Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:08 pm

Anyone have any experience with mismatched transfers yet? Even last name matching first name different, like if I want to use my brother's TYP?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by etilyeti
FYI, it apparently takes 3 to 5 days for TY points to be transferred to Air France according to MileValue: http://milevalue.com/how-long-to-tra...es/#more-19200
I also read that on MV and was a bit apprehensive as I needed to transfer about 40k TYP into FlyingBlue for a Promo Award this week.

However, to add my own pleasantly surprising data point, I found the transfer actually only took about 24-48 hours (I wasn't monitoring it too closely, but I initiated the transfer on a late Friday night/Saturday AM and noticed the points had moved by Sunday afternoon).
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by JFKjolly
I also read that on MV and was a bit apprehensive as I needed to transfer about 40k TYP into FlyingBlue for a Promo Award this week.

However, to add my own pleasantly surprising data point, I found the transfer actually only took about 24-48 hours (I wasn't monitoring it too closely, but I initiated the transfer on a late Friday night/Saturday AM and noticed the points had moved by Sunday afternoon).
+1 - the flyingblue transfer only took 24-48 hours for me as well.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:34 pm

How long is Citi-KrisFlyer and Citi-FB transfer?

I've seen reports on milevalue.com of citi TYP transfers to Singapore and AirFrance taking 24-36 hrs.

I put in a transfer request on Sunday. It's Thursday night now, the points haven't hit Sin or AF. Any experience with transfers? How long do they take?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by stevento
How long do they take?
I moved your question into the established thread. Scroll back to post 120 and read forward, there are reports of transfers to both AF and SQ.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that your transfers were affected by system maintenance on the weekend. I would contact Citi customer service.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:50 pm

Citi -> SQ cleared in 4 days.
Citi -> AF, 5 days and counting.

Citi CSR chatted that everything transferred out of Citi correctly.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:39 am

Since nobody has mentioned it here, I'll note that HH transfers have been bumped up to 1 TYP:2 HH until 1/8/15. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-8-2015-a.html. (Still not worth it IMO, but may be of use to some folks.)

I've added a note to the wiki.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of the merits of the HHonors transfer bonus has been moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-8-2015-a.html
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:48 am

Well, just found out about the fact that my 45k points from banking aren't transferrable to partners. So annoyed that I'm contemplating closing my largish relationship with Citi. I'm sure I'll calm down in a few minutes.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by djibouti
Well, just found out about the fact that my 45k points from banking aren't transferrable to partners. So annoyed that I'm contemplating closing my largish relationship with Citi. I'm sure I'll calm down in a few minutes.

Trust me, I have had accounts with nearly all banks , and I have turned full circle and came back to them as primary

The other banks credit card customer service kinda sucks badly
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:03 pm

Fortunately for Citi the PITA of transferring accounts to another bank costs way more than the value of 45k TY points
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by etilyeti
FYI, it apparently takes 3 to 5 days for TY points to be transferred to Air France according to MileValue: http://milevalue.com/how-long-to-tra...es/#more-19200
It took me 2 days to transfer to Flying Blue from Citi.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:10 am

FYI just did a transfer transfer to Hilton and it was about 15min (so basically instant). Initiated at 10:53am, points were in HHonors account at 11:07am.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Transfer question:

I understand that TYP gathered under the banking program are NOT transferable if one has a Premier/Prestige card.

But is the initial sign up bonus transferable? I understand that the points earned by using the card for daily spend would be. But does Citi consider the initial sign up to be analogous to the banking bucket of points, i.e. taxable and not a rebate, and thusly not transferable?

Any experience with that?

Trying to figure out if I should get a premier/prestige, although we have a small stranded stash of TYP already there, that won't be transfer eligible anyways, but am hoping that the possibly the 1.6c redemption on AA/US might be worth a new card....
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
But is the initial sign up bonus transferable?
Yes, from recent personal experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.