Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Executive AA MasterCard [October 2013 - September 2014]

Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
The thread was split on September 24, 2014 for technical reasons. This version of the Wikipost is frozen as of that date. Please click HERE to read the newer posts and the most current Wikipost.
-----------------------------------

For questions NOT related to the application process - such as experiences using benefits - refer to the AA forum thread on this card: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (Master Thread)

Recommended Application Procedure:
Clear cache and cookies prior to applying or use an incognito or private browsing session to apply. Opening multiple different apps in different windows or tabs or failing to clear cookies/cache has resulted in people receiving a lesser offer for some Citi cards. [B]We do not know, and Citi has not indicated, how long these offers will last. Citi has left other offers alive for over a year beyond the 'apply by' date in the past. These links could be here all year or gone tomorrow. If the application loads, it is good, based on past Citi applications that survived past the landing page expiration, regardless of any posted or advertised 'apply by' date.

MOST CURRENT LINKS:

As of 8/19/14, the 60K+ links are no longer working, and give the following error:
A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Please try again later.

[This link stopped working for a few days in July but seems to be working again] Many thanks to LM225 - Citi AA Executive Personal Mastercard, 100,000 miles after $10,000 spend in 3 months, Admirals Club access for cardholder and family or cardholder and two guests, up to $200 in statement credits. $450 annual fee, not waived. Landing page no longer loads as of 6/24.

The landing page asks for a first and last name but the application loads with or without the landing page. This is a CHIP and Signature card. If you go through the landing page, please use any referral code given to you by an AC rep.

For alternate 100K links, see Post #6084. https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3001

Many thanks to lobo411 - Citi AA Executive Personal Mastercard, 75,000 miles after $7500 spend in 3 months, Admirals Club access for cardholder and family or cardholder and two guests, up to $100 in statement credits. $450 annual fee, not waived. No landing page. This is a CHIP and Signature card. Bonus confirmed in posts 136 and 142. Still working: There is also a public version of this offer Citi AA Mastercard, 75,000 miles, Landing page available here. HT Belllaaa.

Many thanks to cerealmarketer - Citi AA Executive Personal Mastercard, 60,000 miles after $5k spend in 3 months, Admirals Club access for cardholder and family or cardholder and two guests. $450 annual fee, not waived. Landing page available here. This is a CHIP and Signature card. Landing page for 60K for $5K, with $100 statement credit and application.

Current 50K public offer: (Be carefull this link is showing as 30k in citi system, use other link for 50k) Landing page for 50K for $5K spending, no statement credit and application.

New 50k offer:
Landing page for New 50K for $5K spending, no statement credit - Application Link WARNING: This landing page contains the following in the Footnotes: "American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi Executive / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard opened or closed in the past 18 months." But the app link directly following it goes to a totally different app page, which is reported to be working as usual.

EXPEDITED SHIPPING
While reconsideration/application reps do not seem to be aware of this, these cards are expedited and usually arrive 1-2 days after approval.The CSR will not take a request to expedite the card.

Who is eligible for this card? Anyone as long as you can be approved for the minimum $5K credit line, subject to the standard Citi rules of 1 Citi app or card of any kind per 8 days and 2 Citi cards or apps of any kind per 65 days. It is always advisable to wait 65 days from any type of Citi denial before applying for another Citi card. Many have reported getting approved for this card in spite of having several open AA cards over the past year as well as having previously had this card.

Not sure about the 8 and 65 day rules? If your most recent application for any Citi card is less than click here - 8 days ago, you need to wait. Also, if your previous (second-to-last) Citi application is less than click here - 65 days ago, you need to wait. These are not rules published or known by Citi CSRs but rather based on thousands of Citi card applications and datapoints across several threads.

This card can be churned. Recent datapoints concerning multiple Executive cards include posts 917, 1059 and starting at 1365. For in-depth datapoints and advice on churning Citi cards, read and study the extensive wiki posts in the HH thread and the AA Plat/gold thread. Click the plus on the right hand side of the wiki if you do not see the wiki text. Datapoints for bonus points posting on multiple cards include post 2579.

Getting around the $450 annual fee: Some have been able to meet the spending requirement before the first statement posts and then cancel and have the fee refunded after the miles post. Details and datapoints include starting at post 74. T&C state that the card must be cancelled within 30 days of the fee posting to get it refunded. Potential problems with this plans include a very short (1 week or less) first "month" as well as delays in miles posting which have been reported by several FTers here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html. YMMV. If paying $250-$450 for a year's access to Admirals Clubs and the 60K-100K miles is a deal breaker, this card may not be for you.

Once you cancel the card (within the 37 day window of AF posting) the refund will post on the account between 1-3 business days.

Retention Bonus Offers: User have been offered the following retention bonus offers when calling to cancel the card:

- 5,000 points + $100 credit with $1,500 spend per month for 3 months 5333
- 2 additional club member passes 6862
- 1,000 bonus miles each month for 16 month, min $1k spend/month 6862

Already a member? If you already purchased an AC membership (for example, using the credit from Amex Plat) and apply and are approved for this card, AA will refund you the pro-rated AF from any time left on your membership.

When do miles post? Usually a few days after your statement closes. In some cases your statement will show the correct miles earned but will show 0 miles reported to AA. In this case see this thread.

Please post more experiences about cancelling to avoid the $450 fee

Helpful points from post #3794 and others, especially for those new to Citi:
1) Citi CSRs are clueless, so disregard everything they say that seems to contradict anything you have read on F/T. And take everything else with a big grain of salt. I was told 3 times VERY CLEARLY "You will not got your annual fee refunded" while I was cancelling, but I did get it.

2a) With Citi, if you are approved for a card, and meet the minimum spend requirement, you will get the bonus listed for the offer you applied for. Every time ! Unlike Chase or AMEX, who will send you a card, wait for you to pay the fee and spend, and then say "sorry, you don't qualify for a bonus". If Citi doesn't intend to give you the bonus, they will just deny your app. They won't even do a pull, they will just instantly deny your app. If they send you the card, and you meet the spend on time, you will get the bonus. My attorney insists I add "that could change tomorrow", but from the Big Bang thru today, that has always been true.

2b) Another helpful post discussing timeframe for meeting min spend: 6279

3) Any expectation that Citi will do things that make sense is just plain silly. They won't.

Citibank Contacts/Resources
  • Application status: https://www.accountonline.com/cards/...?screenID=3187
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.
  • Executive Office - useful for getting a more empowered agent for reconsideration purposes: CitiBank Executive Review Department, P.O. Box 6000, Sioux Falls, SD 57117
Admiral Club Access: You do not need to be flying AA that particular day of travel. (Ex: you're flying DL on the day of travel...you could still enter the AC lounge, even though you're not on an AA flight that day.) Beware, though, that individual lounges have individual rules (see the link below). Alternate rules usually come w/ Qantas lounges, not AA lounges. Furthermore, AC access "comes with" US Air access (19 locations). An authorized user does not have AC access unless they are with the primary card holder. The authorized user's card will have the "Admiral Club" language omitted from the back of their card.

For reference, an AC lounge list: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...#admirals-club
For questions and discussions on lounge access: Help Desk: Lounge Access and Lounge Access Rules

$200 Statement Credit on any purchase:

Multiple datapoints within this thread as well as multiple confirmations from CSRs say that the $200 statement credit is for any purchase.

Also, please note that these cards do not include the 10% miles rebate offered by some other Citi AA products.

What about the EQM? AA tracks your miles earned on Executive card(s) and adds 10K Elite Qualifying Miles to your EQM balance once you earn 40,000 miles during a calendar year on Executive card(s). Any number of Executive cards can add up to the 40K, and you cannot earn more than 10K EQM each year. No redeemable miles are added, and this is of no consequence or value unless you will also earn at least 15K additional EQM in a given year by flying and 10K will bump you up to the next status level.

Direct phone number to Citi Fraud Prevention department: +18664705331

Concierge service enrollment (allows for electronic requests). Concierge number is +18778812668

Here are the minimum credit limit required amounts in order to keep an account open (for purposes of new card applications and reconsiderations)
Citi Amex 1k (likely citi gold as well)
Citi Visa signature/world MasterCard 3k
Citi World elite Mastercards (including exec) 5k

Advice to those new to citi American Airlines cards,

If you are just starting out please apply and use the lower level citi AA card for a while before moving on to this thread and card. This will help you in the long run in more ways than one. Most of us here have opened and used lower level AA cards before moving on to this thread and card
Also,
Check out this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...ost-first.html
Print Wikipost

Citi Executive AA MasterCard [October 2013 - September 2014]

Old May 8, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
how do you find out when your first app is? I deleted all my emails and I can't figure out when I applied for it.
Look up your inquiries on your credit report - the date of the inquiry should be your application date.

Also, if you deleted emails in outlook express, see if your ISP provides an in browser email facility. With my ISP, I can go back 4 years.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by forextrader
Look up your inquiries on your credit report - the date of the inquiry should be your application date.

Also, if you deleted emails in outlook express, see if your ISP provides an in browser email facility. With my ISP, I can go back 4 years.
If you had to call in for approval you can check your phone records. Thats how I was able to find out my exact date of approval #2.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards
Opened card #1 4/21
Spent 10k
Statement closed 5/2
110,000 points posted to my AA account today, 5/8

I've paid off the balance on what I spend, now I have an open balance of $250. $450AF - $200 Credit.

If I close the card should I have a $200 credit to my account?

Thanks!
Old May 8, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DL, AA
I was just approved for the Citi AA Platinum 50k offer, with a CL of $5300. Does that mean I'll have a similar CL if I apply for the executive in a few days? That would make it a bit tougher to manage the 10k before the first statement.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
how do you find out when your first app is? I deleted all my emails and I can't figure out when I applied for it.
Just call the ph # on the back of the card. Ask the CSR what day you were approved. You don't need to explain why you want to know
Old May 8, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by bobby21
That's interesting. Does having a sizeable balance in savings with Citi/Chase help approvals? I never park more than 5k in checking/savings as they earn nothing.
I don't really know. I'm guessing yes. I've had some tough Recon calls lately, due to my absurd amount of inquiries, where the computer has denied me, and I have to sweet talk the CSR into overriding it. At that point, I always tell them "you can look it up, I have $xxx dollars in my saving act with your bank". Does that help get me approved? I'm not even sure they can look it up. I don't know for certain it helps get me approved, but it can't hurt.

My main bank is always trying to get me to put my savings into CDs, etc. Interest rates are so low that I really can't be bothered with that. Just one more thing to have to account for when doing my tax return, with very little profit. I'd rather chase miles and points than an extra .25 % of taxable interest.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:15 am

Successful data point on the annual fee refund:

Fee posted 4/4, but due to the issue linking the account with AA, the miles didn't post until yesterday (statement closed 5/6).

SM'd Citi to close the account and asked for the annual fee refund (34 days after it posted). They responded within an hour with the form response saying the AF would be refunded within two billing cycles.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mh1361
I was just approved for the Citi AA Platinum 50k offer, with a CL of $5300. Does that mean I'll have a similar CL if I apply for the executive in a few days? That would make it a bit tougher to manage the 10k before the first statement.
Reports are that Citi is giving higher CLs on the Exec than on the Plat. But if you do only get a $5K CL, that's not really a problem. Spend $5K right away, and quickly pay it off before the statement closes, then do another $5K in spend.

If you have a Citi checking acct, they may not let you pay it off from that acct until the statement closes. But you can either use WMBP, send an epayment from a checking account from different bank, or just call up the number on the back of the card and give them your checking acct info from a different bank.

I did $5K in OV the day I got my card. Two days later I paid it off with visits to 3 different WMs. Once those payments posted, I did another $5K OV, paid that off with WMBP, and was done with my min spnd in 10 days. One less thing to worry about.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:27 am

You refer to your spreadsheet that you have to track credit cards.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:22 am

Card 1:

I received this email on 2/28:

Thank you for applying for a Citi credit card. Your application for the Citi Executive℠ / AAdvantage World Elite™ MasterCard card was received on 02/28/2014.

We are currently processing your application and will be in touch within 1 week. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you.

and this on 3/4:

Citi Executive℠ / AAdvantage World Elite™ MasterCard card

Congratulations, you have been approved for a Citi Executive℠ / AAdvantage World Elite™ MasterCard card on 03-04-2014. Your welcome kit and card(s) will arrive in the mail within 2 weeks of the above date at the address you provided. Upon arrival, follow the instructions on the security sticker to confirm receipt and activate your card for immediate use.

Credit Report pulled on 2/28

My second card:

Thank you for applying for a Citi credit card. Your application for the Citi Executive℠ / AAdvantage World Elite™ MasterCard card was received on 03/31/2014.

Citi Executive℠ / AAdvantage World Elite™ MasterCard card

and this on 4/3:
Congratulations, you have been approved for a Citi Executive℠ / AAdvantage World Elite™ MasterCard card on 04-03-2014. Your welcome kit and card(s) will arrive in the mail within 2 weeks of the above date at the address you provided. Upon arrival, follow the instructions on the security sticker to confirm receipt and activate your card for immediate use.

Credit Report pulled on 3/31

I do not have the boxes or info it came with - My bad

so I am looking at 65 days from 3/4 to be safe, which I think is today. so am I good to go?
Old May 8, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Opened 1st card in Dec with 110k miles posting in Jan. Opened 2nd card in late March, 110k miles posted billing statement for April. Called and approved for 3rd card today, turned around and closed 2nd card via SM 10min later, refunding AF within 2 billing cycles. Will continue cycle until they say no more. Gotta love Citibank
Old May 8, 2014, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by kenme1
Opened 1st card in Dec with 110k miles posting in Jan. Opened 2nd card in late March, 110k miles posted billing statement for April. Called and approved for 3rd card today, turned around and closed 2nd card via SM 10min later, refunding AF within 2 billing cycles. Will continue cycle until they say no more. Gotta love Citibank
Did you call in to cancel and see if they would offer you a retention bonus? I plan on spending the 10k within the first week or two, getting the points after first statement closing, calling retention to see if there's a 5-10k bonus and then SM'ing to close account and get AF refunded. Or is that getting too greedy? haha
Old May 8, 2014, 10:35 am

Yes I am still amazed citi keeps giving me cards though I have more than 10 inquiries in the last 6 months.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by kingrat
so I am looking at 65 days from 3/4 to be safe, which I think is today. so am I good to go?
Not sure if you misspoke, but you should do 65 days from 2/28 to be safe.

Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Did you call in to cancel and see if they would offer you a retention bonus? I plan on spending the 10k within the first week or two, getting the points after first statement closing, calling retention to see if there's a 5-10k bonus and then SM'ing to close account and get AF refunded. Or is that getting too greedy? haha
You'll likely have to do $1.5k spending for the next 3 months to get those bonus points, so that won't work.

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; May 8, 2014 at 12:52 pm Reason: please trim long quotes
Old May 8, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
I did not even call and try, the points at $0.03 (5,000 for $150) was not worth it IMO. I did get $200 free though through the credit as other have done so it is all good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.