Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
....My TK miles statement shows two transfer from Citi.
Thank you for the additional details. I would just bring it to TK's attention, and see if they bother to reverse the duplicate transaction.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:26 pm

DP:
Transferred 90 k TYP on 11/15 to TK, just 2 days before their big software update.
My last year transfer took less than 24 hours but this one went on for 29 days. It required 5-6 (TK) online submissions, 3 calls to CITI (not able to help at all) and 5-6 calls to TK 800 (US) number. Twitter "TK help" not able to help at all.

It took persistence and luck to get the right rep whom sent an email to the right place and points were finally credited within 24 hours.
Luckily, I was still able to book desired award ticket (3.4C/1TYP).
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:07 am

Any recent DPs about how long it takes to transfer to Qantas? Some last minute seats opened up on an Emirates flight and I'm thinking of transferring over some points to book it, but not if it's going to take >24 hours to transfer.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
How long does it take to transfer to flying blue now? The wiki says instant however it doesn't seem to be so for a transfer just made.
UPDATE: received after 30 mins.

Last edited by zig2; Jan 9, 2019 at 10:03 pm Reason: Update
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Probably not the best place to post this, but with the added bonus and points now, where do most people redeem them at? I was thinking Lifemiles since they offer good redemption rates for J/F travel internationally.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:12 am
mia

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
....I was thinking Lifemiles since they offer good redemption rates for J/F travel internationally.
You may wish to review this thread, because the transfer function seems to be unreliable and Citi doesn't appear equipped to resolve failures.

Citi ThankYou added Avianca LifeMiles as transfer partner
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
Just wanted to provide another data point that the Citi ThankYou -> Flying Blue transfer was instant and without issue.

Previously you may need to add two 0's in front of your Flying Blue account #, now you no longer need to do so.
mia likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:22 am

Transferred 40k TYP from Citi on Sunday to Eva Air. Still waiting...4 days
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:23 pm
mia

Originally Posted by tatjr13
Transferred 40k TYP from Citi on Sunday to Eva Air. Still waiting...4 days
See THIS post for background.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:46 pm

Transferred 90k points (after bonus) to TK Friday at noon. Still not in my account but Cit lists the transaction as complete. Anecdotes and blog posts state the transfer takes a day. I did this with a specific redemption in mind and I don’t want to lose out on it If space dries up.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by touristtrap
DP:
Transferred 90 k TYP on 11/15 to TK, just 2 days before their big software update.
My last year transfer took less than 24 hours but this one went on for 29 days. It required 5-6 (TK) online submissions, 3 calls to CITI (not able to help at all) and 5-6 calls to TK 800 (US) number. Twitter "TK help" not able to help at all.

It took persistence and luck to get the right rep whom sent an email to the right place and points were finally credited within 24 hours.
Oh no.... I wish I had read this DP prior to transferring points. I have a flight on hold and I really need it! I thought all DPs said 24 hours and I pulled the trigger. I just transferred 90k points as well to TK, but that was on Friday at around noon. Still nothing in my account. Citi can't do anything and TK just tells me to do an online submission that will be answered "within 7 days." He said there was no one he could transfer me to to help me. I have a trip coming up in June and I know "I" space is going to try up on my flight on the day I need it. Any tips on what to do? Who did you speak to and what did you say to get him to send the email? Should I just keep HUCA until someone does something for me?

I can't let this drag on for a month, I need to book in the next few days.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by max_kolesne
I had 28k in my account. Transferred 62k from Citi, and redeemed 90k (upgrade from V to J), leaving me with only 7 miles. Today, I have 62k in my account again. The new amount I have is exactly the same with the amount that I transferred from Citi. My TK miles statement shows two transfer from Citi.
How long did it take for the points to transfer from TYP to TK?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by touristtrap
DP:

Would you be kind enough to point us to the precise email/phone of the dept. or agent that was finally able to help?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by moe8555
Would you be kind enough to point us to the precise email/phone of the dept. or agent that was finally able to help?
are you having an issue as well? When did you transfer your points?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:03 pm

Seriously, no one else has had issues transferring to TK with the 20% bonus? It's been almost a week and still nothing. Can anyone who has had this problem in the past please provide some guidance? They have the worst customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.