Citi Prestige vs Amex Platinum

Old Jul 20, 13, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First

So I've finally decided that one high annual-fee card might be worth it to me, but I'm having trouble deciding whether I should get a Citi Prestige or Amex Platinum, since they both have some benefits that I want.

They both have:
- $200 airline credit reimbursement that effectively reduces AF
- $100 GE credit that effectively reduces AF for year 1
- EVM, no FTF.
- Standard travel insurance benefits: trip cancellation/insurance, auto insurance, etc.
- Purchase Protection

And they are different in key ways, Amex Platinum has:
- Priority Pass Select
- AA/DL/US Lounge access with guest when flying AA/DL/US
- MR program
- Int'l companion Biz/F ticket
- SPG Gold
- Fine Hotels & Resorts Program

And Citi Prestige has:
- Airport Angel
- 15% airfare off via Spirit Incentives
- Int'l companion coach ticket
- Trip Delay Insurance (6 hours)
- Baggage Delay Insurance (4 hours)
- TY program
- Citi Relationship Bonus
- Mastercard World Elite Hotels & Resorts

Is there anything big I'm missing from this summary? In particular, does Amex Plat have Delay coverage (I couldn't find anything about it on their website).

The only benefit that really interests me from the Amex is lounge access, since Airport Angel seems completely useless in the US... but the Citi card seems like it has more useful other benefits (does anyone have experience with Citi's delay insurance?)

Last edited by no2chem; Jul 20, 13 at 7:41 pm
Old Jul 20, 13, 6:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold

Depends what you're looking for, but I personally have the Amex Platinum and I HIGHLY recommend it. Lounge access is useful and SPG gold helps to ensure that I don't get stuck in that 'tiny room next to a noisy maintenance room'. Priority Pass is nice to have as well. All this and you can't beat Amex customer service IMHO.

Good luck!
Old Jul 20, 13, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by no2chem View Post
- Standard travel insurance benefits: trip cancellation/insurance, auto insurance, etc.
- Purchase Protection

- Trip Delay Insurance (6 hours)
- Baggage Delay Insurance (4 hours)
Did you check T&C of Citi's in detail?
I haven't used any insurance/protection by any CC but I don't expect it from any CC other than Amex.
Old Jul 20, 13, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by mgarrett96 View Post
All this and you can't beat Amex customer service IMHO.
This is the reason I got the Amex in the first place without even looking at what Citi offers. I may be one of the rare people to say this, but i didn't get the Plat for the lounges, i got it for the travel insurance and concierge. Sure the i love the lounges, SPG Gold, and the perks, but the main reason for the card was because I know i can count on Amex if I call them for concierge services, big purchase protection, losing things on the plane, or even roadside assistance. Everytime I needed something, it's almost as if they don't even question me and just do what i need/ask. Goodness, i sound like i work for their PR firm or something

Sure Citi & Chase comes with those insurances too, but I can almost bet it won't beat Amex's (if we had a poll or something).
Old Jul 20, 13, 7:11 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
One other major benefit:

Amex Plat:
Fine Hotels & Resorts Program, online booking with rates and benefits clearly explained

Citi Prestige:
Mastercard World Elite Hotels & Resorts, must call to find rates and benefits

Two "Fourth Night" free certificates for use at properties in the World Elite Hotels & Resorts portfolio every year.
Old Jul 20, 13, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by supergrandslam View Post
Did you check T&C of Citi's in detail?
I haven't used any insurance/protection by any CC but I don't expect it from any CC other than Amex.
Yeah, the thing is, I can't find any detailed T&Cs, even though the benefits are listed on the Citi Prestige site. It would be nice if anyone with a Prestige with experience with the delay insurance could chime in.

For those of you with Amex, I am right that the Plat doesn't provide Delay insurance, right?

I don't know if the hotel benefit is really worth anything to me, as most of my leisure travel is booked on points anyway. But I'll add it to the list. I already have a WE MC, so the Mastercard World Elite Hotels & Resorts doesn't add anything for me. And last I checked, it didn't seem that great anyway... since I'd rather get points if I'm paying for a hotel...

Maybe I should get both cards! ... But ~$800 in AF definitely doesn't seem like a good idea

Last edited by no2chem; Jul 20, 13 at 7:47 pm
Old Jul 20, 13, 8:06 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
I have both - AMEX Platinum since 2003 and Prestige since April of this year, so my joint experience isn't long. However, I actually find the two complement each other pretty well. 1) AMEX makes me choose an airline for reimbursement while Citi doesn't; 2) Since they each have GE refund, I applied for me and my wife; and 3) Citi's hotels aren't necessarily included in AMEX's FHR program so I have two sets of hotels to choose from.

However, to answer your question, if push comes to shove, I would choose AMEX - with any purchase or travel reservation (I've only used the Citi card when it resulted in savings, not for everyday bookings), I trust AMEX wholeheartedly, and I feel more comfortable using them.

Also, out of curiosity, you mentioned that using the Citi card to book WE hotels doesn't result in earning points? Does this mean if I book a WE rate at a Hyatt, I won't receive Gold Passport points?
Old Jul 20, 13, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaroPalms View Post
I have both - AMEX Platinum since 2003 and Prestige since April of this year, so my joint experience isn't long. However, I actually find the two complement each other pretty well. 1) AMEX makes me choose an airline for reimbursement while Citi doesn't; 2) Since they each have GE refund, I applied for me and my wife; and 3) Citi's hotels aren't necessarily included in AMEX's FHR program so I have two sets of hotels to choose from.

However, to answer your question, if push comes to shove, I would choose AMEX - with any purchase or travel reservation (I've only used the Citi card when it resulted in savings, not for everyday bookings), I trust AMEX wholeheartedly, and I feel more comfortable using them.

Also, out of curiosity, you mentioned that using the Citi card to book WE hotels doesn't result in earning points? Does this mean if I book a WE rate at a Hyatt, I won't receive Gold Passport points?
I don't know for sure, but usually when you make a reservation with a 3rd party (like Expedia), you don't get the hotel points unless you book with the hotel group. Might not be the case with some hotel chains, but it is the case, for instance, with IHG.

Do you have access to the delay insurance docs, by chance?

I'm currently thinking that I should just do prestige for now, since 30k TYP seems like a fixed deal, and wait until I stumble upon a 75/100k MR offer for the plat.
Old Jul 20, 13, 9:26 pm

For those of you with Amex, I am right that the Plat doesn't provide Delay insurance, right?
Yes all Amex cards have the Travel Delay Protection. However you have to enroll in the protection plan, which at the time I think it was $9.95 per trip. Totally worth it. I always purchase big intl trips with the Amex (with the delay plan), and leave short hauls to my other 2x/3x earning cards.

However, a quick google search just now has lead me to this: https://www295.americanexpress.com/f...lay/product.do

Apparently they don't have it anymore? Instead, now you have to purchase it through this?: https://www295.americanexpress.com/t...etiSource=AETI

Which I see it costs $14 for the lowest tier (called Global Trip Delay). Not sure if it's a one-time enrollment, or do you need to purchase each time. Interesting...I need to do some reading around. I wonder how that affects my old plan. Anyone know?

Last edited by SuperKirby; Jul 20, 13 at 9:34 pm
Old Jul 20, 13, 9:43 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
I don't know for sure, but usually when you make a reservation with a 3rd party (like Expedia), you don't get the hotel points unless you book with the hotel group. Might not be the case with some hotel chains, but it is the case, for instance, with IHG.

Do you have access to the delay insurance docs, by chance?

I'm currently thinking that I should just do prestige for now, since 30k TYP seems like a fixed deal, and wait until I stumble upon a 75/100k MR offer for the plat.
With Expedia, Orbitz, and Hotwire you are correct. However, when I've booked through AMEX, I've always received the points since they are acting as a travel agent that books directly with the hotel.

I also have trip delay and baggage delay with AMEX and it costs me $9.95 for each piece of coverage for each trip as it was previously mentioned. This is on top of their basic coverage, and I value AMEX's coverage over others (even if it may be more money).
Old Jul 20, 13, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by CaroPalms View Post
I also have trip delay and baggage delay with AMEX and it costs me $9.95 for each piece of coverage for each trip as it was previously mentioned. This is on top of their basic coverage, and I value AMEX's coverage over others (even if it may be more money).
+1. As mentioned above, how does this affect our old-time 9.95 fee enrollment? Do we need to enroll in that new website now?
Old Jul 21, 13, 11:56 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mgarrett96 View Post
All this and you can't beat Amex customer service IMHO.
I actually think this is one place where Amex has faltered-- and I'm referring only to day to day customer service, not the people who handle various claims like purchase protection (which I believe is still likely better than what you would get from a Visa or MC card).

I've found the Citi Prestige customer service to be very, very good, much better than what I've experienced lately from Amex. I've also found the Citi Prestige concierge (provided by Ten Lifestyle) to be better than the Amex Plat concierge, which frankly I think has devolved into an oftentimes unhelpful/incompetent service.
Old Jul 21, 13, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by dw View Post
I actually think this is one place where Amex has faltered-- and I'm referring only to day to day customer service, not the people who handle various claims like purchase protection (which I believe is still likely better than what you would get from a Visa or MC card).

I've found the Citi Prestige customer service to be very, very good, much better than what I've experienced lately from Amex. I've also found the Citi Prestige concierge (provided by Ten Lifestyle) to be better than the Amex Plat concierge, which frankly I think has devolved into an oftentimes unhelpful/incompetent service.
thanks for the info. Do you still have both cards right now? (Plat & Prestige)
Old Jul 21, 13, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Hi SuperKirky,
Thanks for pointing that out.
I noticed that too.
I think anyone enrolled before the new a la carte product was introduced was grandfathered into the automatic $9.95 program.
I just got something with my statement explaining my AutoTravel Delay T&C's recently so it looks like they are probably not taking new enrollments.
But I seem to remember our old plans were not as generous as these new ones.(which cost more)

Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
Yes all Amex cards have the Travel Delay Protection. However you have to enroll in the protection plan, which at the time I think it was $9.95 per trip. Totally worth it. I always purchase big intl trips with the Amex (with the delay plan), and leave short hauls to my other 2x/3x earning cards.

However, a quick google search just now has lead me to this: https://www295.americanexpress.com/f...lay/product.do

Apparently they don't have it anymore? Instead, now you have to purchase it through this?: https://www295.americanexpress.com/t...etiSource=AETI

Which I see it costs $14 for the lowest tier (called Global Trip Delay). Not sure if it's a one-time enrollment, or do you need to purchase each time. Interesting...I need to do some reading around. I wonder how that affects my old plan. Anyone know?

Old Jul 21, 13, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by mrkymark View Post
Hi SuperKirky,
Thanks for pointing that out.
I noticed that too.
I think anyone enrolled before the new a la carte product was introduced was grandfathered into the automatic $9.95 program.
I just got something with my statement explaining my AutoTravel Delay T&C's recently so it looks like they are probably not taking new enrollments.
But I seem to remember our old plans were not as generous as these new ones.(which cost more)
Thanks for the info. Do you have a copy of the T&Cs I can see? PM if needed...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: