FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   The New Citibank Expedia Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1613882-new-citibank-expedia-card.html)

UA Fan Sep 18, 2014 12:33 pm

The New Citibank Expedia Card

Didn't Citi have an Expedia card before?

https://www.expedia.com/rewards/credit_card

mia Sep 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Citi issued lightly modified versions of the PremierPass cards for Expedia. These earned ThankYou Points, even after Expedia reduced their participation in ThankYou Rewards and launched their own rewards program.

roki Sep 18, 2014 1:03 pm

After the heavy gutting of the Expedia points program in late 2013, I imagine this card will be a hard sell for many people. However, the +gold benefits, 5K/year, and $100 statement credit that offsets the AF of the card might be incentive enough. For those that don't currently actively use Expedia, I wouldn't think this offer is enticing enough to enter the program.

taxicabnumber Sep 19, 2014 12:58 am

I've got one of the old Expedia cards (good for drugstore MS/real purchases). Really hope I don't get auto-converted...

Chimmy31 Sep 25, 2014 10:40 am

What are your thoughts on Expedia's reward system? I thought it was a bit overpriced compared to the Thankyou network and Chases reward system but that was after just a brief look an testing of roundtrip tickets...

taxicabnumber Sep 25, 2014 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Chimmy31 (Post 23580292)
What are your thoughts on Expedia's reward system? I thought it was a bit overpriced compared to the Thankyou network and Chases reward system but that was after just a brief look an testing of roundtrip tickets...

Complete garbage with a history of drastic devaluations. I'd stay far, far away from these cards.

(Their old Expedia cards were great, but those earned TYP rather than Expedia points)

Chimmy31 Sep 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber (Post 23582330)
Complete garbage with a history of drastic devaluations. I'd stay far, far away from these cards.

(Their old Expedia cards were great, but those earned TYP rather than Expedia points)

I feel ya... Even the gold status for Expedia seems pretty weak in my opinion... It's easily attainable and the benefits don't really appeal to me at all..

I have to admit though, I do like the CC design... I also like Expedia's website design... They've changed a lot since the last time I used them... 2005 perhaps? lol

Dadaluma83 Sep 26, 2014 3:25 pm

You know I am keeping an eye on this Expedia credit card and naturally their rewards program. I like to keep a backup in mind for if/when Doug parker guts advantage, either the redemption side or earning side, or both. If AA mirrors Delta and United I no longer get my best value with an airline co branded card.

My two back up plans are the Orbitz rewards and Expedia Rewards. Orbitz has by far the better rewards program as far as earn and burn and can rack up huge rewards with the card, but it is not a chip card, is issued by a bank I never heard of so the credit card part of it makes me weary. I think the name is capital, something or other, not capital one but something else.

On the other hand Expedia rewards are less generous than Orbitz rewards, but their card is issued by a prime lender and makes me feel more secure.

mia Sep 27, 2014 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83 (Post 23587061)
.... Orbitz has by far the better rewards program as far as earn and burn and can rack up huge rewards with the card, but it is not a chip card, is issued by a bank I never heard of ...

The Orbitz RewardsTM VisaŽ Card and Orbitz Rewards Visa SignatureŽ Card are issued by Comenity Capital Bank,

This is the same issuer as the Virgin America cards, discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...ital-bank.html

GrnLantern Nov 8, 2014 8:08 pm

Has anyone gotten one of these cards, and checked their Terms & Conditions?

Specifically, I'm wondering if the Car Rental Insurance benefit they mention is Primary vs. Secondary coverage:

Worldwide Car Rental Insurance
Be more confident at the rental car counter – you may be covered against theft or damage up to $50,000 for any rental car in any country when you pay with your Citi card and decline the rental company's collision loss/damage insurance.
There's no additional detail on their website. :(

lz80521 Nov 12, 2014 11:47 am

Datapoints:

I applied for this card in late October and got first statement closed yesterday (11/11). I spent 3k on it so 28k pts are shown in the 1st statement (but have not been posted in expedia account yet). Also, $100 reimbursement (for 2*50 AA GC) was credited and I should be able to get another $100 in early January statement.

FYI, 28k pts are enough for 2*$200 (14k pts=$200) coupon at +VIP hotels, which I believe is great for my winter travel in Florence and Venice where there are lots of +VIP hotels (really good hotels) rather than chain hotels (Hyatt, IHG, etc).

lz80521 Nov 13, 2014 8:25 am

Hi guys, does anyone know how long it will take for the points to be posted into expedia account?

xinverness Dec 7, 2014 6:13 pm

Got an offer to "upgrade" my Citibank Expedia card to new Expedia+ card. No annual fee, all my TY points from the card would be converted to Expedia points, and I would get 10,000 more points with $500/3 mos. Sounds from discussion here this would not be worthwhile (?)

MG_Expedia Dec 8, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi All,

I appreciate the candid feedback on the +Rewards and Co-Branded card programs. I've passed along some of this feedback to my Loyalty/Rewards Team. I can say that we are constantly looking to improve the program and what you see with the most recent iteration of Expedia +Rewards is not the "final" version but only the beginning.

Thanks again for the feedback - Keep it coming.

MG | Expedia

Big4Flyer Jan 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Just opened my Expedia+ Voyager Mastercard and so far I've been very impressed. I applied for the card on a Thursday and had the card delivered Friday, which is faster than I've received other premium cards like the RC Visa and AmEx Plat. The card looks better than any other Citi cards I've ever had and the packaging was very nice. I applied for the 20,000 point +$100 statement credit offer which we'll use for an upcoming trip to Alaska. Based on other's experiences on tripadvisor, gold expedia status that comes with the card has gotten them free upgrades and other goodies at the VIP hotel we'll be staying at. The way I see it, the sign-up bonus and one year's annual fee will still net me a $500 value. The sign-up points are worth $300 if redeemed at a VIP hotel, + $100 statement credit +$200 airline credit - $95 annual fee.

To me this is a somewhat underrated card, although admittedly the best value would only come in a few select locations where there are good VIP hotels to redeem points at.