FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

beltway Jan 9, 16 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by epaairnow (Post 25989552)
I still have a Visa as well...my expiration date is 08/18--so I think that is a reason it has not been converted yet. I am considering your advice for cancelling to avoid starting the clock....but I would assume it would be converted straight to WE at this point right?

As the old saying goes, never make an assumption lest you make an *ss out of U and Mption.

nwflyboy Jan 9, 16 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25989118)
They are so near gone that any extra day you wait to cancel yours put you at risk of starting an 18 clock. So cancel it right now! Citi doesn't necessarily notify when they're going to convert a Visa to an MC, and it might happen tomorrow! And as soon it happens, your 18 month clock starts ticking.

So if you really want to churn again, cancel the AA Visa right now.

The CL you lower can take weeks to be freed up for new applications. We don't know exactly how long.

On a related note...all my old Citi Visa cards got converted long ago. But I do have a different anachronistic old Citi card that I have been thinking a lot about recently: a Citi "Amex" card. Had it probably about 4 years. Frankly, I've been surprised it has soldiered on so long.

I hadn't been using it much for the past year or so, then a few months back I discovered a new reason to use it a little on a regular basis. So I've been putting around $1K every month on it recently. Sadly, the option to use that particular card in the way I've been using it, that's no loner available (as of, well, when I woke up yesterday morning and checked my email...I suspect a few others here can probably relate). So, bottom line, my old Citi Amex doesn't seem to have much use anymore - only a little sentimental value.

Question: Does Citi convert old Citi Amex cards to new MCs?

If so, I'm thinking it's time for me to retire this old horse before it gets swapped out.

Thanks.

IAD_flyer Jan 10, 16 5:57 pm

I saw on Reddit that some people are getting targeted offers for x3 on selected categories of spend. Have not seen any reports here, has anyone been targeted here? If, so was it a inactive card and how long was your card opened for?
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...lect_q1_3x_on/

diseased Jan 10, 16 7:03 pm

Dh got an offer for 3x miles per dollar at restaurants plus two other categories on a gold card. I got 3x miles but for spend in different categories on a ps card. Both are rarely used and have been open nine months.

PaulMSN Jan 10, 16 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 25991246)
...Question: Does Citi convert old Citi Amex cards to new MCs?

If so, I'm thinking it's time for me to retire this old horse before it gets swapped out.

Thanks.

I still have my Citi AmEx from 2013 and two Citi Plat Visas, also from 2013. I've had one Visa converted to MC, but I doubt they'll convert the AmEx. It would probably be contrary to whatever agreement they have with American Express.

Richard Berg Jan 11, 16 12:43 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer (Post 25981205)
Does the back of your card say "World" with yellow and red or "World Elite" with sliver? Also on your online account check to see if it says under "Profile & Settings" then "Set Default Account and Nickname": "Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard®" meaning W or "Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select®" meaning WE.

It's a silver card that says "Platinum Select" on the front and "WORLD ELITE" on the back. Pretty sure it's the original card they sent last May, i.e. not a replacement for a yellow/red "World" card. Exp 05/19.

So, does that mean link 4c is ready for me to churn?

IAD_flyer Jan 11, 16 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Richard Berg (Post 25997619)

Sounds like it.

sdsearch Jan 11, 16 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Richard Berg (Post 25997619)
It's a silver card that says "Platinum Select" on the front and "WORLD ELITE" on the back. Pretty sure it's the original card they sent last May, i.e. not a replacement for a yellow/red "World" card. Exp 05/19.

If they really sent you a WE as your first card, the question is whether they will do that again? If so, your churn may not be successful. The whole W->WE loophole is based on the fact that they're approving your new card as a different type of card (W) than the card you currently own (WE). The loophole might not work if you're a person to whom they give WE from the start. (But if so, you would be the first person we've heard of that being confirmed. So far everyone who reports getting a WE from that start seems to be not really absolutely sure about it, just like you.)

So at the very least, from now on keep track of this stuff, so you don't have be just "pretty sure" about it.

I don't throw away or shred any of my cancelled or replaced cards. I put them in a box, where I can refer to them later if any questions arise. If a bank suddenly imposes a policy "no bonus for you if you had the same card in the past 7 or so years" (which Amex-the-bank did do in the past year or so), I just go to my box and figure out I last had the card. (Btw, Amex the bank seems to have implemented exactly that policy.

You don't have to put the cards in a box of course; you could keep paper or spreadsheet records of them instead, for example. But in this case, you would have needed to know that you need two specific words from the back of the card, and would you have kept that if you weren't keeping the whole card?

slice Jan 11, 16 10:38 am

I was targeted for the 60k offer but of course misplaced it. No phone reps were able to locate the offer, so I applied with the public 50k link. Should I secure message now and ask to be coded for the add'l 10k bonus, or wait until after I spend and the 50k posts, then ask for an extra 10k?

NTP9766 Jan 11, 16 10:55 am

Originally Posted by slice (Post 25999638)
I was targeted for the 60k offer but of course misplaced it. No phone reps were able to locate the offer, so I applied with the public 50k link. Should I secure message now and ask to be coded for the add'l 10k bonus, or wait until after I spend and the 50k posts, then ask for an extra 10k?

I've asked for the extra 10k miles twice now via SM, and they have granted it within 24 hours. Both times were before I met my spend (the second time was before I even received the card).

slice Jan 11, 16 11:38 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 25999762)
I've asked for the extra 10k miles twice now via SM, and they have granted it within 24 hours. Both times were before I met my spend (the second time was before I even received the card).

Did they "code" you for the offer so the 10k hits after spending, or will it post immediately/with next statement? Did you say anything specific?

NTP9766 Jan 11, 16 11:42 am

Originally Posted by slice (Post 26000017)
Did they "code" you for the offer so the 10k hits after spending, or will it post immediately/with next statement? Did you say anything specific?

I just SM'd them telling them that I received a 60k mile offer in the mail, and wanted them to match it on my current card. Received a reply the next day telling them that they matched the 10k, and that it would take 1-2 statements to show up (it showed up after 1 statement on the first card; still waiting for the 1st statement to close on the new card).

PETERPNYC Jan 11, 16 11:44 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 25999762)

+1 SM matched pretty fast.

I met the spend on my latest card, but when i go to the progress "Circle" it shows nothing .
Do I have to wait for my first statement to close to see it ?

jsk1973 Jan 11, 16 11:53 am

It says on the progress page that it's as of one's last statement.

cb11 Jan 11, 16 12:00 pm

So W > WE happened many months ago. But still showing Exec Plat on the Citi AA Profile Page. CL has been dropped, assume it's safe to apply for the new one?