jan 5, 2016 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 25968544)
W-WE does not apply for business cards.

Thanks, good to know.

I'll look to my (newer) personal W MC for it's metamorphosis instead. :cool:

g8trgr8t Jan 5, 2016 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by khochurn (Post 25966808)
I saw that user got approved a few hours later. I'll wait until tonight to see what happens, and update the thread. FYI I am applying for my 3rd platinum card following the second WE conversion a couple of days ago.

did they send you a new card and how long after you opened your second account did they convert it?

MarkMColo Jan 6, 2016 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio (Post 25968372)

Originally Posted by duranza (Post 25968631)

Originally Posted by Stivelio (Post 25968656)

Yes, definitely

trouble747 Jan 6, 2016 7:02 am

I see that everyone is having success with the W to WE conversion. Has anyone successfully used multiples of the 60k mail offers (which contain no 18 month language) without waiting for the conversion?

duranza Jan 6, 2016 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio (Post 25968656)

yes, yet make sure the new CL shows up on your account

fromfall98 Jan 6, 2016 10:10 am

Originally Posted by MarkMColo (Post 25968013)
Did you look at the back of the card?

Yes, even that does not have "world" or "world elite" :-(

MarkMColo Jan 6, 2016 10:54 am

Originally Posted by fromfall98 (Post 25972100)
Yes, even that does not have "world" or "world elite" :-(

That's very strange. All of the Citi MasterCards I have show "World" or "World Elite" above the MasterCard logo and hologram.

khochurn Jan 6, 2016 11:51 am

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t (Post 25969254)
did they send you a new card and how long after you opened your second account did they convert it?

Yea, they sent me a new card. My second card got converted to WE 45 days after applying.

starbuk Jan 6, 2016 1:07 pm

What is the minimum amount of credit required to keep a Platinum World Elite card open? As in, if I lower my limit what is the lowest amount that it could be lowered to.

sdsearch Jan 6, 2016 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMColo (Post 25972372)
That's very strange. All of the Citi MasterCards I have show "World" or "World Elite" above the MasterCard logo and hologram.

And not just Citi. Every MC in my wallet has one or the other, except for a Diners Club USA charge card (from Harris/BMO), which has neither.

At Citi, are all the lowest MC cards "World", or is there something lower than World (for people who "don't qualify for" a World)? Over at Visa, below Visa Signature there's a Visa Platinum Plus (BofA Alaska card gives 25k miles bonus for the former but only 5k bonus if you get the latter), and that makes me wonder if there's a Visa Platinum (Minus) below the Visa Platinum Plus? And, if so, is there something equivalent below MC World?