Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
The thread was split on September 24, 2014. To review the original thread, click HERE.
------------------------

For questions NOT related to the application process - such as experiences using benefits - refer to the AA forum thread on this card: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (Master Thread)

Recommended Application Procedure:
Clear cache and cookies prior to applying or use an incognito or private browsing session to apply. Opening multiple different apps in different windows or tabs or failing to clear cookies/cache has resulted in people receiving a lesser offer for some Citi cards. We do not know, and Citi has not indicated, how long these offers will last. Citi has left other offers alive for over a year beyond the 'apply by' date in the past. These links could be here all year or gone tomorrow. If the application loads, it is good, based on past Citi applications that survived past the landing page expiration, regardless of any posted or advertised 'apply by' date.

MOST CURRENT LINKS:

CURRENT PUBLIC OFFER: 50k

"American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi Executive / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard opened or closed in the past 18 months"

Link A50

Link B50

Link C50

Link D50

Link E50

Link F50

Link G50

PREVIOUS OFFERS

Previous 75k links (NOT WORKING 11/18)

Link A75, Link B75, Link C75, Link D75, Link E75, Link F75, Link G75, Link H75, Link I75, Link J75, Link K75

Landing Page
Application Page (Both pages include the 18 month language).

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...-executive.jsp

Option 1: Zombie Link with no Landing Page, Several FTers have been using this link with Success. Application Link 50k with 5k spending

Option 2: [note: may be dead or dying as of 3/16/15- check most recent posts in thread] Current Zombie link Application Link 50K for 5K spending, no statement credit.

Option 3: This Link was obtained off of aa.com at one point Bonus is unknown Application Link.

Option 4: Citi Website Offer; Application has the following warning
"American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi Executive / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard opened or closed in the past 18 months" There are indeed several reports of people who have already had an EXEC card not receiving any signup bonus miles. And no reports of anyone who has had an EXEC before actually getting any signup bonus at all. Do NOT use this link if you have ever had an EXEC card.
Landing page for New 50K for $5K spending, no statement credit and Application Link
The following are identical to Option 4, but the landing pages were working at the time they were entered into this wiki. All landing pages and application pages have the same content but (slightly) different URLs:
Option 4a: Landing page and Application page
Option 4b: Landing page and Application page
Option 4c: Landing page and Application page

Option 5: Does not have the 18-month language of Option 4, and the application form has the older format (like Option 2 and unlike Option 4).
Landing page for 50K for $5K spending, no statement credit and Application Link

Option 6: Artificially generated links; all lead to old-format application pages just like Options 1/2/5, without the "18 months" language found in Option 4 application pages. No landing page ever existed.
There are reports in the thread that applications using 6a/6d were approved but the UPS letter did not mention a bonus, and Citi telephone agents said there would be no bonus. Other reports say that the bonus was stated in the letter.
6a: Application page
6b: Application page
6c: Application page

6d: Application page

Option 7:The following link is very similar to Options 1/2/5 and has been found to work without an 18-month restriction. Since it does not originate from a landing page, there is no web page showing the bonus offer. However, the UPS letter confirms a 50K-mile bonus after $5K spend, and many people have reported that the bonuses have appeared in their AAdvantage accounts. Application Link Link to application page began dying on 6/1/2015. Now completely dead.

EXPEDITED SHIPPING
While reconsideration/application reps do not seem to be aware of this, these cards are expedited and usually arrive 1-2 days after approval.The CSR will not take a request to expedite the card.

Who is eligible for this card? Anyone as long as you can be approved for the minimum $5K credit line, subject to the standard Citi rules of 1 Citi app or card of any kind per 8 days and 2 Citi cards or apps of any kind per 65 days. It is always advisable to wait 65 days from any type of Citi denial before applying for another Citi card. Many have reported getting approved for this card in spite of having several open AA cards over the past year as well as having previously had this card.

Not sure about the 8 and 65 day rules? If your most recent application for any Citi card is less than click here - 8 days ago, you need to wait. Also, if your previous (second-to-last) Citi application is less than click here - 65 days ago, you need to wait. These are not rules published or known by Citi CSRs but rather based on thousands of Citi card applications and datapoints across several threads.

Credit inquiry history
Some have reported more approval success with no more than 5 or 6 Experian inquiries within the last 6 months. And Citi credit reviewers have told some applicants that too many inquiries is a problem, even with an excellent credit score. Multiple inquiries from other banks seem to be especially problematic, because Citi can't see their current balances as easily. Other applicants have been approved with more inquiries, especially with a long term Citi tenure and a favorable income to debt ratio.

This card can be churned. Recent datapoints concerning multiple Executive cards include posts 917, 1059 and starting at 1365. For in-depth datapoints and advice on churning Citi cards, read and study the extensive wiki posts in the HH thread and the AA Plat/gold thread. Click the plus on the right hand side of the wiki if you do not see the wiki text. Datapoints for bonus points posting on multiple cards include post 2579.

Getting around the $450 annual fee: Many people have been able to meet the spending requirement before the first statement posts and then cancel and have the fee refunded after the miles post. Details and datapoints include starting at post 74. T&C state that the card must be cancelled within 30 days of the fee posting to get it refunded; in practice you have 37 days. Potential problems with this plans include a very short (1 week or less) first "month" as well as delays in miles posting which have been reported by several FTers.

Once you cancel the card (within the 37 day window of AF posting) the refund will post on the account between 1-3 business days. Leave a $450 balance and it will be zeroed out.

Retention Bonus Offers: User have been offered the following retention bonus offers when calling to cancel the card:

- 5,000 points + $100 credit with $1,500 spend per month for 3 months 5333
- 2 additional club member passes 6862
- 1,000 bonus miles each month for 16 month, min $1k spend/month 6862
- [3/15] 15,000 bonus miles for spending $5k
- $450 Credit for spending $5k for next three statements

Already a member? If you already purchased an AC membership (for example, using the credit from Amex Plat) and apply and are approved for this card, AA will refund you the pro-rated AF from any time left on your membership.

When do miles post? Usually two days after your statement closing date. In some cases your statement will show the correct miles earned but will show 0 miles reported to AA. In this case see this thread.

Helpful points from post #3794 and others, especially for those new to Citi:
1) Citi CSRs are clueless, so disregard everything they say that seems to contradict anything you have read on F/T. And take everything else with a big grain of salt. I was told 3 times VERY CLEARLY "You will not got your annual fee refunded" while I was cancelling, but I did get it.

2a) With Citi, if you are approved for a card, and meet the minimum spend requirement, you will get the bonus listed for the offer you applied for. Every time ! Unlike Chase or AMEX, who will send you a card, wait for you to pay the fee and spend, and then say "sorry, you don't qualify for a bonus". If Citi doesn't intend to give you the bonus, they will just deny your app. They won't even do a pull, they will just instantly deny your app. If they send you the card, and you meet the spend on time, you will get the bonus. My attorney insists I add "that could change tomorrow", but from the Big Bang thru today, that has always been true.Recently, Citi has been approving Exec cards but not giving the bonus, e.g. when there has been less than 18 months from the previous application. Therefore, (a) use an application link that does not list the 18-month wait requirement; (b) check the letter you get via UPS to see if it explicitly promises the bonus; if it's in the letter, it will be honored (c) if in doubt, call and ask.

2b) Another helpful post discussing timeframe for meeting min spend: 6279

3) Any expectation that Citi will do things that make sense is just plain silly. They won't.

Citibank Contacts/Resources
  • Application status: https://www.accountonline.com/cards/...?screenID=3187
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.
  • Executive Office - useful for getting a more empowered agent for reconsideration purposes: CitiBank Executive Review Department, P.O. Box 6000, Sioux Falls, SD 57117
Admiral Club Access: You do not need to be flying AA that particular day of travel. (Ex: you're flying DL on the day of travel...you could still enter the AC lounge, even though you're not on an AA flight that day.) Beware, though, that individual lounges have individual rules (see the link below). Alternate rules usually come w/ Qantas lounges, not AA lounges. Furthermore, AC access "comes with" US Air access (19 locations). As of December 2015, authorized users have AC access (but not partner lounge access) even if they are not with the primary card holder.

For reference, an AC lounge list: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...#admirals-club
For questions and discussions on lounge access: Help Desk: Lounge Access and Lounge Access Rules
Information on new authorized user AC lounge access: Citi Authorized User Admirals Club Benefit Terms

Also, please note that these cards do not include the 10% miles rebate offered by some other Citi AA products.

What about the EQM? AA tracks your miles earned on Executive card(s) and adds 10K Elite Qualifying Miles to your EQM balance once you earn 40,000 miles during a calendar year on Executive card(s). Any number of Executive cards can add up to the 40K, and you cannot earn more than 10K EQM each year. No redeemable miles are added, and this is of no consequence or value unless you will also earn at least 15K additional EQM in a given year by flying and 10K will bump you up to the next status level.

Direct phone number to Citi Fraud Prevention department: +18664705331

Concierge service enrollment (allows for electronic requests). Concierge number is +18778812668

Here are the minimum credit limit required amounts in order to keep an account open (for purposes of new card applications and reconsiderations)
Citi Amex 1k (likely citi gold as well)
Citi Visa signature/world MasterCard 3k (as low as 1k on some accounts YYMV)
Citi World elite Mastercards (including exec) 5k

Advice to those new to citi American Airlines cards,

If you are just starting out please apply and use the lower level citi AA card for a while before moving on to this thread and card. This will help you in the long run in more ways than one. Most of us here have opened and used lower level AA cards before moving on to this thread and card
Also,
Check out this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-benefits.html
Print Wikipost

Citi AA Executive [Late 2014 - 2015]

Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Yes. Push a payment from any account that allows you to pay a Citi Mastercard, do a billpay at a store that accepts Mastercard payments, pay with cash or check in a Citi branch, pay with a debit card or check over the phone, snail mail a check...

Use absolutely any method by which one could pay a credit card other than using your card account to pull a payment.
Thanks.

currently, it shows "pending" - I will wait until it posts to pull from citi.

If not, will call and use debit card.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by JATR4
If the transaction is pending, you may be able to pay when it posts.
Hoping it lets me. Will keep y'all posted.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by maxmnx
I applied and was approved on 3/29.

I just received the "Account Approval Notice," and it is dated 3/31.

For the 8/65 day rule, any thoughts on which day is the one to use?

I never noticed this disparity before, but maybe it always happens?
If you take a look at the wiki, you will see that the date of approval (or date of notice sent about approval, or whatever) is irrelevant.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by 1 million
Hoping it lets me. Will keep y'all posted.
You will not be able to pull a payment using your online credit card account until after the first statement post. Until then, use any other method.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:13 am

Not exactly what you are asking, but account fee probably won't be on the first statement with that close a closing date.
Main thing I wanted to accomplish was getting bonus miles and closing the card as soon as possible in order to free up credit for the next round of apps in 60 days. Figure if I had time to squeeze in the spend and get the miles before this short statement closed, it'd be that much more likely to get the CL freed up prior to the next app cycle.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by nrdk
Main thing I wanted to accomplish was getting bonus miles and closing the card as soon as possible in order to free up credit for the next round of apps in 60 days. Figure if I had time to squeeze in the spend and get the miles before this short statement closed, it'd be that much more likely to get the CL freed up prior to the next app cycle.
You can reduce the CL to lower amount after you meet the spend. Should free up most of the CL.

Last edited by JATR4; Apr 1, 2015 at 11:34 am
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat / OW Sapphire / Hyatt Diamond / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nrdk
Anyone ever have success getting a tracking number for the card shipment? Got the UPS letter yesterday, however would like to get the card ASAP as I've got some spend coming due in the next day or 2.
I received an email from UPS today that they have a package coming Next Day Air for me from Citibank. I did my app on Monday late afternoon PDT, so I was very happy to hear that I'll have it tomorrow. Like you, I have something due that will help me meet the minimum spend in one charge, so I'll be waiting anxiously for UPS tomorrow.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMilzz
I received an email from UPS today that they have a package coming Next Day Air for me from Citibank. I did my app on Monday late afternoon PDT, so I was very happy to hear that I'll have it tomorrow. Like you, I have something due that will help me meet the minimum spend in one charge, so I'll be waiting anxiously for UPS tomorrow.
Letter came UPS, card itself came FedEx. Funny thing is, I'm signed up for FedEx Insight (same as UPS My Choice) where you can see/get alerted to upcoming package deliveries. Got my card delivered yesterday (standard FedEx overnight) and received the notification of a shipping heading my way this morning (day after delivery). UPS My Choice is always on top of upcoming deliveries, first experience with the FedEx Insight and amused, but not satisfied.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:48 pm

You can reduce the CL to lower amount after you meet the spend. Should free up most of the CL.
Yea I had too much of a CL sitting on a double cash and AA plat previously before I started churning Execs 12 days ago, so although I lowered those lines now I just want to free up as much as I can before the next round. Stopped by for April 1 Redbird visit and cleared out the min spend on Exec2, hopefully the miles on Exec2 will post with this upcoming statement.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
I also received this message and made it to step 5 of the application process. So I called in. They're wanting the dreaded 4506-T form authorizing the release of my transcript of last years return.

It's actually my SO's application where I added my income as a source of repayment, so the income on her transcript is not going to match the amount stated on the app. Plus it will require a second hard inquiry and several weeks for a decision. I don't want them to start asking for my 4506-T as well so that neither of us can get a Citi card because of some perceived issue even though I have honestly stated our actual income.

I'm thinking I'll skip this and retry for her eight days later, but this time I'll include an employer on the app like all the successful times before this most recent app. Unfortunately it was late and I put self-employed/hospitality on the app which I suspect generated the 4506-T. That was really the only difference other than my first try at the Brugge method of lowering three of her credit limits a couple weeks ago in hopes of auto-approval. She does like first class, but doesn't like calling in.

Any thoughts on my situation???
Originally Posted by flyerboi69
I don't think the application for this card asks you for your source of income. I don't see it... Are you sure about that?
Oops! Wow it was late! That was the Chase Hyatt app asking about the source of income. Thanks for catching that @flyerboi69!

So now I'm really curious as to what generated the 4506-T. Perhaps because I lowered three credit limits only two weeks before this app. And if I was already at my maximum overall Citi credit limit, and I didn't leave myself any cards with enough credit on them to move credit around, and if the three credit limits I lowered hadn't yet recycled to my credit available for allocation...

Or maybe I was at my Citi max and they couldn't issue a $5K credit limit to this card. But then again, I doubt I would've made it to step five of the application process if that were the case.

Any thoughts???

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Apr 1, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
Oops! Wow it was late! That was the Chase Hyatt app asking about the source of income. Thanks for catching that @flyerboi69!

So now I'm really curious as to what generated the 4506-T. Perhaps because I lowered three credit limits only two weeks before this app. And if I was already at my maximum overall Citi credit limit, and I didn't leave myself any cards with enough credit on them to move credit around, and if the three credit limits I lowered hadn't yet recycled to my credit available for allocation...

Or maybe I was at my Citi max and they couldn't issue a $5K credit limit to this card. But then again, I doubt I would've made it to step five of the application process if that were the case.

Any thoughts???
I really don't think it was because you lowered your cls. The less credit you have with them, the less they have to worry about your actual income. But perhaps the reduced CL hadn't recycled yet, and the computer still saw you as having the former high CL..
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Thanks Brugge! I'll try for her again on Friday and see what happens. Perhaps the CL will be recycled enough by then for an auto approval.

Any other thoughts in the meantime from anyone about what generated the 4506-T will be appreciated. I am also quite curious to hear about personal experiences in applying for more Citi cards after a 4506-T request and its associated application have been abandoned.

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Apr 1, 2015 at 4:21 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by flyerboi69
Has anyone had any success getting this card after Citi requested IRS form 4506-T? They're asking for it. The only problem is that they'll get my tax information for calendary / tax year 2013, where my income was significantly lower than what it is now and hence lower than the income on my application...
Wait 2 weeks - I think you will have a new tax return then showing current income....no?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
You will not be able to pull a payment using your online credit card account until after the first statement post. Until then, use any other method.
thanks for the info. i will call tomorrow and pay off with debit.

just to make sure i don't screw this up - i made a purchase, will pay it off tomorrow, statement end is approx a week. now i just wait until miles post. once miles post, i send a secure message to cancel the card. even if the annual fee is charged, i will be refunded the fee. correct?

also, what are you writing in the message? "hello - i would like to cancel this card" - would that suffice?

thanks everyone.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by 1 million
thanks for the info. i will call tomorrow and pay off with debit.

just to make sure i don't screw this up - i made a purchase, will pay it off tomorrow, statement end is approx a week. now i just wait until miles post. once miles post, i send a secure message to cancel the card. even if the annual fee is charged, i will be refunded the fee. correct?

also, what are you writing in the message? "hello - i would like to cancel this card" - would that suffice?

thanks everyone.
You have 37 days from the date the AF shows on your statement (Charged) to cancel your card and get the AF refunded.

to cancel your card you can say:

"Hi,
I would like to close account ending with XXXX.
Thank You
1 million"

Last edited by ninim2200; Apr 1, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.