Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige : Admirals Club access benefit

Citi Prestige : Admirals Club access benefit

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 15, 16, 11:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
This benefit ends 6.20.2017.

Discuss HERE.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 18, 15, 7:01 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by hiima View Post
... can I fly AS and use the AC?
Not unless you purchase an AA ticket for a flight which happens to be operated by AS.

Only primary Citi Prestige® World EliteTM MasterCard® cardmembers who are 18 years of age or older and are traveling on American, American Eagle Airlines, Inc. or an American Connection carrier flight number may receive access privileges to the American Airlines Admirals Club® lounges. Authorized users of the Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard credit card are not entitled to Admirals Club access privileges. This benefit does not provide access privileges to US Airways clubs®, Arrivals Lounge, or Flagship® Lounge facilities, or other airline lounges or clubs with which American Airlines may have reciprocal lounge or club access privileges, including lounges operated by oneworld Alliance. To access the Admirals Club lounge, the primary cardmember must present (i) his or her open and valid Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard, (ii) his or her current government-issued I.D., (iii) a boarding pass or stand-by ticket, showing an American, American Eagle Airlines, Inc., or an American Connection carrier flight number, valid for travel on such flight and departing within 12 hours of the Admirals Club visit (or, in the case of a visit at an arrival airport, with respect to such a flight that arrived no more than 12 hours prior to the visit) and (iv) any additional required documentation. The primary cardmember may bring as guest(s) either immediate family (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18 years of age) or up to two traveling guests. All guests must remain with the cardmember during the club visit. All persons must be 21 years of age or older to consume alcohol. Cardmembers and guests must adhere to all house rules of participating clubs. Should the Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard account be closed for any reason, all Admirals Club benefits will be immediately cancelled, including access to all branded Admirals Club lounges. To locate a lounge please visit aa.com/admiralsclub. The rules and procedures applicable to American Airlines Admirals Clubs® and the Citi Prestige Card Terms and Conditions at citi.com/citiprestige will apply. Program benefit terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Additional restrictions may apply.
Old Aug 18, 15, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
That's technically correct, of course.

However, based on an informal statistical study conducted by me and a friend, boarding passes are asked for extremely infrequently. Usually, they just swipe the card and that's it.

Maybe they ask for BPs perhaps fewer times than one in twenty?

So you'll probably be just fine. Probably.
Old Aug 18, 15, 9:54 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by FallenPlat View Post
The best kind of correct.
Old Aug 18, 15, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by NDN View Post
The best kind of correct.
Don't quote me on regulation.
Old Aug 18, 15, 10:34 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

... Usually, they just swipe the card and that's it.
This is a training issue. They are mistaking Prestige for Executive. Eventually they will get it right.
Old Aug 18, 15, 11:29 am

However, based on an informal statistical study conducted by me and a friend, boarding passes are asked for extremely infrequently. Usually, they just swipe the card and that's it.
I think mia is right that this is mainly a training issue. But out of curiosity, how broad was your survey in terms of the airports covered? Because I suspect they're more likely to ask for a boarding pass at AC's that are easily accessible to passengers traveling other airlines.

For example, there's not much need to ask for a BP at the LGA AC, since non-AA pax aren't likely to even be on the concourse where the AC is located. But at an AC like DEN where there are a bunch of other airlines with gates near the AC, they might be more vigilant.
Old Aug 18, 15, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, CX MPC Silver
Anybody know if the reciprocal AS and AA lounge benefit includes Prestige? As in, can I fly AS and use the AC?
No, since the card only grants you access to the Admirals Club when flying AA/US.

Side note: You might be able to access some AS Board Rooms (such as the one in SEA) using the Priority Pass card that comes with your Prestige.
Old Aug 18, 15, 1:39 pm

On the "technically correct" issue, I had to laugh -- you wouldn't believe what I do for a living -- but how stuff shakes out in actual on-the-ground practice is still important. Even in "technical" areas such as T&Cs. In fact, I know a few people who make a lot of money paddling around in just those murky waters -- the brackish, muddy crud between theory and practice, the written terms and the practical application.

On the "training" point, I fear Mia is likely at least partially right. Our one "need a BP" data point was a training session at ORD where a supervisor was showing a staff person how to do the Prestige input thing. On the other hand, people just aren't going to demand BPs at places that are essentially wall-to-wall AA/US only enclaves . . . like ORD. I think. Maybe.

On the "which airports" question, it was basically LAX, DFW, PHL, BOS, CLT, ORD and a small smattering of others over the past three months or so. My friend's an EXP and did most of the flying.

Note that Spirit flies out of US's enclave in BOS, Gate 24 right next to the AC, for one random example of how even an enclave can have an interloper.
Old Aug 18, 15, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by travel_mav View Post
No, since the card only grants you access to the Admirals Club when flying AA/US.

Side note: You might be able to access some AS Board Rooms (such as the one in SEA) using the Priority Pass card that comes with your Prestige.
I can attest to this one, I fly AA and/or Alaska out of Seattle fairly frequently. I use the Priority Pass for the Board Room, but they don't take Prestige.
Old Aug 18, 15, 3:07 pm
mia

...how stuff shakes out in actual on-the-ground practice is still important.
The divergence between policy and practice makes Flyertalk worthwhile. Anyone can research the published rules. Nonetheless, I think it is essential to know those rules, because they will determine how we react as practice evolves.
Old Aug 18, 15, 3:16 pm

Anybody know if the reciprocal AS and AA lounge benefit includes Prestige? As in, can I fly AS and use the AC?
I think you can only get in using the Prestige card when flying AA. I remember reading somewhere in this thread that people were denied assess even when flying USAir.
Old Aug 18, 15, 9:42 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2MM, DL DM, UA PP <=> HH DM/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ CC G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by mia View Post
The divergence between policy and practice makes Flyertalk worthwhile. Anyone can research the published rules. Nonetheless, I think it is essential to know those rules, because they will determine how we react as practice evolves.
I am thinking of trying as an Authorized user of the Prestige card to see if lounge access works
Originally Posted by voodoogirl View Post
My AU tried in PHL this week and didn't get entry. Wasn't expecting to, but worth a shot. I doubt we'll keep that second card.
Anyone tried recently with data points?
Thanks in advance
Old Aug 19, 15, 9:58 am

Forget the authorized user trick.

They always swipe the card, which means the process is computer-driven.

The second card is good for Priority Pass entry, where that applies.
Old Aug 19, 15, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVP; Hilton Gold (Citi Card); Priority Pass (Citi Prestige); Nexus/Global Entry/TSA Pre

Maybe they ask for BPs perhaps fewer times than one in twenty?

So you'll probably be just fine. Probably.
What I have found is at AA/US hubs the BPs are not checked while at non-hub airports the BP is more likely to be checked. My two data points this year are PHL and STL. At PHL they did not ask for a BP while at STL they asked if I was flying AA. They would not let me in because I was flying AS.
Old Aug 19, 15, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by voodoogirl View Post
I can attest to this one, I fly AA and/or Alaska out of Seattle fairly frequently. I use the Priority Pass for the Board Room, but they don't take Prestige.
I have used priority pass for board room access. I actually keep it in my wallet now since I forgot it once before. If you call Citi and tell them you want to access a priority poss lounge but forgot it, they'll call up the lounge to let you in.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: