FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

schrute May 31, 2016 10:02 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 26700358)
A lot of the posts that I've been seeing on Reddit deal directly with targeted offers, and some of those guys think that their bonuses are related to their W->WE conversions, which they aren't.

Is it just the W->WE loophole that's getting shut down? I'm still W->WE. Or are we targeting about if the targeted offers are related?

Regardless, targeted offers or W->WE, if they are the same or not is either one able to get the bonus again?

SpammersAreScum May 31, 2016 10:39 am

W->WE and targeted offers are 2 completely different things.

All the recent reporting seems to indicate that:
1. Targeted offers are still exempt from the 24-month (formerly 18-month) requirement, whether or not there is a W->WE conversion involved
2. A W-> WE conversion used to be a loophole in that requirement but is not any more

NTP9766 May 31, 2016 12:26 pm

For those of you with CitiBusiness cards, do you lower your CL before closing the old cards like you would a personal card? If so, any chance you know what the minimum limit is? I've already received the bonus on my Business card, and am looking to close out the account entirely to reset that clock.

rgAAFT May 31, 2016 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 26706778)
For those of you with CitiBusiness cards, do you lower your CL before closing the old cards like you would a personal card? If so, any chance you know what the minimum limit is? I've already received the bonus on my Business card, and am looking to close out the account entirely to reset that clock.

Now irreverent

duranza May 31, 2016 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT (Post 26709106)
Now irreverent

ir·rev·er·ent

/əˈrev(ə)rənt/

adjective: irreverent

showing a lack of respect for people or things that are generally taken seriously.

ir·rel·e·vant

/əˈreləvənt/

adjective: irrelevant

not connected with or relevant to something.

sorry, a teachable moment

NTP9766 Jun 1, 2016 5:38 am

It's not irrelevant if Citi takes all of your Citi (business and personal) cards into consideration when deciding on a limit for a new card, no? That's really the only reason I ask, because if a miracle happens and I get a targeted mailer soon, I'm going to churn the hell out of it.

eclare Jun 1, 2016 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by eclare (Post 26696965)
I think it has been 6 apps in just about 6 months, including a zero interest financing card I got when I bought some furniture, and the stupid Venture card I got before I figured out how all these points programs really work.

I'll post the letter when I get it. It sounds like these are not insurmountable issues, but I may need to think a bit harder about the order of my next couple cards.

Ok, this is kind of weird. I haven't heard anything from Citi, but I got a MyID alert saying that I have a new Citi account open with a $1500 limit on my credit report.

Irish80 Jun 1, 2016 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 26710594)
It's not irrelevant if Citi takes all of your Citi (business and personal) cards into consideration when deciding on a limit for a new card, no? That's really the only reason I ask, because if a miracle happens and I get a targeted mailer soon, I'm going to churn the hell out of it.

They consider all of your limits, both personal and business, in determining your overall internal limit with them. I'm sure if you wanted to that you could reduce your limit on the business card to $500

nwflyboy Jun 1, 2016 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by duranza (Post 26709657)
sorry, a teachable moment

ir·rev·er·ent

/əˈrev(ə)rənt/

How my Japanese wife pronounces the word "irrelevant"

:rolleyes:

Another teachable moment :D

oldmanbob Jun 1, 2016 8:54 pm

Platinum World Elite vs Executive World Elite

Apologies if this is already answered. I read and re-read the wiki many times, but did not see this specific questioned answered.

I got the Citi AAdvantage Platinum World MC in 08/2015. Citi sent me the AAdvantage Platinum World Elite in 10/2015 after hitting min spend in first month. I missed the opportunity to reapply for the citi plat loophole that just got closed. :(

I just saw the new offer for a Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard with 60k bonus points for 5K spend. I am fine with minimum spend and annual fee. However, I am unable to confirm if I would be eligible for the 60k bonus because I already have the AAdvantage Platinum World Elite.
If I apply for the Executive card, will I be disqualified for the 60K bonus because I already have the Platinum elite?
Thanks in advance for any input.

SeeBuyFly Jun 1, 2016 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by oldmanbob (Post 26715001)
I just saw the new offer for a Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard with 60k bonus points for 5K spend. I am fine with minimum spend and annual fee. However, I am unable to confirm if I would be eligible for the 60k bonus because I already have the AAdvantage Platinum World Elite.
If I apply for the Executive card, will I be disqualified for the 60K bonus because I already have the Platinum elite?
Thanks in advance for any input.

This is already answered in the wiki, FAQ section, FAQ#1.

sriirvine Jun 1, 2016 11:09 pm

Data Point: I was given a 40K/$1K link from my friend who recently took an AA flight. The link had an associated referral code. The T&C listed 18 months, so I thought I'd be a guinea pig since I couldn't find any datapoints for it.

I've had 4 cards going through W->WE and my last card converted in March. Applied for the 40K card and got instant approval. Just got the card with the letter stating that since I've already had the card, no bonus is available. :(

sdsearch Jun 2, 2016 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 26714755)
ir·rev·er·ent

/əˈrev(ə)rənt/

How my Japanese wife pronounces the word "irrelevant"

:rolleyes:

Another teachable moment :D

If that were actually true, your wife would be getting the order of the letters wrong.

Japanese turning "L" into "R" would turn "irrelevant" into "irrerevant", not "irreverent". Turning "irrelevant" into "irreverent" requires not just turning "L" into "R" (plus rewriting the similarly-pronounced "a" as "e"), but then swapping the order of two syllables! :rolleyes:

Another teachable moment :p

cmpe Jun 2, 2016 2:06 pm

Can someone with a lot of experience with AA provide some insight about the benefits of these cards? For example, 50K miles from this bonus can be redeemed for around 2 roundtrip flights I think?

I started traveling a bit for work and I usually fly AA. One issue is while I can book the hotel and rental car on my own for reimbursement later, airline bookings are charged directly to a company credit card so don't earn any points for airfare.

I'm thinking this card would be a no-brainer if you fly AA a lot and check bags often but I usually just carry-on most of the tie.

So the other benefits that I think are left:
  • 50K bonus miles
  • Group 1 Boarding on American Airlines domestic flights
  • 10% miles back for AA redemptions
  • Reduced mileage awards

Are there any other benefits that I should consider?

nwflyboy Jun 2, 2016 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26718797)
If that were actually true, your wife would be getting the order of the letters wrong...

And your point there is exactly what? :)

That (scrambling the order of sounds in English words when spoken by non-native speakers) is a pretty common occurrence IME. I generally find it charming, occasionally hilarious (sometimes she will say something, I won't quite get it, there will be a long pause as we stare art each other while I mull it over internally, then we will both break out laughing).

Foreigners are generally quite forgiving of my own clumsy attempts to speak their language badly, so I try to reciprocate.