FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Comprehensive Guide to the Citi ThankYou Rewards Program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1553189-comprehensive-guide-citi-thankyou-rewards-program.html)

roki Feb 19, 2014 12:14 am

Comprehensive Guide to the Citi ThankYou Rewards Program

This post has been converted to Wiki form, so more knowledgeable community members can adjust or update as changes come along.

roki Feb 19, 2014 12:16 am

This is, and will continue to be, a work in progress. I've found there to be a ton of confusion regarding this program, both from new and even some veteran users. The purpose of this thread is to help educate people on how to get the most value out of the program.

Hopefully this is helpful to the community. If you have any questions, see any errors, or have any recommendations, please PM me!

anks329 Feb 19, 2014 8:33 am

This is a useful calculator to help you figure out how many points you can earn based on your banking relationships: https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...D=TYCalculator

roki Feb 19, 2014 10:01 am

Originally Posted by anks329 (Post 22377064)
This is a useful calculator to help you figure out how many points you can earn based on your banking relationships: https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...D=TYCalculator

Thank you! Added to the post.

lakers6902 Feb 19, 2014 10:52 am

Comprehensive Guide to the Citi ThankYou Rewards Program

Great post, make this a sticky

happy9zz Feb 19, 2014 4:54 pm

How can I do a bill pay?

For:
-Auto Save: +50 points/mo
-Saving Account: +125 points/mo
How can I set up Auto Save or Saving Account?

roki Feb 19, 2014 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by happy9zz (Post 22380207)
How can I do a bill pay?

For:
-Auto Save: +50 points/mo
-Saving Account: +125 points/mo
How can I set up Auto Save or Saving Account?

If you have a Citi Checking account, you can have a linked savings account for free with no minimum requirement. You can either open one in branch or online. It's extremely easy in branch, and shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

For the Auto Save, you have to have the savings account set up and linked. Once that is, assuming you have your Citibank Online account set up, log in, and go to the Payments & Transfers tab at the top. On the left is "Transfer between linked accounts" > "Set up a Recurring Transfer". Set it up to transfer any amount from checking to savings, monthly, until cancelled. I do $10, but any amount works.

happy9zz Feb 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks!
Do you know how to do a bill pay?

islandguy84 Feb 19, 2014 6:00 pm

One useful point would be that points earned from banking at Citibank are NOT eligible to be transferred to someone else or to 3rd party programs like Hilton Hhonors.

They are eligible for the 1.33x or 1.25x multiplier on travel for the Prestige / Premier cards however.

You also do NOT need to be married to combine TY point accounts, just share the same address. I did this just last year.

dmitri Feb 20, 2014 9:26 am

Originally Posted by islandguy84 (Post 22380555)
You also do NOT need to be married to combine TY point accounts, just share the same address. I did this just last year.

Can you please elaborate on combining TY point accounts? Is it possible to have the cc/banking points of people living at the same address going to the same TYN account? I know cc points can be easily transferred (not necessarily between people at the same address), but I will be happy if it were possible to combine the banking points.

roki Feb 20, 2014 9:50 am

Originally Posted by dmitri (Post 22384220)
Can you please elaborate on combining TY point accounts? Is it possible to have the cc/banking points of people living at the same address going to the same TYN account? I know cc points can be easily transferred (not necessarily between people at the same address), but I will be happy if it were possible to combine the banking points.

Yes, it is. I have one ThankYou account that earns points from:

My Forward, Premier, and Prestige
My individual checking account
My fiance's joint checking account with me
My fiance's Forward

And let me tell you, I love watching that account grow. With just dining/amazon on the forwards + banking points, we pull in nearly 100K TY points a year.

edit: AFAIK, you can only combine the accounts of two people at the same address. But you can combine ALL accounts in their names. You can't have a "family pool" account, or something.

taxicabnumber Feb 20, 2014 11:56 am

Great post! You might also want to add that on the Prestige one possibly large benefit of an AU is that they get the 15% discount on airfare as well (in addition to their own companion ticket which I see you've already noted)

roki Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by happy9zz (Post 22380476)
Thanks!
Do you know how to do a bill pay?

Log into Online Banking, go to the "Payments & Transfers" tab. On the left side, do "Pay Bills" > "Set Up Recurring Payment" > "Add New Payee" -- From there you can do a CC (MUST BE NON-CITIBANK), Utility, or my personal favorite, "Pay an Individual"

Just add a name and address (spouse, yourself, family, friend, anyone), Acct # and Memo can be/should be left blank. Click Next, then Add the payee. For the recurring payment, select the account to debit (Checking), Amount (Any: $1+ -- I do $5), Frequency > Monthly, Until > Cancelled.

roki Feb 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by islandguy84 (Post 22380555)
One useful point would be that points earned from banking at Citibank are NOT eligible to be transferred to someone else or to 3rd party programs like Hilton Hhonors.

They are eligible for the 1.33x or 1.25x multiplier on travel for the Prestige / Premier cards however.

Added! Thanks

tjguitar85 Feb 21, 2014 8:13 pm

When did ACH stop working as DD for Citi accounts?