Best use of Thank You Points

Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Best use of Thank You Points

I have 13,700 Thank You points sitting in my Citi account from the year or so I used the Citi forward card. I don't intend to get a Thank You points earning card in the near future and would like to dispose of my balance. What are the best uses of my balance?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Not very familiar with the program, but if you don't have the top two cards (prestige or premier) you cannot redeem to any airline/hotel and so the best bet is to use it for redeeming credits against paid flights.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I was thinking of applying it towards an upcoming hotel stay. Just wanted to see if there was a better value I'm missing.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
I have 13,700 Thank You points sitting in my Citi account from the year or so I used the Citi forward card. I don't intend to get a Thank You points earning card in the near future and would like to dispose of my balance. What are the best uses of my balance?
If you do not intend to get a Premier or Prestige card, then the best value you'll get for your points is 1cpp. Because gift card denominations can't work out to 13,700, your best bet is to use them for travel-related purchases costing >$137 so that you can clear out the points and pay the balance in cash.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:58 am

Best use of TY points without a Citi credit card?

I just learned that airline transfer partners are not available to me as my points were earned from my banking relationship and I have no citi credit card. Any suggestions for the best use of 50k TY pts under these circumstances. A bunch are expiring soon. Thanks guys.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

How many points, and how soon? Have you looked at the gift card redemptions?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:42 am

About 50k in points. I did look at the gift cards. The redemption rates were underwhelming but I guess that will be a last resort if nothing better. I thought I would be able to transfer to an airline partner but Citi only allows that if you have a credit card with them.

I wonder if I opened a credit card with them they would let me use the banking points that way, or whether those points are still excluded from airline transfer. I will have to check and see.

Last edited by mia; Oct 11, 2015 at 12:00 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:00 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Maria26
I wonder if I opened a credit card with them they would let me use the banking points that way, or whether those points are still excluded from airline transfer. I will have to check and see.
Points earned through banking are classified as "taxable", and are not eligible for Sharing or Transfer. You will need to redeem them directly, but if you had a Premier or Prestige card the redemption value would be higher in some categories. The tax liability will be determined based on the value of the redemption.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:30 pm

So I'm stuck with the lousy gift card option? Ok. It is what it is. Do you happen to know if I get one of those cards whether Citi would let me combine the points I already have for airline transfers? Thank you for your help Mia
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:39 am
mia

Originally Posted by Maria26
... if I get one of those cards whether Citi would let me combine the points I already have for airline transfers?
You can combine points earned with other credit cards, but nothing other than an IT error at Citi will make taxable points Shareable or Transferrable. Taxable points can be used to purchase travel through the portal on thankyou.com, or redeemed for gift cards or merchandise.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:59 pm

Best Use of 120k Citi TYP

Hi All,

Just looking for an opinion. I accrued 120k Citi TYP but have absolutely no plans to travel anywhere in the near future, which I suppose would provide the most value. That being said, what's the best value for these points? Gift cards, something else? Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:22 pm

I just got a pamphlet in the mail that Citi is having a sale on gifts bought with TYPs in case you need a new iPad or MacBook or Tumi. Check that out.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by rooney
Hi All,

Just looking for an opinion. I accrued 120k Citi TYP but have absolutely no plans to travel anywhere in the near future, which I suppose would provide the most value. That being said, what's the best value for these points? Gift cards, something else? Thanks!
You can have a check sent to you at a rate of one cent per point under the perfect of a student loan repayment or mortgage payment. It's obviously better if this is the truth. Some people do it irrespective of the truth. I won't comment on the ethics of it.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:28 pm

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 9, 2016 at 9:20 am
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Whenever I have (otherwise for me useless TY points) I spend them on Walmart GC and go grocery shopping for free for several weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.