Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Executive AA MasterCard [October 2013 - September 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
The thread was split on September 24, 2014 for technical reasons. This version of the Wikipost is frozen as of that date. Please click HERE to read the newer posts and the most current Wikipost.
-----------------------------------

For questions NOT related to the application process - such as experiences using benefits - refer to the AA forum thread on this card: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (Master Thread)

Recommended Application Procedure:
Clear cache and cookies prior to applying or use an incognito or private browsing session to apply. Opening multiple different apps in different windows or tabs or failing to clear cookies/cache has resulted in people receiving a lesser offer for some Citi cards. [B]We do not know, and Citi has not indicated, how long these offers will last. Citi has left other offers alive for over a year beyond the 'apply by' date in the past. These links could be here all year or gone tomorrow. If the application loads, it is good, based on past Citi applications that survived past the landing page expiration, regardless of any posted or advertised 'apply by' date.

MOST CURRENT LINKS:

As of 8/19/14, the 60K+ links are no longer working, and give the following error:
A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Please try again later.

[This link stopped working for a few days in July but seems to be working again] Many thanks to LM225 - Citi AA Executive Personal Mastercard, 100,000 miles after $10,000 spend in 3 months, Admirals Club access for cardholder and family or cardholder and two guests, up to $200 in statement credits. $450 annual fee, not waived. Landing page no longer loads as of 6/24.

The landing page asks for a first and last name but the application loads with or without the landing page. This is a CHIP and Signature card. If you go through the landing page, please use any referral code given to you by an AC rep.

For alternate 100K links, see Post #6084. https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3001

Many thanks to lobo411 - Citi AA Executive Personal Mastercard, 75,000 miles after $7500 spend in 3 months, Admirals Club access for cardholder and family or cardholder and two guests, up to $100 in statement credits. $450 annual fee, not waived. No landing page. This is a CHIP and Signature card. Bonus confirmed in posts 136 and 142. Still working: There is also a public version of this offer Citi AA Mastercard, 75,000 miles, Landing page available here. HT Belllaaa.

Many thanks to cerealmarketer - Citi AA Executive Personal Mastercard, 60,000 miles after $5k spend in 3 months, Admirals Club access for cardholder and family or cardholder and two guests. $450 annual fee, not waived. Landing page available here. This is a CHIP and Signature card. Landing page for 60K for $5K, with $100 statement credit and application.

Current 50K public offer: (Be carefull this link is showing as 30k in citi system, use other link for 50k) Landing page for 50K for $5K spending, no statement credit and application.

New 50k offer:
Landing page for New 50K for $5K spending, no statement credit - Application Link WARNING: This landing page contains the following in the Footnotes: "American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi Executive® / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® opened or closed in the past 18 months." But the app link directly following it goes to a totally different app page, which is reported to be working as usual.

EXPEDITED SHIPPING
While reconsideration/application reps do not seem to be aware of this, these cards are expedited and usually arrive 1-2 days after approval.The CSR will not take a request to expedite the card.

Who is eligible for this card? Anyone as long as you can be approved for the minimum $5K credit line, subject to the standard Citi rules of 1 Citi app or card of any kind per 8 days and 2 Citi cards or apps of any kind per 65 days. It is always advisable to wait 65 days from any type of Citi denial before applying for another Citi card. Many have reported getting approved for this card in spite of having several open AA cards over the past year as well as having previously had this card.

Not sure about the 8 and 65 day rules? If your most recent application for any Citi card is less than click here - 8 days ago, you need to wait. Also, if your previous (second-to-last) Citi application is less than click here - 65 days ago, you need to wait. These are not rules published or known by Citi CSRs but rather based on thousands of Citi card applications and datapoints across several threads.

This card can be churned. Recent datapoints concerning multiple Executive cards include posts 917, 1059 and starting at 1365. For in-depth datapoints and advice on churning Citi cards, read and study the extensive wiki posts in the HH thread and the AA Plat/gold thread. Click the plus on the right hand side of the wiki if you do not see the wiki text. Datapoints for bonus points posting on multiple cards include post 2579.

Getting around the $450 annual fee: Some have been able to meet the spending requirement before the first statement posts and then cancel and have the fee refunded after the miles post. Details and datapoints include starting at post 74. T&C state that the card must be cancelled within 30 days of the fee posting to get it refunded. Potential problems with this plans include a very short (1 week or less) first "month" as well as delays in miles posting which have been reported by several FTers here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html. YMMV. If paying $250-$450 for a year's access to Admirals Clubs and the 60K-100K miles is a deal breaker, this card may not be for you.

Once you cancel the card (within the 37 day window of AF posting) the refund will post on the account between 1-3 business days.

Retention Bonus Offers: User have been offered the following retention bonus offers when calling to cancel the card:

- 5,000 points + $100 credit with $1,500 spend per month for 3 months 5333
- 2 additional club member passes 6862
- 1,000 bonus miles each month for 16 month, min $1k spend/month 6862

Already a member? If you already purchased an AC membership (for example, using the credit from Amex Plat) and apply and are approved for this card, AA will refund you the pro-rated AF from any time left on your membership.

When do miles post? Usually a few days after your statement closes. In some cases your statement will show the correct miles earned but will show 0 miles reported to AA. In this case see this thread.

Please post more experiences about cancelling to avoid the $450 fee

Helpful points from post #3794 and others, especially for those new to Citi:
1) Citi CSRs are clueless, so disregard everything they say that seems to contradict anything you have read on F/T. And take everything else with a big grain of salt. I was told 3 times VERY CLEARLY "You will not got your annual fee refunded" while I was cancelling, but I did get it.

2a) With Citi, if you are approved for a card, and meet the minimum spend requirement, you will get the bonus listed for the offer you applied for. Every time ! Unlike Chase or AMEX, who will send you a card, wait for you to pay the fee and spend, and then say "sorry, you don't qualify for a bonus". If Citi doesn't intend to give you the bonus, they will just deny your app. They won't even do a pull, they will just instantly deny your app. If they send you the card, and you meet the spend on time, you will get the bonus. My attorney insists I add "that could change tomorrow", but from the Big Bang thru today, that has always been true.

2b) Another helpful post discussing timeframe for meeting min spend: 6279

3) Any expectation that Citi will do things that make sense is just plain silly. They won't.

Citibank Contacts/Resources
  • Application status: https://www.accountonline.com/cards/...?screenID=3187
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.
  • Executive Office - useful for getting a more empowered agent for reconsideration purposes: CitiBank Executive Review Department, P.O. Box 6000, Sioux Falls, SD 57117
Admiral Club Access: You do not need to be flying AA that particular day of travel. (Ex: you're flying DL on the day of travel...you could still enter the AC lounge, even though you're not on an AA flight that day.) Beware, though, that individual lounges have individual rules (see the link below). Alternate rules usually come w/ Qantas lounges, not AA lounges. Furthermore, AC access "comes with" US Air access (19 locations). An authorized user does not have AC access unless they are with the primary card holder. The authorized user's card will have the "Admiral Club" language omitted from the back of their card.

For reference, an AC lounge list: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...#admirals-club
For questions and discussions on lounge access: Help Desk: Lounge Access and Lounge Access Rules

$200 Statement Credit on any purchase:

Multiple datapoints within this thread as well as multiple confirmations from CSRs say that the $200 statement credit is for any purchase.

Also, please note that these cards do not include the 10% miles rebate offered by some other Citi AA products.

What about the EQM? AA tracks your miles earned on Executive card(s) and adds 10K Elite Qualifying Miles to your EQM balance once you earn 40,000 miles during a calendar year on Executive card(s). Any number of Executive cards can add up to the 40K, and you cannot earn more than 10K EQM each year. No redeemable miles are added, and this is of no consequence or value unless you will also earn at least 15K additional EQM in a given year by flying and 10K will bump you up to the next status level.

Direct phone number to Citi Fraud Prevention department: +18664705331

Concierge service enrollment (allows for electronic requests). Concierge number is +18778812668

Here are the minimum credit limit required amounts in order to keep an account open (for purposes of new card applications and reconsiderations)
Citi Amex 1k (likely citi gold as well)
Citi Visa signature/world MasterCard 3k
Citi World elite Mastercards (including exec) 5k

Advice to those new to citi American Airlines cards,

If you are just starting out please apply and use the lower level citi AA card for a while before moving on to this thread and card. This will help you in the long run in more ways than one. Most of us here have opened and used lower level AA cards before moving on to this thread and card
Also,
Check out this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...ost-first.html
Print Wikipost

Citi Executive AA MasterCard [October 2013 - September 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:19 am

Hi Everyone! I tried to cancel AA Exec early this morning (day 30) via SM. I received an email stating it was referred to the appropriate dept and it might take up to 72 hours for a response. I checked my online acct several times and noticed the message was read about four afters after I sent it. It has been two hours since it was read and I still haven't received a response either online or via email. Does it take that long for them to cancel the card after they read the SM? Do you think I should wait for a response or followup with a phone call? I don't like it being in limbo. Thank you!!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Flygirl98
Hi Everyone! I tried to cancel AA Exec early this morning (day 30) via SM. I received an email stating it was referred to the appropriate dept and it might take up to 72 hours for a response. I checked my online acct several times and noticed the message was read about four afters after I sent it. It has been two hours since it was read and I still haven't received a response either online or via email. Does it take that long for them to cancel the card after they read the SM? Do you think I should wait for a response or followup with a phone call? I don't like it being in limbo. Thank you!!
In my experience it varies. I sent a request via SM yesturday morning, got the usual "we have forwarded your request to the appropriate department" a few hours later. I did not receive a response until this Morning confirming the cancellation. Looks like they are currently at around a 24hr turn time.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
According to multiple data points on this thread, you actually have 37 days to complete this, so I'd give it some more time. Besides you sent your message in time for the 30 days anyway. I don't think the time Citi takes to process it really matters. They'll get it processed soon.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:43 am

You will likely get a cancel email within 24 hours and a credit of the annual fee within 72 hours.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:54 am

Thanks Everyone for your super quick responses!! Love Flyertalk -- you guys (and girls) are the best!!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:54 am
Suspended

For my 2nd card, my 2nd statement just closed and the miles hit my AA account a few days later.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:09 pm

I found that it's tough to get the AF refunded after 30 days via SM.. I had back and forth with them and they would still insist its 30 days. Finally I gave up on SM and called them on 37th day . No problems over the phone..
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx
Citi has been known for shutting down people's accounts due to abuse (Citi TY points, anyone?).

Are $250 for the risk?
Yes, and abuse will get you shut down. But canceling is not abuse, it is well within the T/C for this card. It states right there that you can cancel within 30 days of the fee posting for a refund. Not to mention that there are multiple data points of people canceling their card, and then being approved for another one. Which Citi would surely not do if they considered the previous cancelation to be abuse.

Even if the card is canceled without paying the fee, there has still been $10k or more spent on it. Which is probably more than many people spend on other cards over an entire year.

With only a few people canceling, and everyone spending $10K or more, Citi is probably doing very well with this card.

I suppose I should also mention that I didn't in any way encourage anyone to cancel. The question the OP asked was "what are people on this thread doing", and I responded that some are canceling, and most are not. Which is simply true.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Quote:

Citi has been known for shutting down people's accounts due to abuse (Citi TY points, anyone?).

Are $250 for the risk?

Yes, and abuse will get you shut down. But canceling is not abuse, it is well within the T/C for this card. It states right there that you can cancel within 30 days of the fee posting for a refund. Not to mention that there are multiple data points of people canceling their card, and then being approved for another one. Which Citi would surely not do if they considered the previous cancelation to be abuse.

Even if the card is canceled without paying the fee, there has still been $10k or more spent on it. Which is probably more than many people spend on other cards over an entire year.

With only a few people canceling, and everyone spending $10K or more, Citi is probably doing very well with this card.

I suppose I should also mention that I didn't in any way encourage anyone to cancel. The question the OP asked was "what are people on this thread doing", and I responded that some are canceling, and most are not. Which is simply true.
Could the work with AA to revoke your miles?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:30 pm

Could the work with AA to revoke your miles?
NO

The only time I have ever heard of AA revoking miles is when someone is caught selling miles, or cases of outright fraud. As I said, canceling is part of the T/C. It is not fraud, and it is within the T/C as Citi itself wrote the offer.

Post on and on about this all you want, I'm through with this topic.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Could the{y} work with AA to revoke your miles?
Over years of many people churning, canceling cards and earning millions of miles (not to mention lifetime status) the only time there have been any type of clawbacks or shutdowns is when people have returned items, thereby not meeting the purchase requirement, and when people have screwed with AA by booking and cancelling high value tickets in what appears to be an effort to release certain seats or fare classes.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:38 pm

Just another data point:

Citi AA#1: 3/15, min. spend hit 4/1
Citi AA#2: 3/28, min. spend just hit (just after first statement posted)
Miles Posted AA#1: 4/12 (4/10 statement date)
Canceled AA#1 4/21 via SM, AF refunded 4/24 (didn't even need to ask!)

Working on my wife's first AA card right now; will go for a third once the 65 is up. I plan on keeping one card for me, one for the wife.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:54 pm

Talking Question on Transfer of Credit lines before cancelling AA executive cards

Just wanted to know if it is better to transfer credit lines to other cards before cancelling the AA exec card #1. I got card# 3 now.

Data point:

Citi AA exec card #1 02/15
Citi AA exec card #2 03/08
Citi AA exec card #1 04/23

All 3 required me to call recon and was given $5000 credit line on each and a option to transfer credit lines from other citi cards.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:58 pm

Applied for 2nd Citi Executive - got application received message

I just applied for the 2nd Citi Executive. Won't be able to meet the spend until early July, but remember all too well how quickly the Citi AA Platinum churning abruptly ended on a Sunday afternoon August 25th.

Did receive the:
"We have received your application and further processing is required at this time. We will contact you within a week via email regarding our decision. Thank you for requesting a Citi Executive® / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard®."

Followed the instructions in this post: #643

Calling 1 800 695 5171 got me the standard "wait one week" response, but calling 1 866 606 2787 got me an agent who asked a couple of questions and then approved the card within a minute or so.

It took about 15 minutes online with the rep. Was initially offered the 5K credit limit, but she offered to take credit from 1 other card. I brought that card way down, and got the credit on the new card to 17K. I asked to confirm the bonus offer, and there were no issues.

They are just making this way too easy. But I recommend you get in now while it is possible. These churning runs don't always last, and they can be abruptly pulled without warning. It's just a switch in the application approval software. Ignore the T&C as far as churning, it's just determined based on YMMV rules.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Brugge

Abuse is anything the CC issuer says it is. Even if within T&C's they can still close all your acct's for abuse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.