Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:41 pm

EVA Air only takes 1 business day to post.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:50 am

I initiated a transfer to SQ on March 29 but the points have not been received so far.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Has anyone been able to transfer to other's AF accounts?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:28 pm

Has anyone been able to transfer to other's frequent flyer programs?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by changger1
EVA Air only takes 1 business day to post.
I'm looking to fly direct from LAX and TPE. I've had good experience flying EVA before. I am just starting to looking into the miles game due to yearly international flights I see myself + family taking. Is it a good idea to get the Citi TYP for EVA redemption miles?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sungchiahao
I'm looking to fly direct from LAX and TPE. I've had good experience flying EVA before. I am just starting to looking into the miles game due to yearly international flights I see myself + family taking. Is it a good idea to get the Citi TYP for EVA redemption miles?
There might be fuel surcharges when you redeem EVA flights with EVA miles. However if you have UA miles and redeem on EVA, you won't be charged YQ.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
There might be fuel surcharges when you redeem EVA flights with EVA miles. However if you have UA miles and redeem on EVA, you won't be charged YQ.
YQ = fuel surcharge?

Where do I check the fuel surcharges matrix?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Just did a test transfer to SQ. Points earned from Banking were transferred.
BTW, these points have expiration dates.
I updated the wikipost by crossing out the line that says banking points are not transferred.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sungchiahao
YQ = fuel surcharge?

Where do I check the fuel surcharges matrix?
Correct. create an eva account and try to make a booking with miles.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:29 am

I have about 3000 points that could not be transferred. Were those points earned by banking?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tylergupku
I have about 3000 points that could not be transferred. Were those points earned by banking?
I don't know why it would matter where the points were earned. Wouldn't it have to do with the points increments the program you transferred to allows?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tylergupku
Probably. You can verify this by looking at the Expiring Points list which shows the source of all the points in your account, and when (if ever) they will expire.

6. Can all ThankYouŽ Points be transferred?

No, taxable points and points that are made unavailable for redemption due to signs of fraud, abuse or suspicious activity in your ThankYou Member Account or due to your failure to make the required minimum payment due on your participating CitiŽ credit card account by the payment due date are not eligible for Points Transfer. Taxable points are points received for a Citibank checking relationship, points obtained through activity unrelated to purchases made with your eligible Citi credit card, as well as bonus points that may be awarded with no spend requirements such as opening new Citi accounts or for signing up for new credit card account services.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:23 pm

Does one still need to put "00" before FlyingBlue number?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by CITI
6. Can all ThankYou® Points be transferred?

No, taxable points and points that are made unavailable for redemption due to signs of fraud, abuse or suspicious activity in your ThankYou Member Account or due to your failure to make the required minimum payment due on your participating Citi® credit card account by the payment due date are not eligible for Points Transfer. Taxable points are points received for a Citibank checking relationship, points obtained through activity unrelated to purchases made with your eligible Citi credit card, as well as bonus points that may be awarded with no spend requirements such as opening new Citi accounts or for signing up for new credit card account services.
This is almost all inclusive!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
This is almost all inclusive!
Not at all. Points earned by opening new credit card accounts, and by using credit cards to make purchases, are transferable. Those are the main activities discussed in this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.