Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Really detailed Citi TY Points breakdown possible?

Old Mar 19, 14, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Maybe it's obvious and I'm missing it, but neither on the citicards.com site or the thankyou.com site can I get a detailed breakdown beyond just high-level base/bonus by category/merchant bonus/etc.

What I'd like to be able to see is how each line-item purchase is categorized, to understand what Citi is/isn't qualifying as a category bonus.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 19, 14, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is simply the information that Citi does not furnish.

AFIAK - Citi is rarely incorrect.

I would say, based on my experience, Citi is one of a few credit card company that deliver reward as promised, even AMEX does not do as well as Citi.
Old Mar 19, 14, 3:17 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by rudyr View Post
...like to be able to see is how each line-item purchase is categorized...
You can see this in the online listing of transactions. Click the + located to the left of any transaction to expand it. You will not be able to see how many points were awarded, but you should be able to identify which merchants are submitting their charges with unexpected categories. This is not controlled by Citi, nor directly by the merchant, but rather by their credit card acquirer, the firm which processes their charges.
Old Mar 19, 14, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
When I click on a transaction (just tried this), I see the following:

Transaction Type: 2
Post Date: 03/13/2014
Reference Number: [removed]
Person: [my name]
Merchant Category: EATING PLACE,RESTAURANT

Are you looking for something more detailed (e.g. what Chase has, telling you points earned for each specific transaction)?
Old Mar 19, 14, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber View Post
Merchant Category: EATING PLACE,RESTAURANT
This verbal description corresponds to MCC 5812.

Here's a list of common MCCs I've compiled. Usually CSRs can tell you which MCCs qualify for each spending category. MCCs are sometimes explicitly stated in the T&C, but not always.

Fast Food 5814 Fast Food Restaurants
Restaurants 5812 Eating Places, Restaurants; 5813 Drinking Places
Grocery 5411 Grocery Stores, Supermarkets; 5422 Freezer, Meat Lockers; 5441 Candy, Nut, Confection Stores; 5451 Dairy Product Stores; 5462 Bakeries; 5499 Misc Food Stores, Convenience Stores, Specialty Markets
Gas 5541 Service Stations, 5542 Automated Fuel Dispensers
Video & Music 5735 Record Stores
Old Mar 19, 14, 5:38 pm

Somewhat unrelated, but since people are touching on MCC codes...

Are these set by the credit card company or self reported by the company?

Reason I ask is that a restaurant I frequent has "Grocery" in the name, but sells literally no groceries... but coincidentally gets double points from my PRG. I was wondering if AmEx had made a screwup in categorization or if the merchant had reported it differently (don't know what benefits that would get them if any).
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:02 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by hamhead View Post
Are these set by the credit card company or self reported by the company?
Neither. As mentioned in post #3, they are set by the merchant's acquirer, the company which processes their card transactions.
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sexykitten7 View Post
This verbal description corresponds to MCC 5812.

Here's a list of common MCCs I've compiled. Usually CSRs can tell you which MCCs qualify for each spending category. MCCs are sometimes explicitly stated in the T&C, but not always.

Fast Food 5814 Fast Food Restaurants
Restaurants 5812 Eating Places, Restaurants; 5813 Drinking Places
Grocery 5411 Grocery Stores, Supermarkets; 5422 Freezer, Meat Lockers; 5441 Candy, Nut, Confection Stores; 5451 Dairy Product Stores; 5462 Bakeries; 5499 Misc Food Stores, Convenience Stores, Specialty Markets
Gas 5541 Service Stations, 5542 Automated Fuel Dispensers
Video & Music 5735 Record Stores
Thanks! Good to know - new restaurant just opened up that I quite like, but it shows up as Candy/Nut/Confectionary rather than restaurant (they sell a large variety of dried fruits as well). Guess I should be using Amex BCP on this instead of Citi Forward...
Old Mar 19, 14, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber View Post
Thanks! Good to know - new restaurant just opened up that I quite like, but it shows up as Candy/Nut/Confectionary rather than restaurant (they sell a large variety of dried fruits as well). Guess I should be using Amex BCP on this instead of Citi Forward...
Keep in mind that a store/restuarant can have different MCCs depending on the network it is processed over. For instance just because Visa classifies a particular store in a particular location as a grocery store, Mastercard may code it differently. I have found this to be true with multiple merchants especially with American Express versus Visa/Mastercard. However, it is more rare to see the MCC differ between Mastercard and Visa even though it does occur in some instances. As such, you should never assume that just because you earned bonus points for a particular merchant with your card over V's card network that it will be the same when you use A's card network.
Old Mar 20, 14, 8:31 am
mia

Originally Posted by Joe1690 View Post
Keep in mind that a store/restuarant can have different MCCs depending on the network it is processed over.
Likewise, different credit card issuers may group different MCC's into a promotional category. For example, not all issuers would include Candy/Nut/Confectionery or Bakeries in the Grocery/Supermarket category.
Old Mar 31, 14, 10:13 am
Original Member

I'm currently fighting with Citi over not receiving 5x bonus points for quite a few restuarants. They claim these are categorized as "drinking places" and don't qualify as restaurants, but that's nonsense because they are ordinary restaurants. When I click on the line item in "account activity" they show up as "restaurants - drinking places." I'm ready to give up on Thank You Points over this...I'm guessing it's a mistake rather than a scam, but it makes the promise of 5x points for restaurants worthless if half the restaurants don't count and you don't know in advance.

QL

Search this Thread
Search Engine: