FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi Prestige : Admirals Club access benefit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1562705-citi-prestige-admirals-club-access-benefit.html)

leonard016 Mar 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Citi Prestige on fire

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid (Post 22575135)
It is not. AA.com specifically lists guest access to 2 guests or immediate family.

I think nall means "will an authorized user have his/own lounge access to the Club?"

Since the current authorized users do receive their own Airport Angel access, i will speculate that they will also have AA access.

Now this card is on fire - if AA access becomes a permanent benefit which seems most likely the case, it is even better than what Amex Platinum was in its heyday (having CO/DL/AA access):
  • An annual companion ticket which is actually useful. For $50 more, an authorized user gets a second companion ticket, which is insane.
  • AA lounge access for the card member plus two guests for domestic coverage + Airport Angel for international travel. An authorized user gets lounge access also.
  • The maximum return rate for general spending is 4% and for dining is 6.4% (you need to spend $100K a year, fly 100K miles a year, have a private banker, and redeem only for AA/US to achieve this). Even if you can't fulfill all requirements, the rewards can still be pretty big. 15% airfare discount can also be considered a form of rewards. Even though it won't work all the times, you may still get great value purchasing airfare. Rewards have always been a weak point of Amex Platinum and Prestige does exactly the opposite.

PainCorp Mar 24, 2014 12:37 am

Originally Posted by leonard016 (Post 22575422)
AA lounge access for the card member plus two guests for domestic coverage + Airport Angel for international travel. An authorized user gets lounge access also.

AU doesn't get AC access, only Primary card.

amolkold Mar 24, 2014 1:19 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 22576548)

Where in the T&C does it say that for the Prestige card? I'm looking at the AA site ... it's late, I might be missing something.

TheXMan Mar 24, 2014 1:19 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 22576548)

I wonder how they'll enforce this with prestige owners. I believe I read on a blog that the aa exe plat card has an AC logo on the back of the primary cardholder, but that logo is missing on AU. And that's how they verify if the card grants access or not. Since the prestige doesn't have that logo they won't be able to tell the difference between cardholder vs AU.

TheXMan Mar 24, 2014 1:22 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 22576631)
Where in the T&C does it say that for the Prestige card? I'm looking at the AA site ... it's late, I might be missing something.

Click on the link in the OP. And under "Membership type/ classification" pulldown menu. Citi prestige cardholder is an option.

amolkold Mar 24, 2014 1:30 am

Originally Posted by TheXMan (Post 22576639)
Click on the link in the OP. And under "Membership type/ classification" pulldown menu. Citi prestige cardholder is an option.

Okay ...

Citi Prestige Card holder 2 Guests or immediate family*
and

Citi Prestige Card holder must present a stand-by ticket or boarding pass (other than a non-revenue ticket or boarding pass for airline employee travel), showing an American, American Eagle Airlines, Inc., or an American Connection carrier flight number, valid for travel on such flight and departing within 12 hours of the Admirals Club visit (or, in the case of a visit at an arrival airport, with respect to such a flight that arrived no more than 12 hours prior to the visit.)
The word "primary" is only used for the Citi Executive AAdvantage card.

AA twitter says it's Primary cardholder, but they're not always 100% correct and can be confused by the T&C for the Citi Exec.

dw Mar 24, 2014 7:24 am

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been addressed yet this morning by any of the usual bloggers. Not sure if it's b/c they are waiting for more information from contacts they may have within AA or Citi, or if it's b/c the Prestige Card doesn't give referral commissions on applications.

themicah Mar 24, 2014 9:32 am

I assume Citi Prestige will also get us into the US clubs? Or are they considered "partner" lounges like QF and whatnot?

PainCorp Mar 24, 2014 10:25 am

Originally Posted by TheXMan (Post 22576634)
I wonder how they'll enforce this with prestige owners. I believe I read on a blog that the aa exe plat card has an AC logo on the back of the primary cardholder, but that logo is missing on AU. And that's how they verify if the card grants access or not. Since the prestige doesn't have that logo they won't be able to tell the difference between cardholder vs AU.

It's pretty easy to add a logo to the back of the card, then just ship new ones out.

Originally Posted by themicah (Post 22578306)
I assume Citi Prestige will also get us into the US clubs? Or are they considered "partner" lounges like QF and whatnot?

They are partner lounges. This is not a membership, it provides access. It basically gets you the same thing Amex Platinum got you, just only for the primary card holder.

anks329 Mar 24, 2014 11:24 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 22578629)
It's pretty easy to add a logo to the back of the card, then just ship new ones out.

I don't see Citi incurring the costs of issuing new plastic and shipping it out. Plus if you look at the back of the Prestige card, there isn't much space for another logo.

amolkold Mar 24, 2014 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 22577601)
I'm a little surprised this hasn't been addressed yet this morning by any of the usual bloggers. Not sure if it's b/c they are waiting for more information from contacts they may have within AA or Citi, or if it's b/c the Prestige Card doesn't give referral commissions on applications.

I wrote a post about it. I don't have an affiliate link.

dw Mar 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 22579545)
I wrote a post about it. I don't have an affiliate link.

Thank you for the post... you are the only one who has written about this so far today. I actually think this is a pretty big deal in the credit card world, as suddenly Citi has a card product that is encroaching on the Amex Plat's territory as far as benefits are concerned.

PainCorp Mar 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by anks329 (Post 22578989)
I don't see Citi incurring the costs of issuing new plastic and shipping it out. Plus if you look at the back of the Prestige card, there isn't much space for another logo.

You can move logos around and shift things or make them smaller. Think of it as playing with the fonts and margins when writing a paper in college. :p

anks329 Mar 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 22579619)
Thank you for the post... you are the only one who has written about this so far today. I actually think this is a pretty big deal in the credit card world, as suddenly Citi has a card product that is encroaching on the Amex Plat's territory as far as benefits are concerned.

Completely agree, this product has a very compelling value prop compared to the Amex Plat. One big "missing" benefit is transfer of TY point to partner programs. Hopefully, the increased partnership with AA will lead to that in the near future.

CVG_Kid Mar 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 22579719)
You can move logos around and shift things or make them smaller. Think of it as playing with the fonts and margins when writing a paper in college. :p

I think the logo is the lesser of the two options. I prefer the Amex Platinum model where it's the actual card that gains you entrance. Feels like waving a magic wand. Somehow more prestigious.

For this to work however it would have to encompass all cardholders including AU. It will be interesting to see what Citi does.