FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

AugustWest May 24, 2016 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by epaairnow (Post 26675159)
What is the exact stipulation? My daughter relieved several mailers every six weeks or so and haven't seen this spelled out. Just curious.

In the fine print: "If you are an existing Citi/Aadvantage cardmember, you are not eligible for this offer."

carlitos May 24, 2016 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest (Post 26675193)
In the fine print: "If you are an existing Citi/Aadvantage cardmember, you are not eligible for this offer."

Interesting. If I only have the Citi AA Business open, does that count as an existing Citi AAdvantage cardmember? I even have it on a different profile to the personal cards. If it does, will just wait a couple of days for the Citi Business bonus on closing day to cancel and use one of the mailers I have for the personal plat.

epaairnow May 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest (Post 26675193)

Is that the end of the sentence or does it end with 'on your existing account'. Most of my mailers have your above sentence but includes the last four words of : on your existing account, so just want to make sure of any potential differences

AugustWest May 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos (Post 26675298)
Interesting. If I only have the Citi AA Business open, does that count as an existing Citi AAdvantage cardmember? I even have it on a different profile to the personal cards. If it does, will just wait a couple of days for the Citi Business bonus on closing day to cancel and use one of the mailers I have for the personal plat.

Business cards appear to be independent.

AugustWest May 24, 2016 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by epaairnow (Post 26675531)
Is that the end of the sentence or does it end with 'on your existing account'. Most of my mailers have your above sentence but includes the last four words of : on your existing account, so just want to make sure of any potential differences

Wait, you just claimed to not see any language in your mailer and now you are quoting language from your mailer?
At any rate, the last 4 words do ring a bell.

epaairnow May 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest (Post 26675787)
Wait, you just claimed to not see any language in your mailer and now you are quoting language from your mailer?
At any rate, the last 4 words do ring a bell.

I meant no 18/24 language. All my mailers have this 'not on existing account', I was just seeing if yours was something new in the Citi mix.

michael_v May 24, 2016 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by epaairnow (Post 26675825)
I meant no 18/24 language. All my mailers have this 'not on existing account', I was just seeing if yours was something new in the Citi mix.

What "not on existing account" means is that you cannot get the bonus on an existing card, you have to apply for a new account.

AugustWest May 24, 2016 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by epaairnow (Post 26675825)

Got it;)
From my experience with that language you simply cannot have any personal AA account open. I have not played with exactly how long after closing you can re-apply, but it is at most a couple days. Of course 8/65 also applies as always.

BringBackTWA May 24, 2016 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest (Post 26676000)
Got it;)
From my experience with that language you simply cannot have any personal AA account open. I have not played with exactly how long after closing you can re-apply, but it is at most a couple days. Of course 8/65 also applies as always.

So to confirm, you've never re-applied while having any previous personal AA card open?

Out of curiosity, doesn't that kill your AAoA on your credit report?

beltway May 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by opus2002 (Post 26674867)
If I downgrade from a Citi AA Platinum Select to Citi AA Gold, does that re-set the 24-month clock?

Answered in the wiki.

sdsearch May 24, 2016 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by opus2002 (Post 26674867)
If I downgrade from a Citi AA Platinum Select to Citi AA Gold, does that re-set the 24-month clock?

Besides the fact that the answer (yes) is in the wiki (as beltway pointed out), why not apply for the Citi AA Gold "from scratch" for another 25k miles? The 24-month clock is separate on the Citi AA Plat form the Citi AA Gold, but you'll start a new 24-month clock on both if you convert, while if you apply for the Citi AA Gold "from scratch" you'll start a 24-month clock on that one only (plus can easily earn 25k AA miles with not all that much spend).

Of course, that assumes you didn't have another Citi AA Gold in the past 24 months.

codybear May 25, 2016 6:29 am

Took a gamble with the 24-month clock on my wife's account and got her approved using link 25 and I had her ask how much did she have to spend before getting the bonus to verify that the card was going to come with the bonus, which CS said spend $3k to get 50k.

She had opened a Platinum World on 10/6/14. She would have been converted to WE approximately 3 months later. The account was closed on 12/3/15 (Citi would not waive the yearly fee).

So the 24-month clock appears not to be a hard set rule, but I will re-post in 10 days if the cards comes with no bonus language. It may be because of the W-WE conversion occurred before February, 2016 or possibly because the application included an above average income amount, but more experimentation may need to be done.

AugustWest May 25, 2016 7:46 am

Originally Posted by BringBackTWA (Post 26676060)
So to confirm, you've never re-applied while having any previous personal AA card open?

Question 1. No, not using the mailers. To me the language is clear and I have not wanted to test it. Other churn opportunities, now apparently dead, had no such language.

As for the second question, as I am sure many here can attest in their own cases, my credit score has only gotten better since I started playing this game. I am unsure exactly how AAoA is calculated but I also have some really old accounts that I will never close. Whatever effect a poorish AAoA has is obviously outweighed by other factors--my guess is that an extremely low utilization is one of those. There must be a more general discussion of all of this somewhere on FT.

pallhedge May 25, 2016 7:55 am

Originally Posted by BringBackTWA (Post 26676060)

Closed accounts remain on your credit report for 10 years. An account you close today won't affect your AAoA until then. By then, his next AA card will be nearly 10 years old. Lather, rinse, repeat.

PETERPNYC May 25, 2016 9:46 am

Data point . DW and My 4/4 cards converted last night . Wonder if it has anything to do with prepaying , spending approx $2 K on each, or the clock ?

In any event looking for a targeted mailer to use to apply for her card .