Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Double Cash MasterCard unlimited 1% + 1%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Double Cash MasterCard unlimited 1% + 1%

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:26 am

Does anyone direct deposit from the DC to a non-Citi bank account? I've been doing that since I got the card, to a Bank of America checking. But when I went in to do it just now, I got this.
Name:  chrome_2017-07-16_00-25-16.png
Views: 1968
Size:  9.3 KB

Hoping it's just a glitch, but if they really want me to make them send me a check every so often instead of an ACH, I will.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by penner42
Does anyone direct deposit from the DC to a non-Citi bank account? I've been doing that since I got the card, to a Bank of America checking. But when I went in to do it just now, I got this.
Attachment 36346

Hoping it's just a glitch, but if they really want me to make them send me a check every so often instead of an ACH, I will.
I got this message last week, when I tried to cash out my Citi Dividend rewards. It sounds like the same issue. I know I've paid my bill via checking account twice just like the requirements state. Rather than call Citi and ask about it, I just requested a check.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:43 pm

Is it better to receive a check or transfer to checking? Am I losing money by doing statement credits?

Found the answer- if you redeem your cash back as a statement credit, that redemption does not count as paying for the purchase and does not give you an additional 1% cash back. Ergo, you do not get a full 2%.

Last edited by Travelz; Jan 1, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:30 pm

IME, when it's a new card, they didn't allow me to do ACH transfer to my bank on my first statement even if I have used that bank to pay for charges. IIRC, this was implemented for two cycles and thereafter, I was able to do a transfer to any bank on file.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travelz
Is it better to receive a check or transfer to checking? Am I losing money by doing statement credits?

Found the answer- if you redeem your cash back as a statement credit, that redemption does not count as paying for the purchase and does not give you an additional 1% cash back. Ergo, you do not get a full 2%.
But in the long run, you get at least 1.98%, right? Ie, the most you lose (in the long run) by doing statement credit is 2% of the 1% for paying, and thus you only get 0.98% for paying.

So while it sounds like less, it's not that much less. Ie, the next best cards from major banks earn only 1.5% cash back, and so 1.98% vs 2.00% isn't such a big deal compared to that, IMHO.

But I guess that's one of the reasons why Citi can't legally promote this as a 2% cashback card.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:20 pm

My parents have the Double Cash card and just had a huge purchase that they paid in parts. Because it was twice their credit limit, they paid $15k, waited for the charge to post, immediately paid it off before statement closed, then charged another $15k, paid that off, and now they’re going to make a third payment.

My question is, since this isn’t straight 2x card, will they get the 1% for paying off the balance? Or does the cardholder only get the second 1% for paying off the STATEMENT balance? Because if that’s the case, that 30k they paid won’t show in the statement.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:15 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I've had this card for a few years now, and it has been in my wallet the whole time - there is always some spend that doesn't fall into a bonus category on other cards. It has low-key become my favorite card going into 2019 as a lot of other cards are slowly losing value. (see: Are travel credit cards really worth it now?)

This is the easiest card to recommend to almost anybody who has decent credit.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Xlr
I've had this card for a few years now, and it has been in my wallet the whole time - there is always some spend that doesn't fall into a bonus category on other cards. It has low-key become my favorite card going into 2019 as a lot of other cards are slowly losing value. (see: Are travel credit cards really worth it now?)

This is the easiest card to recommend to almost anybody who has decent credit.
I still have this card also, but I'm transitioning to the Chase Unlimited 1.5% for my non-bonus category spending. I figure since I can transfer to my CSR and transfer to hotel/airline partners at 1.5-2 cents per point redemption. That equals a 2.25%- 3% return. I guess if you have the time to travel, the travel cards are still worth it.
mia and levilevi like this.

Last edited by pdragn78; Jan 22, 2019 at 10:31 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:44 pm

Not much travel recently so have used this card past couple years. So far, we have received over $2800 back. Also, no fee so its a good card for us.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
That's a lot of cash back, balwx! You've charged over $140k? I guess my household could do the same over 3-4 years though we don't focus our spend on any one card. I travel enough that I see value in keeping a few airline and hotel cards and combining those CC points with my butt-in-seat/butt-in-bed points and elite status. I'd definitely recommend Citi DC to anyone who's not a frequent traveler.

Last edited by darthbimmer; Jan 27, 2019 at 9:45 pm Reason: misspelling
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
That's a lot of cash back, balwx! You've charged over $140k? I guess my household could do the same over 3-4 years though we don't focus our spend on any one card. I travel enough that I see value in keeping a few airline and hotel cards and combing those CC points with my butt-in-seat/butt-in-bed points and elite status. I'd definitely recommend Citi DC to anyone who's not a frequent traveler.
It's actually around $2600. I agree. It works for us, groceries up to 6k, go on BCP
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by balwx
It's actually around $2600. I agree. It works for us, groceries up to 6k, go on BCP
damn. what did you spend your 140k on?

Last edited by mia; Feb 23, 2019 at 2:12 am
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by zack14
damn. what did you spend your 140k on?
Basically everything, except groceries which up to 6k go on the Amex BCP...
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by balwx
Basically everything, except groceries which up to 6k go on the Amex BCP...
At that point, why not just try to grab the Alliant 2.5% card? You spend well above the break even point when compared to the Double Cash, and then of course you have the 3% back during your first year.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
At that point, why not just try to grab the Alliant 2.5% card? You spend well above the break even point when compared to the Double Cash, and then of course you have the 3% back during your first year.
Point well taken. I just went to easiest route, since I PC'ed from Citi diamond (something like that)....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.