Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Citi card insurance 11/23/14 and 5/15/2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: themicah
Effective 5/15/16 there are further changes. The main changes seem to be extending extended warranty coverage from 12 to 24 months, extending return protection coverage from 60 to 90 days, and extending Citi Price Rewind limits from $300/item and $1200/year to $500/item and $2500/year. Please update this wiki if you find other changes or find that any of these do not apply to certain cards.

Following are the benefits guides we have found:
Citi Thankyou Preferred, Forward card (and likely some others without annual fees)
Citi AT&T card
Citi ?? Non-cobranded card (likely cards without annual fees)
Citi ClickCiti AAdvantage and likely (but unconfirmed) AAdvantage Bronze card
Citi Hilton card
Citi Expedia+ card
Citi Thankyou Premier card
Citi AAdvantage Platinum, Gold and likely (but unconfirmed) Silver card
Citi Hilton Reserve card
Citi Expedia+ Voyager card
Citi Prestige card
Citi AAdvantage Executive
Citi Chairman Card

For historical purposes, here are the benefits guides we found that were effective 11/23/14 to 5/14/16:
Citi ?? Non-cobranded card
Citi AT&T card
Citi Platinum, Gold and likely (but unconfirmed) Silver AAdvantage card
Citi Hilton (Reserve?) card
Citi ClickCiti and likely (but unconfirmed) Bronze AAdvantage card
Citi Hilton card
Citi Executive AAdvantage card
Citi Prestige card
Citi Chairman Amex
Print Wikipost

Changes to Citi card insurance 11/23/14 and 5/15/2016.

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 8:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
...I'd be a bit surprised if there was a record of who specifically the GA handed out small items like food vouchers ....
I don't think it matters. The airline's letter will state the cause of the delay, and the insurance company will know the airline's policy for that circumstance. If, for example, the airline offers food vouchers it probably doesn't matter if I chose not to wait to get one, or chose not to use it because airport restaurants cannot accommodate my dietary preferences.

Where we can differentiate coverage quality is in the circumstance where the airline's policy is to provide vouchers, but none were actually available.
Old May 8, 2015, 9:23 am

That's too bad--I also had a good experience with Chase's delay insurance.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by mia
Where we can differentiate coverage quality is in the circumstance where the airline's policy is to provide vouchers, but none were actually available.
Precisely, and definitely an area I'm curious about, since I have run into that problem before. I know there has been little in the way of first-hand experiences in the Prestige, but still trying to proactively learn about the benefits so I know what to expect before I have to use them.
Old May 8, 2015, 5:08 pm

Last September, I had to utilize the Citi Prestige insurance benefit for car rental damage insurance, which was submitted/handled through MasterCard.

I submitted the last of my paperwork on Sep 10 and update from them the next day with the following:

Upon review of your claim we find that we still have not received the following information:
•All documentation received
I then received another notice from them on Sep 18 that my claim was complete and provided the reimbursement amount.

I was pretty satisfied, considering I was in the hole $3k from sixt (someone hit our bumper on our parked car and left no information).
Old May 8, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Update: a few days later I received another letter asking me to provide settlement confirmation and revised itinerary, both of which I provided one month ago. I lost faith on them and just ignored the email.

Then one day later, I received an email, approving the whole amount of claim (including tips for meal not shown on the receipt).

From this experience, it is a mess with IDS Insurance.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
It sounds like a case where people in "said department" don't know what one another is doing with a particular claim. The result one worker sends an email stating we need a certain document. Meanwhile that very document is sitting either in someone else's computer or on their desk.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:15 am

Question Platinum Select CC insurance coverage?

Having purchased an economy RT on a european airline using the AA CC, if my TATL flight into europe is delayed causing a missed connection (separate PNR) to the european airline, will the credit card provided insurance pay for any fees if the european carrier's flight has to be re-booked?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cloudybw
After having submitted all required documents for one month and heard back nothing from Citi, I received the following:

The documents I was asked to provide were:
  1. Claim form signed by Cardmember
  2. Card billing statement showing cardmember name and transaction charge for the common carrier ticket
  3. Copy of travel itinerary/reservation confirming dates of travel and carrier used
  4. Support of Trip Delay (ex: letter from common carrier, newspaper clipping, weather report, police report, etc.)
  5. Written proof of settlement or outcome of the claim filed with the airline or common carrier
  6. Receipts for travel expenses as a result of the delay
  7. Proof of relationship to the Cardmember

What exactly is "Checklist Documents"?

Mind you this is a claim for less than $100. Last couple times I had $300+ claims with Chase, they were settled within one week.

What are fellow FTer experiences for travel delay claims (or any claims) with Citi Prestige (IDS Insurance)?
How strict are they with the three hour delay rule? My flight was delayed 3+ hours so I canceled and rerouted. Plane ended up arriving only 2:35 hours late but it was but what was announced. I based initial decision on what was announced. Will they honor what was originally announced or are they sticklers even for something just under three hours late?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
How strict are they with the three hour delay rule? My flight was delayed 3+ hours so I canceled and rerouted. Plane ended up arriving only 2:35 hours late but it was but what was announced. I based initial decision on what was announced. Will they honor what was originally announced or are they sticklers even for something just under three hours late?
Did it depart 3 hours late (and make up time in the air)? If so, I would say you have grounds for debate.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:00 pm

Insurance benefits on AAdvantage Platinum Select

I recently got a new AA Platinum Select card and was reviewing the Guide to Protection Benefits. There's a few changes from previous cards that are interesting.

The good: Car rental insurance now looks like it covers any car, anywhere. No more exclusions on SUVs, luxury cars, or certain countries.

The bad: "Travel booked with American Airlines AAadvantage Miles is not covered."

In fact, it looks like travel booked with any points/miles will not include lost/delayed luggage benefits, Trip Delay Protection, Worldwide travel accident insurance, Damage & Theft protection, and even rental car insurance (if the car was paid for using miles/points).

That's disappointing and will certainly dissuade me from booking any travel with this card. It's a shame, because booking with this card gives a free checked bag. My Chase issued cards extends the insurance coverage to trips booked with miles/points.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by mrdeke
That's disappointing and will certainly dissuade me from booking any travel with this card. It's a shame, because booking with this card gives a free checked bag. My Chase issued cards extends the insurance coverage to trips booked with miles/points.
You actually don't need to book AA flights with the Citi AA card to get the free checked bag. Having the Citi AA card gives your AAdvantage account special status (when you log into AA.com, you should see "CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ cardmember" right under your name). And as long as there is a Citi AA card linked to your AAdvantage number, you get the free checked bag regardless of what credit card you use to book the flight. So go ahead and pay the taxes/fees on award flights with the Chase card.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:51 am

Citi Prestige Card Travel Protection Benefits

I've been researching the Citi Prestige travel protection benefits and they keep stating that the travel must be on a trip paid in full, including taxes and fees, with your Citi Prestige card (or thank you points). What do they mean by "trip paid for in full?" Is this only the airfare? Do I also have to put the hotel(s) on this card? Thanks!

Here is what I'm looking at:

https://image.info9.citibank.com/lib...n_Benefits.pdf
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
I asked them this question a couple of months ago, and the answer is that it depends on which benefit you're trying to use.

If you're trying to use a flight related benefit (i.e. trip delay, baggage delay, etc.), then yes, the entire flight cost would have to be paid for with the card. The only exception is using Thank You points.

If you're trying to use a hotel related benefit (i.e. trip interruption and cancellation - and therefore may have a penalty from the hotel), then that benefit would have to be paid in full with the card.

If you want the coverage for a related part of the trip, then you need to be sure that part of the trip is paid for with the card. If you're only looking for protection on the flight, then you only need to pay for the flight with the card (since, on the flip side, you could be staying with relatives and not have an associated cost with the stay).

It took me a couple of calls to Citibank to get that clarification.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:14 pm

Thanks CaroPalms. I guess I was mostly referring to "Medical Evacuation" and/or "Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance." This benefit could be needed during any part of the trip (you could be injured or have a medical emergency on the airplane, at the hotel, walking the streets, etc...).
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:08 pm

I think as long as you have a roundtrip ticket on a common carrier (plane, boat, train, bus) that doesn't exceed the maximum trip duration and was paid for with the card, you should be covered for those things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.