FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

StartinSanDiego Jan 16, 16 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence (Post 26028208)
I'm not sure if my tone is apparent in my post, but I'm not really "reacting" so much as I just don't really get what's going on. What's the difference between World and World Elite cards, and is there a specific reason AA sent me one?

Hi Kthpence... currently the World cards are being converted to World Elite cards by Citibank. The fee on these (both of them) should be about $95 per year.
The names are confusing, but, unless you signed up for a $450 Executive card, then the product change, initiated by Citi, will not be from a $95 a year card to a $450 a year card. They are different products and, as far as I know, not subject to any bank initiated changes. Your $95 a year card will remain a $95 a year card.

Hope that helps.

And, to Beltway, thanks again. You've helped plenty of us see the world.

PETERPNYC Jan 16, 16 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by JATR4 (Post 26028293)
Can't you read the WIKI and a portion of the thread? Do you really need spoon-feeding?

+1000 From someone who reads every post daily of this thread, for I can't recall
how many months .

@Beltway . A million Thanks

MaxVO Jan 16, 16 9:01 pm

I can't claim to have read all 3935 posts, but I've read all of the recent ones from for the past several months, and the wiki. @:-)
I'm still not very clear what to do with my current business AAdvantage card. If I'm reading it correctly, the current rules don't favor multiple biz cards, and the 18-mo rule does not apply. So if i wanted to increase my chances for another signup bonus, shouldn't I close my current biz card a.s.a.p? I don't really need any of its benefits, as i have plenty of other cards to provide them. And its last retention offer was pretty miserable.
Any input?

beltway Jan 16, 16 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 26030396)
I've read all of the recent ones from for the past several months, and the wiki. @:-)

^

I'm still not very clear what to do with my current business AAdvantage card. If I'm reading it correctly, the current rules don't favor multiple biz cards, and the 18-mo rule does not apply. So if i wanted to increase my chances for another signup bonus, shouldn't I close my current biz card a.s.a.p? I don't really need any of its benefits, as i have plenty of other cards to provide them. And its last retention offer was pretty miserable.
Any input?
Yup.

IAD_flyer Jan 16, 16 9:11 pm

I'm reading it correctly, the current rules don't favor multiple biz cards, and the 18-mo rule does not apply. So if i wanted to increase my chances for another signup bonus, shouldn't I close my current biz card a.s.a.p?

Yes, you should. Make clear to the CSR that you want your account and the "Master Account" closed. Wait a bit before applying again no good data on how long, so use your own judgment. As for "18-mo rule does not apply" the fine print does list it but it does not appear to be enforced. Keep in mind you can only apply once every 90 days for Biz accounts.

marktelefono Jan 17, 16 12:08 am

Is there a consensus of whether or not a product change is considered "closing" an account?

Likewise, once a card is changed into world elite, can it cancelled without resetting the 18 month clock?

MaxVO Jan 17, 16 1:41 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer (Post 26030426)
Make clear to the CSR that you want your account and the "Master Account" closed.

Good reminder, thanks! I usually do account closures by a SM (when I'm not looking for offers), so I'll make sure I'll spell it out in detail. Somehow I feel that if a closure request is in writing, there's lees chance for them to mess it up.

RobertHanson Jan 17, 16 9:47 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego (Post 26028787)
Hi Kthpence... currently the World cards are being converted to World Elite cards by Citibank. The fee on these (both of them) should be about $95 per year.
The names are confusing, but, unless you signed up for a $450 Executive card, then the product change, initiated by Citi, will not be from a $95 a year card to a $450 a year card. They are different products and, as far as I know, not subject to any bank initiated changes. Your $95 a year card will remain a $95 a year card.

Bear in mind that they are not opening a new account for you. They are upgrading your card from one level with a number of benefits to a higher level with additional benefits. Activating it does not involve paying another fee. Whatever amount of time you had on the lower level card before another AF is charged is how long it will be before the "new" card has an AF charged for the next year. There is really nothing for you to worry about. :)

kthpence Jan 17, 16 10:31 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 26032122)
Bear in mind that they are not opening a new account for you. They are upgrading your card from one level with a number of benefits to a higher level with additional benefits. Activating it does not involve paying another fee. Whatever amount of time you had on the lower level card before another AF is charged is how long it will be before the "new" card has an AF charged for the next year. There is really nothing for you to worry about. :)

Thanks for the response, and thanks to Sandiego also...I love flyertalk, and have been posting on here since I was 16, but sometimes people on here can be so beyond rude it's really discouraging. No, I don't need to be "spoon fed," the wiki is just about 4,000 words long, and full of hundreds of different registered trademarks / different names that can be a bit convoluted in confusing.

For the record, it is a bit bizarre that Mastercard sends people "upgraded" cards without even letting them know what's going on / what that card means. I came on here to try to figure what was going on, sorry if that offended some FTers who clearly have zero patience or ability to answer questions in a kind way. I feel badly for people who feel the need to respond like that.

StartinSanDiego Jan 17, 16 10:42 am

I can't claim to have read all 3935 posts, but I've read all of the recent ones from for the past several months, and the wiki. @:-)
I'm still not very clear what to do with my current business AAdvantage card. If I'm reading it correctly, the current rules don't favor multiple biz cards, and the 18-mo rule does not apply. So if i wanted to increase my chances for another signup bonus, shouldn't I close my current biz card a.s.a.p?
Any input?

The business cards seem to have results that vary widely by applicant. There are no clear cut routes to success, it's very much a YMMV (your miles may vary). I have had 3 biz cards, 2 concurrently. Mr. SanDiego got one, closed it, and has been declined for another. Best practices include being sure that if you close the card, also close the master account (that would be like the business owner's account, with the card being held by an "employee"). Also, reduce overall CL's so that Citi has a big comfort zone of extended credit lines to you.

beltway Jan 17, 16 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence (Post 26028208)
What's the difference between World and World Elite cards, and is there a specific reason AA sent me one?

Originally Posted by JATR4 (Post 26028293)
Can't you read the WIKI and a portion of the thread?

Although it's true that various aspects of this issue have been covered repeatedly in the thread itself, the wiki didn't fully address them. I just now added two new FAQs, along with a pointer to them from the discussion in FAQ #1.

19. Why and when does Citi convert cards to World Elite? Can I do anything to trigger the conversion?

Citi appears to convert recently opened World MCs to World Elite en masse at periodic intervals once every few months. For most new cardholders, this will occur in the second or third full billing cycle; for holders of legacy Citi AA VISA or Amex cards, the conversion may occur at any time.

There is nothing you can do as a cardholder to trigger the conversion.

20. What's the difference between World and World Elite cards?

See the wiki at Difference in MasterCard World and World Elite?.
Comments welcome.

BigTravelSmallMoney Jan 17, 16 12:19 pm

I'm looking to downgrade my HHonors Reserve card before the annual fee hits, but would be willing not to if it resets the "18 month" clock. Does anybody know if downgrading Citi credit cards also counts as an open/close and resets the "18 month" clock?

sdsearch Jan 17, 16 12:21 pm

added (but correctly?) to wiki: confirming the signup bonus on business cards

While replying to someone's PM about that, I realized the wiki was unclear about confirming the signup bonus on business cards (it didn't spell out that the welcome letter is useless in that case). I added two sentences at the end of the wiki's FAQ #8 (with a reference to FAQ #9) to try to address this.

Anyone who has recently gotten a business AA card with a bonus, please check that for correctness. I don't know for sure, for example, whether the business card has the same "clock" for spend countdown that the personal card has.

IAD_flyer Jan 17, 16 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by BigTravelSmallMoney (Post 26032744)
I'm looking to downgrade my HHonors Reserve card before the annual fee hits, but would be willing not to if it resets the "18 month" clock. Does anybody know if downgrading Citi credit cards also counts as an open/close and resets the "18 month" clock?

Other Citi products do NOT affect the 18 month clock. Much more info on the wiki.

SeeBuyFly Jan 17, 16 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26032756)
I don't know for sure, for example, whether the business card has the same "clock" for spend countdown that the personal card has.

It does not.