Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Transferred in 30K LifeMiles, and it was instant.

Still unsure what the best program is to use TYP for best international F and J. Traditionally used Krisflyer, but people have said Virgin Atlantic is a good option.

Never used Virgin Atlantic FF program, and not sure of their partners. I know there is a thread on it, but can anyone off the top of their heads just quickly explain why Virgin Atlantic is a good transfer partner, and what are the best sweet spots? All I care about is getting the biggest bang for my buck on F/J international redemptions.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:34 am

Update: my miles that I transferred at noon from TYP to TK M&S on February 8th were just credited to my account this morning (2/15/19). So: 7 days total.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:51 am

My 72k (90k) transfer took little bit over 24 hours.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:00 am

It is a pain to deal with their CS but one has to follow certain (weird) rules.
If you go to their web page or the App look for help and FEEDBACK form.
Follow instructions and after entering your issue you will need image of your ID uploaded as well.
Then if no response within 1-2 business days you can call their US number 1 800 874 8875 and I think choose option 6.You will get your reference number via email after submitting feedback form.
Then with some luck your issue will be addressed (Turkish) timely.
You can try Twitter as well (@TK_TR).

Last edited by touristtrap; Feb 16, 2019 at 7:02 am Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:19 am

Also I always screenshot my transfers as proof in case they get lost.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by mia
You may wish to review this thread, because the transfer function seems to be unreliable and Citi doesn't appear equipped to resolve failures.

Citi ThankYou added Avianca LifeMiles as transfer partner
Well ive got to put them somewhere and honestly have no idea about a lot of their airline partners. Does anyone have suggestions for the best airlines to transfer out to? I wish Korean Air was a choice.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:55 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Routes...?

NWPlatinum, if you provide some usual or desired routes you want to fly, perhaps we can better help you. :-)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Well ive got to put them somewhere and honestly have no idea about a lot of their airline partners. Does anyone have suggestions for the best airlines to transfer out to? I wish Korean Air was a choice.

I suggest you consider an airline where you keep miles alive "forever" (through non-flying activity), or with very long expiration times (like Korean's 10 years) if you're going to "park" TYPs. That would limit you, I think, to Avianca (Star Alliance), Jet Blue, or Virgin Atlantic.

There's a link in the wikipost above to a list which shows expiration policies for all TYP-transferable airline.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 25, 2019 at 9:03 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:12 am

Transferred 38k TYP to TK M&S, showed up after 48 hours.
In M&S member number I wrote just the number without TK prefix.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I have a transfer to Qantas going on 3 full days now, whereas two previous transfers were completed in under 24 hours. Does anyone know if there's a problem with Qantas now?

EDIT: The transfer went through a few hours after writing this post, total time was approximately 86 hours (3.5 days).

Last edited by moe8555; Mar 27, 2019 at 1:14 am
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:00 am

My TYP transfer to SQ was surprisingly fast - requested at noon PST Wednesday, was in my account at 11PM PST same day.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:55 pm

citi IT is so trash.

Today it is the last day for typ to qantas bonus, but the typ website has been down most of the day. ...
Old May 20, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Transfer to CX 25k miles, requested on Friday around 6 pm PDT, posted somewhere between Sat. Midnight and Sun. morning.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Any recent issues transferring TYP to FB? I booked a trip around this time last year and the transfer was instant, but of course now that I'm trying to take advantage of this 3-day promo, no dice.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Any recent issues transferring TYP to FB? I booked a trip around this time last year and the transfer was instant, but of course now that I'm trying to take advantage of this 3-day promo, no dice.
What 3-day promo you talking about

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.