Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Prestige vs Amex Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jft3
The point of doing the PRG + Plat pair is to earn at 3-4x MR points on airfare while maintaining good benefits. The Plat + Prestige would mean you earn 3x TYP, but TYPs are worth staggeringly less due to the lack of good transfer partners here in the US (or for flights redeemable in the US). And on hotels, the same story exists. You can transfer only to Hilton at 1:1.5, and annihilate your points value. I don't see how you can continue to judge them as being on par for points.
I think that the value here depends which airline you fly with. The airline's co-branded CC may give you more value than the PRG.

For example, I fly VX a lot. If I use their premium CC I get 3x elevate pts and no change fees on that flight. It takes 6 MR pts to convert to 3 elevate pts, and the lack of change fees is a nice perk too. Plus I get 5k status pts for every $10k I spend on the card. So even though I have a PRG, it makes no sense for me to use it for VX flights.

Also, booking through Amex travel incurs a fee. It's a small fee, but it's worth pointing out that that 4th pt per $ is not free. For a very cheap flight it might not be worth it.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that the value here depends which airline you fly with. The airline's co-branded CC may give you more value than the PRG.

For example, I fly VX a lot. If I use their premium CC I get 3x elevate pts and no change fees on that flight. It takes 6 MR pts to convert to 3 elevate pts, and the lack of change fees is a nice perk too. Plus I get 5k status pts for every $10k I spend on the card. So even though I have a PRG, it makes no sense for me to use it for VX flights.

Also, booking through Amex travel incurs a fee. It's a small fee, but it's worth pointing out that that 4th pt per $ is not free. For a very cheap flight it might not be worth it.
For once I sort of agree with you ,as it is almost the same scenario as AMEX MR and their SPG card... One could argue that the SPG card is the most valuable amex card, and yet in order to collect SPG points one to one you have to use SPG amex (all other options have horrible transfer ratios) Same can be said for Citi and AA or BOFA and virgin
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
... BOFA and virgin
Bank of America is not the issuer of the Virgin America affinity card. The Virgin America Visa Signature Credit Cards are issued by Comenity Capital Bank.

Bank of America is the issuer of the Virgin Atlantic MasterCard. Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles can also be earned through American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Diners Club Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest. Flying Club miles can be redeemed for flights operated by Virgin America:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en...n-america.html

It's difficult to compare the Virgin Atlantic and Virgin America programs because Virgin America redemptions are based on price, while Virgin Atlantic redemptions are based on route.

SFO-LAS-SFO on VX using VS miles would be:
12,500 economy
15,000 select
25,000 first
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mia
Bank of America is not the issuer of the Virgin America affinity card. The Virgin America Visa Signature Credit Cards are issued by Comenity Capital Bank.

thanks for the clarification
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
And as a small reminder for some of you, all the Citi branches in AA's home state of Texas are closing next quarter -- likely in March according to what I'm hearing.
What/why? And sources please
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Reasons to have Amex Plat over Citi Prestige:

-SPG Gold
-Free shoprunner membership which will give you free delivery on Domino's pizza.
-Looks Cool
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme

-SPG Gold
-Free shoprunner membership which will give you free delivery on Domino's pizza.
-Looks Cool
SPG Gold has its value, but is very YMMV depending on where you stay with hotels.

ShopRunner comes with any US-based Amex card, so it's definitely not a specific reason to get the Platinum, IMO. I've found the benefit to be hit-or-miss; some places who offer ShopRunner shipping don't offer it on all items.

The look of the card is debatable. To me, the Amex Plat is very boring and generic looking. However, it's a classic. The new Prestige redesign looks pretty cool but feels very cheap. This is really a wash.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme

-SPG Gold
-Looks Cool
The card definitely looks cool. I think it's the one of the best looking cards out there.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Posts discussing reduced Prestige annual fee with an in-branch offer for Citigold account holders, and closure of all Citibank branches in Texas have been moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...0-18-14-a.html

Please keep the current thread focused on the comparison with American Express Platinum.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
The other day, I got a flat tire on the highway. When I looked in the trunk, I realized the jack was at my parent's house from the last time I got a flat (because I'm super intelligent). I called AMEX roadside assistance and someone was there within a half hour and it was no charge. I called AMEX because that's my instinct to call them first, but when I got home, I called my other cards to compare.

Ritz Visa: Provides up to $50 for 4 occurrences each year (with AMEX, certain services like changing a tire are complimentary), but you have to be more than 50 miles away from home (with AMEX, you can be in your driveway).

Citi Prestige: The rep wasn't sure of the details of their roadside assistance, but directed me to a website that stated services are not complimentary and you have to be more than 100 miles away from home. I have to think there's more to this benefit than that. However, I couldn't find it.

Although not a deal breaker, another plus one for AMEX Plat.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:00 pm

Citi Prestige Roadside Assistance

Originally Posted by CaroPalms
The other day, I got a flat tire on the highway. When I looked in the trunk, I realized the jack was at my parent's house from the last time I got a flat (because I'm super intelligent). I called AMEX roadside assistance and someone was there within a half hour and it was no charge. I called AMEX because that's my instinct to call them first, but when I got home, I called my other cards to compare.

Ritz Visa: Provides up to $50 for 4 occurrences each year (with AMEX, certain services like changing a tire are complimentary), but you have to be more than 50 miles away from home (with AMEX, you can be in your driveway).

Citi Prestige: The rep wasn't sure of the details of their roadside assistance, but directed me to a website that stated services are not complimentary and you have to be more than 100 miles away from home. I have to think there's more to this benefit than that. However, I couldn't find it.

Although not a deal breaker, another plus one for AMEX Plat.
I remember when I received the updated benefits guide in November 2014 there was a shift away from the MasterCard referral roadside assistance where the cardholder paid for service to this simple explanation instead:

> WHAT’S COVERED
This dispatch service sends help if you need:
■ Towing and winching (you will be responsible for expenses associated with towing beyond 10 miles).
■ Jump starts.
■ Flat tire changes (when a spare is available).
■ Lock-out service (when the key is in the vehicle).
■ Delivery of up to 2 gallons of fuel.

https://image.info9.citibank.com/lib...n_Benefits.pdf

The benefits guide now describes what is covered as a complimentary benefit with no restrictions on distance from home. This is significant, but I do not recall ever seeing this in any Prestige marketing materials. My thought was it is so standard today there was nothing to differentiate from AmEx and others so they did not see it worth mentioning the benefit upgrade?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
Thanks for pointing that out. I thought there had to be more to that benefit than what they were saying (since it didn't really seem like a benefit). I would have assumed that they would all be the same now, but I wanted to be sure.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Which airline(s) you have closest access to is probably a major factor here.
I am between hubs for the three legacy carriers. Therefore, I see Amex Plat as a companion with Delta and Citi Prestige as a companion with AA. It may complicate things, but I gain flexibility in finding the most value from every flight I take. Based on my location and some other factors, I find the two cards complement one another so well, that I want both.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by eajusa
Which airline(s) you have closest access to is probably a major factor here.
I am between hubs for the three legacy carriers. Therefore, I see Amex Plat as a companion with Delta and Citi Prestige as a companion with AA. It may complicate things, but I gain flexibility in finding the most value from every flight I take. Based on my location and some other factors, I find the two cards complement one another so well, that I want both.
I can't agree with this more. If AA became a transfer partner for Citi TYP, that would just be icing on the cake.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ffflllyyyeeerrr
I can't agree with this more. If AA became a transfer partner for Citi TYP, that would just be icing on the cake.
+1000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.