Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:51 am

would you just search award flights on united and then call singa to book? singas site doesnt load for intercontinental travels
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by nall
This is interesting, although Singapore card holders also get access to IHG, Delta, and British Airways.

The lack of IHG and Delta don't surprise me, but, honestly, I'm surprised BA isn't a TYP partner. They seem willing to partner with pretty much anyone.
Ugh i wish i could get avios! it would make it much more valuable!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by bbmatt
Ugh i wish i could get avios! it would make it much more valuable!
That would be an instant switching point for me from Chase back to citi as my primary credit card issuer

I always feel bad when I get citi exec cards for the AA miles and other offers, while using Chase SP as my primary card daily
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mizzou1
Yet again, does Malaysia Airlines Enrich show up as a transfer partner in anybody's account?
It has now been added:

https://www.thankyou.com/partnerProgramsListing.jspx
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Good! Perhaps we should also wait for Flying Blue to be added.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Wiki updated accordingly.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Good! Perhaps we should also wait for Flying Blue to be added.
Speaking of which, this is an option on ThankYou.com as of today.

Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by nall
Speaking of which, this is an option on ThankYou.com as of today.

Excellent! ^
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Excellent! ^
Any guesses on who might be next? I hope BA. Then again, I also hope that the new iberia award chart doesn't get implemented at BA
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Any guesses on who might be next? ...
My guess is that we're done for awhile. Both Malaysian and Flying Blue were mentioned in the initial marketing material. There may have been technical or compassionate reasons that they were delayed.

AA, BA or VS would be welcome additions, but truth be told I already have a half dozen cards which earn BA points, and nearly as many which earn VS miles, so it's not really important.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:51 am

Given how easy it is to collect TY points, and given millions (billions?) of points people already collected through 5 TY/$ offers, and given Flying Blue is the only TY transfer partner of true value (Krisflyer has also some value, but it is a partner of ALL other transfer programs), I think a major devaluation would be inevitable for Flying Blue. The question is: how long does it take to happen?

Yet, this is a great day for TY program, perhaps not so for Flying Blue.

Last edited by mizzou1; Aug 25, 2014 at 2:23 pm
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia
My guess is that we're done for awhile. Both Malaysian and Flying Blue were mentioned in the initial marketing material. There may have been technical or compassionate reasons that they were delayed.

AA, BA or VS would be welcome additions, but truth be told I already have a half dozen cards which earn BA points, and nearly as many which earn VS miles, so it's not really important.
BA would be a nice addition for those who do not like Chase very much. Chase is giving me absolute Hell over a few $5 differences in purchase amounts due to DCC I experienced way back at the end of June. Needless to say I am not happy and with be severely limiting my use of Chase cards going forward. I have switched to Amex now but would really like to switch back to citi, but just can't see myself collecting just AA miles (even though they are relatively easy to collect, thanks again to citi) or thank you points yet because they don't have that many meaningful partners. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Any guesses on who might be next?
Personally, I'd think that AA would be added eventually, but AA is dealing with the merger at the moment (and will be for a while), so we may have a bit of a wait for that.

BA and/or VS would be nice, but I have no idea if that would actually happen.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: all
One of the best values for the prestige account is the 1.6 cents a mile redemption value on AA/USair tickets. Plus you get miles on them as well. especially beneficial for exec plats and EQM
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I can add a time point for SQ:
Placed transfer order on thankyou.com on Sept.3
Received miles in my Krisflyer account on Sept.5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.