FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

sdsearch Jan 12, 16 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by yswygdai (Post 26008290)
I used the Citi AAdvantage loophole a couple nights ago, and the card they sent me is already upgraded to World Elite.

I was under the impression that they were going to send me the regular Platinum card, which they would upgrade after 2 months to the World Elite.

However, I just received the new card, and it's already a World Elite.

Did they change something - is this how it's supposed to work?

Welcome to (the posting side of) FlyerTalk, yswygdai.

Your timing as you stated it makes no sense. Using the Citi AAdvantage loophole means applying for a card. No one has ever remotely gotten a card in the mail just "a couple nights" after applying! Gosh, it takes them a day or more to actually make the card (now that it's a chip card). It takes close to a week from the date of approval for the people who get it that fastest.

So double check the card number. If you got a card just "a couple nights" after applying, it's probably not the card you applied for just now, but an update to some earlier card, and it's simply a coincidence that you got it "a couple nights" after applying for another card.

sdsearch Jan 12, 16 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by cb11 (Post 26008789)
[after W->WE conversion] it still says Platinum Select.

Well, what did you expect it to say?

It never says "World Elite" online. What happens is that when it's World, it says "World" online. When it's upgraded to World Elite (weeks before you actually get the card in the mail), it removes the word "World" from the online description. It doesn't add anything in its place.

ygsq Jan 12, 16 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26009035)
Welcome to FlyerTalk, ygsq.

There is no alert. All of a sudden one day you get the WE card (if you're going to get it; most people do but not everyone).

The only way to know if that's coming up is to log into your aa.com account, go to the page which lets you set nicknames for your cards, and see whether it still says "World" in the description of your latest card there. If it does, that means they haven't even started the conversion yet. If the word "World" is missing, they have started the conversion, but it still could be many weeks after that appears before you get the World Elite card in hand.

So not everyone would receive conversion? I hope I am not the unlucky one.:(

TWA884 Jan 12, 16 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26009065)
No one has ever remotely gotten a card in the mail just "a couple nights" after applying! Gosh, it takes them a day or more to actually make the card (now that it's a chip card). It takes close to a week from the date of approval for the people who get it that fastest.

The Executive Card is shipped by overnight service. Mine arrived on the third business day after I applied, applied and approved on Monday, card received on Thursday. A couple of weeks ago, on New year's Eve, Thursday, December 31, I added an authorized user; the chipped card was delivered to my front door on Saturday, January 2, that was even faster than "next business day."

ninim2200 Jan 13, 16 12:07 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 26009309)
The Executive Card is shipped by overnight service. Mine arrived on the third business day after I applied, applied and approved on Monday, card received on Thursday. A couple of weeks ago, on New year's Eve, Thursday, December 31, I added an authorized user; the chipped card was delivered to my front door on Saturday, January 2, that was even faster than "next business day."

I think sdsearch has a point; we are talking about AA platinum, they never ship them overnight like the executive, even in your post you are saying 3 business days, the other guy is saying a couple of nights ago, that means Sunday night!!! come on... there is no way he got AA platinum card on tuesday if he applied on sunday night... just my 2 cents.

ygsq Jan 13, 16 12:16 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk, ygsq.

There is no alert. All of a sudden one day you get the WE card (if you're going to get it; most people do but not everyone).

The only way to know if that's coming up is to log into your aa.com account, go to the page which lets you set nicknames for your cards, and see whether it still says "World" in the description of your latest card there. If it does, that means they haven't even started the conversion yet. If the word "World" is missing, they have started the conversion, but it still could be many weeks after that appears before you get the World Elite card in hand.

Mine is without "world" just now. Can I apply the new card now? Or I must wait for receiving the WE card and activate the new card, then apply the new one? Thanks.

whoknew89 Jan 13, 16 1:37 am

Originally Posted by ygsq (Post 26009858)
Mine is without "world" just now. Can I apply the new card now? Or I must wait for receiving the WE card and activate the new card, then apply the new one? Thanks.

I'd check that the AA plat is listed in the pre-approved offers webpage. If it isn't wait until it is to give you a bit more confidence that you'll get the bonus again.

https://www.citicards.com/cards/cred...?isInvitation=

nwflyboy Jan 13, 16 3:36 am

Data points...

Applied 12/13/2015.
Approved 12/15/2015.
Card arrived as World MC.
Completed minimum spend 1/3/2016 (which was a little tricky, since they only gave me a $1500 CL).
First statement hasn't closed quite yet - closes 1/18/2016 - five days from now.
I've been checking daily for a sign the card designation might change.
(I have screenshots)

Last time I checked, a few hours ago (late night 1/12/2016) it was listed as:
"Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-NNNN"

Just checked now (around 1 am local time on 1/13/2016) and it is now listed as:
"Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select-NNNN"

Conversion appears to have begun - exactly one month from the application date, less than one month from approval date, and five days before the first statement closes.

Seems to be working as described...

^

IAD_flyer Jan 13, 16 7:27 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 26010350)
Data points...

Applied 12/13/2015.

Last time I checked, a few hours ago (late night 1/12/2016) it was listed as:
"Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-NNNN"

Just checked now (around 1 am local time on 1/13/2016) and it is now listed as:
"Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select-NNNN"

I have a feeling these are happening in batches as my latest card moved to WE too but I had a different application date than you.

datch Jan 13, 16 8:04 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer (Post 26010930)
I have a feeling these are happening in batches as my latest card moved to WE too but I had a different application date than you.

Agree. Same with mine

Stivelio Jan 13, 16 8:06 am

Looks like I missed the cut. Applied and approved on 12/22 ( min spend met already statement closed on 1/15) but still shows world on the site :(

AlexTheMan Jan 13, 16 10:14 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer (Post 26010930)

Yep. Same with my card and wife's. Both were opened on 12/8/2015.

OneWorldSapphire Jan 13, 16 10:52 am

I have just downgraded my Platinum Select AA card to the free bronze card - to keep the number open for credit reasons (it's my oldest card) but to avoid paying the fee.

I did this before I found the FT thread about all the retention offers. Doh! I probably could have got a year for free.

In terms of earning a bonus in the future, does downgrading to a free account equal 'closing an account'? Have I just reset the clock 18 months?

TWA884 Jan 13, 16 10:55 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 26009835)
I think sdsearch has a point; we are talking about AA platinum, they never ship them overnight like the executive, even in your post you are saying 3 business days, the other guy is saying a couple of nights ago, that means Sunday night!!! come on... there is no way he got AA platinum card on tuesday if he applied on sunday night... just my 2 cents.

sdsearch wrote that it takes close to a week for the people that receive the card fastest. It doesn't.

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26009065)
No one has ever remotely gotten a card in the mail just "a couple nights" after applying! Gosh, it takes them a day or more to actually make the card (now that it's a chip card). It takes close to a week from the date of approval for the people who get it that fastest.

ninim2200 Jan 13, 16 11:15 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 26011966)
sdsearch wrote that it takes close to a week for the people that receive the card fastest. It doesn't.

For the platinum card it takes more than a week to receive the card after approval!!!! they don't overnight the card like the executive card, i have done both many many times in the last 18 months, none of the platinum cards or gold cards were delivered in less than a week. Anyway.... go Patriots.:D