Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Citi card insurance 11/23/14 and 5/15/2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: themicah
Effective 5/15/16 there are further changes. The main changes seem to be extending extended warranty coverage from 12 to 24 months, extending return protection coverage from 60 to 90 days, and extending Citi Price Rewind limits from $300/item and $1200/year to $500/item and $2500/year. Please update this wiki if you find other changes or find that any of these do not apply to certain cards.

Following are the benefits guides we have found:
Citi Thankyou Preferred, Forward card (and likely some others without annual fees)
Citi AT&T card
Citi ?? Non-cobranded card (likely cards without annual fees)
Citi ClickCiti AAdvantage and likely (but unconfirmed) AAdvantage Bronze card
Citi Hilton card
Citi Expedia+ card
Citi Thankyou Premier card
Citi AAdvantage Platinum, Gold and likely (but unconfirmed) Silver card
Citi Hilton Reserve card
Citi Expedia+ Voyager card
Citi Prestige card
Citi AAdvantage Executive
Citi Chairman Card

For historical purposes, here are the benefits guides we found that were effective 11/23/14 to 5/14/16:
Citi ?? Non-cobranded card
Citi AT&T card
Citi Platinum, Gold and likely (but unconfirmed) Silver AAdvantage card
Citi Hilton (Reserve?) card
Citi ClickCiti and likely (but unconfirmed) Bronze AAdvantage card
Citi Hilton card
Citi Executive AAdvantage card
Citi Prestige card
Citi Chairman Amex
Print Wikipost

Changes to Citi card insurance 11/23/14 and 5/15/2016.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:42 am

Hi all,

Is there some more evidence of award tickets being covered? My Avios booking was caught up in the BA meltdown on May 27th. I was supposed to fly from London to Aberdeen and bought a train ticket instead (about $500 total for 2 pax booked on the card). Should I bother trying to claim this? (I also need to close my Prestige in the next day or two, so I'd ideally claim and then close the card....)
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:16 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Yes, you can claim that as long as you paid for taxes on the Prestige
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:43 pm

I wouldn't count on getting the payout after you've canceled your card.

It's possible it'll still work as long as you initiate the claim before cancelling the account, but I wouldn't be surprise if it got rejected somewhere along the way if you cancel between submitting the claim and getting the payout.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:55 pm

AAdvantage Miles Used to Purchase a Portion of the Trip

Someone recently asked about Citi covering one-way tickets and it was confirmed that they do. I recently purchased 2 one-way AAdvantage awards and used a Citi Business Card for the taxes. The return journey one-way tickets were also booked with AAdvantage miles but I used my personal Citi AAdvantage card for those taxes. All hotels and tours were booked using the personal card.

As I was reading the 2016 updates to the Travel Insurance Benefits for the Personal Card {"To be eligible for coverage under this benefit, your Citi card and/ or AAdvantage® miles must be used to purchase at least a portion of the Trip. In the event of partial payment, we will only reimburse the lesser of the actual amount paid for with your Citi card (including AAdvantage® miles) or the maximum coverage per Trip."}, I took it to read that as a card member, even my first journey of one-way tickets would be still be covered because I had used AAdvantage miles for that journey, even though I had used a Citi Business AAdvantage card for the taxes.

It was explained to me that the taxes are refundable regardless, and that by being a card member and using my AAdvantage miles, I was still covered for that part of the journey (the only part paid with a Citi Business card was the taxes on the one-way outbound journey).

I know I should take their word for it, but just wanted to double check that info here on this board before I purchase my primary travel insurance policy.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:41 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Citi interruption/ trip delay for different tickets

If i buy 2 separate tickets with a Citi prestige am I covered for the whole trip ? or both separately ?
Also if I pay for one ticket which is part of a bigger trip am i covered for the whole trip? the wording is confusing.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
...separate tickets...
Do you mean separate tickets where you may miss the connection, or a one-way ticket outbound, and another one-way ticket return, or something else?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:55 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Where you may miss the connection technically they are both part of the same trip ?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:10 pm

Travel Ins -- cancelled card, Citi Hilton Hhonors

never mind, issue resolved

Last edited by andreaborn; Oct 1, 2017 at 9:18 am Reason: issue resolved
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have moved your question into the most appropriate thread. Start here:

http://i.info4.citi.com/wpm/100164/PDF/Guide5.pdf

Last edited by mia; Oct 1, 2017 at 4:40 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Will Citi provide extended warranty for refurbished items which come with 90 days manufacturer warranty?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:05 am

Question re extended warranty insurance for Citi prestige and/or att access more

I want to have a recent iphone on installment plan covered. Citi says I get coverage up to amount charged on the card. So given this is on my cell phone bill (carrier installment ) I need to pay my cell phone bill w my card.

Can I only pay the phone amortization amount on the Citi card and I’m still covered.

For example,

Call phone bill:

$250, includes $50 payment for the phone hardware.

I pay $50 on Citi
I can pay $200 on chase ink to get 5x

Could Citi benefit administrator deny coverage and say that unless I prove otherwise they can assume the $50 paid was towards the service and not hardware.

I’ve got a number of cards where I need to meet minimum spend and cell phone bills are high portion of organic spend that I’d hate to give up to Citi completely. Plus, ink 5x is a high opportunity cost also.

Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:26 pm

Sony camera just went bad on vacation and needs $300 repair. Anyone have any luck with Citi honoring purchases made before the date they announced the benefit (May 2016)? We purchased it in Dec 2014 and it’s still covered by the 24 month extension but it was before this was technically a card benefit.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Can I only pay the phone amortization amount on the Citi card and I’m still covered.
I suspect that if you kept really good records it might work, but it seems like a lot of trouble to split your payment every month (I don't think there's a way to automate that) and risk the possibility that they'll deny coverage anyway. I don't think there's a way to get a definitive answer without actually making a claim (and even then YMMV depending on which individual handles your claim).

If you have the cash in your bank account, I'd buy the phone outright rather than amortizing it.

Alternatively, you could pay the full bill with Chase Ink and just live with 1 year of extended warranty instead of two. If it's the Chase Ink Preferred card then you'll get cellphone protection as long as you keep paying the bill with the card (even beyond 2 years) and that's arguably more valuable than Citi's extended warranty (although in an ideal world I'd buy the phone outright up front with a Citi card for 2 year extended warranty and then use Chase Ink Preferred to pay the service charges for the unlimited duration cell phone protection plan).
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Moorea
Sony camera just went bad on vacation and needs $300 repair. Anyone have any luck with Citi honoring purchases made before the date they announced the benefit (May 2016)? We purchased it in Dec 2014 and it’s still covered by the 24 month extension but it was before this was technically a card benefit.
I think the current benefit is only for purchases made starting May 2016. It is probably the prior insurance underwriter who would handle your claim.

although give them a ring and open a claim. you never know with Citi.
Moorea likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
I suspect that if you kept really good records it might work, but it seems like a lot of trouble to split your payment every month (I don't think there's a way to automate that) and risk the possibility that they'll deny coverage anyway. I don't think there's a way to get a definitive answer without actually making a claim (and even then YMMV depending on which individual handles your claim).

If you have the cash in your bank account, I'd buy the phone outright rather than amortizing it.

Alternatively, you could pay the full bill with Chase Ink and just live with 1 year of extended warranty instead of two. If it's the Chase Ink Preferred card then you'll get cellphone protection as long as you keep paying the bill with the card (even beyond 2 years) and that's arguably more valuable than Citi's extended warranty (although in an ideal world I'd buy the phone outright up front with a Citi card for 2 year extended warranty and then use Chase Ink Preferred to pay the service charges for the unlimited duration cell phone protection plan).

thanks. i don't have the CIP card. that's on my to-do in Q1 once i drop below 5/24.

I am not worried about missing the Citi payment on the amortization because citi doesn't require all of the payments to be made on the card. they just limit coverage to the amount charged to date to the card.

i am done with 12 month extended warranties. i had two iPhones in the family fail this year, one was at around 20 months, so amex reimbursement came in nicely and the other one was an iPhone 6 bricking at around 2.5 year mark. it was a family member who did not want to wait until Sept when the 8 came out so was forced to buy out of warranty replacement 6 for $300.

i also don't like dealing with Chase benefit administrator. seeing how they take their time in paying out price protection i stick to citi, even though citi price rewind is 60d vs chase 90d.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.