Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Citi card insurance 11/23/14 and 5/15/2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: themicah
Effective 5/15/16 there are further changes. The main changes seem to be extending extended warranty coverage from 12 to 24 months, extending return protection coverage from 60 to 90 days, and extending Citi Price Rewind limits from $300/item and $1200/year to $500/item and $2500/year. Please update this wiki if you find other changes or find that any of these do not apply to certain cards.

Following are the benefits guides we have found:
Citi Thankyou Preferred, Forward card (and likely some others without annual fees)
Citi AT&T card
Citi ?? Non-cobranded card (likely cards without annual fees)
Citi ClickCiti AAdvantage and likely (but unconfirmed) AAdvantage Bronze card
Citi Hilton card
Citi Expedia+ card
Citi Thankyou Premier card
Citi AAdvantage Platinum, Gold and likely (but unconfirmed) Silver card
Citi Hilton Reserve card
Citi Expedia+ Voyager card
Citi Prestige card
Citi AAdvantage Executive
Citi Chairman Card

For historical purposes, here are the benefits guides we found that were effective 11/23/14 to 5/14/16:
Citi ?? Non-cobranded card
Citi AT&T card
Citi Platinum, Gold and likely (but unconfirmed) Silver AAdvantage card
Citi Hilton (Reserve?) card
Citi ClickCiti and likely (but unconfirmed) Bronze AAdvantage card
Citi Hilton card
Citi Executive AAdvantage card
Citi Prestige card
Citi Chairman Amex
Print Wikipost

Changes to Citi card insurance 11/23/14 and 5/15/2016.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:54 am

The cap on car rental coverage also went up on most (if not all) cards. On most cards with an annual fee it's now $100k (up from $50k I think).
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by lhagan
I just spoke to a CSR at CitiBank about rental car coverage on my Citi Thank You Preferred account. They listed three changes:

1. Now covers loss of use and towing. I specifically asked (twice) if they require the rental car company to provide fleet usage data to prove actual loss of use, and she said "no" both times. I'm still skeptical given the number of stories I've heard about loss of use not being covered.
If that is accurate, it is a huge benefit. Citi is essentially saying they will do the fighting for you, since the usage logs always involves a fight with the rental car company.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Citi Prestige - Travel Cancellation and Trip Insurance

Looking to get a premium credit card for some upcoming travels, and comparing the Prestige card versus other similar cars, an interesting and potential huge benefit mentioned with the Prestige card is the Travel Accident Insurance and Trip Cancellation protection.

Looking online I can't seem to find much information, anyone's experiences/accounts or much fine print, does anyone have any experiences to share with either one of these benefits?

Thanks
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I believe you are looking for this:

https://image.info9.citibank.com/lib...n_Benefits.pdf
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Originally Posted by mia
I believe you are looking for this:

https://image.info9.citibank.com/lib...n_Benefits.pdf
Huge help, thank you that is what I was looking for

Wish "trip" was defined a bit better, and again not sure if anyone can offer anything. We are doing a safari in South Africa and we used miles to get to Johannesburg, and obviously would not expect Citi to cover any portion of that part for whatever reason, but was planning on purchasing our inter-Africa flights using the Citi card, so my understanding we would have coverage for those portions of the trip. Not that I hope anything goes wrong, just coordinating a few weeks abroad with lots of moving parts, nice to have some protection
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Sorry to revive an older thread, but is it 100% confirmed the benefits do not apply to award flights? I just arrived on an award ticket on AA/AB JFK-ZRH-TXL-BUD and my bags are stuck in TXL. It's been >24 hours and the airlines aren't doing anything, so I wanted to see if I had any benefits on the Citi AA card I charged the taxes and fees to. It looks like I'm out of luck, but just wanted to confirm.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by veeRob
Sorry to revive an older thread, but is it 100% confirmed the benefits do not apply to award flights? I just arrived on an award ticket on AA/AB JFK-ZRH-TXL-BUD and my bags are stuck in TXL. It's been >24 hours and the airlines aren't doing anything, so I wanted to see if I had any benefits on the Citi AA card I charged the taxes and fees to. It looks like I'm out of luck, but just wanted to confirm.
Did you ever try calling Citi to ask?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by themicah
Did you ever try calling Citi to ask?
From memory, I believe I was told there was nothing they could do to help.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Citi Prestige Trip Delay Insurance is a Joke

After having submitted all required documents for one month and heard back nothing from Citi, I received the following:

Upon review of your claim, we find that we still have not received the following information. If all requested documentation is not received within 90 days of your claim submission date, your claim will be temporarily closed until all requested documents are received.

· Checklist Documents
The documents I was asked to provide were:
  1. Claim form signed by Cardmember
  2. Card billing statement showing cardmember name and transaction charge for the common carrier ticket
  3. Copy of travel itinerary/reservation confirming dates of travel and carrier used
  4. Support of Trip Delay (ex: letter from common carrier, newspaper clipping, weather report, police report, etc.)
  5. Written proof of settlement or outcome of the claim filed with the airline or common carrier
  6. Receipts for travel expenses as a result of the delay
  7. Proof of relationship to the Cardmember

What exactly is "Checklist Documents"?

Mind you this is a claim for less than $100. Last couple times I had $300+ claims with Chase, they were settled within one week.

What are fellow FTer experiences for travel delay claims (or any claims) with Citi Prestige (IDS Insurance)?

Last edited by cloudybw; May 4, 2015 at 5:55 pm
Old May 4, 2015, 6:40 pm
mia

Originally Posted by cloudybw
What exactly is "Checklist Documents"?
Guess: either that is a placeholder in the form which someone was supposed to replace with specifics, or they don't show that they received any documents.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by mia
Guess: either that is a placeholder in the form which someone was supposed to replace with specifics, or they don't show that they received any documents.
They asked me for additional documents (airline settlement outcome) one month ago and I submitted it to them, so they've definitely got what they want.

I am so mad of them for the long processing time, lack of communication and ridiculous requirements. I am seriously reconsidering to use another card to book revenue tickets.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
yup, their baggage delay insurnace sucks too, i gave up on it. united lost my bags for 2 days, and they said they were only secondary insurance. when i finally claimed with them, they would only reimburse me with the stuff i for bought the the next which i still had recepits for. shoudlnt the fact it was on the card enough? when it was clothes and toiletries?
Old May 7, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT
What is involved in "settling" with the airline when you encounter a delay?
Old May 8, 2015, 7:43 am
mia

Originally Posted by linglingfool
What is involved in "settling" with the airline when you encounter a delay?
If a flight is delayed or cancelled the airline may offer vouchers for food, amenities or accommodation depending on the cause of the delay. The insurance company expects us to obtain and use those before spending their money, and to keep receipts for what we do purchase.They also expect us to obtain a letter from the airline verifying what occurred. This is a routine request.

If you were flying AA you would start here:

https://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEma...=tripInsurance
Old May 8, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by mia
If a flight is delayed or cancelled the airline may offer vouchers for food, amenities or accommodation depending on the cause of the delay. The insurance company expects us to obtain and use those before spending their money, and to keep receipts for what we do purchase.They also expect us to obtain a letter from the airline verifying what occurred. This is a routine request.

If you were flying AA you would start here:

https://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEma...=tripInsurance
Thanks. I knew about the form for trip insurance, and I can understand there being documentation for any hotel accommodations, but I'd be a bit surprised if there was a record of who specifically the GA handed out small items like food vouchers to. I've always been reimbursed by AA in the case of IRROPS, so I've thankfully never had to make a claim against travel insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.