Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by iahphx
Like others, Citi closed all my credit card accounts in late May due to my Vanilla Reload purchases. I signed up for CreditSesame las year to monitor my credit score (I've been churning for years, I figured that maybe I should watch my credit score a little). I was curious to see what Citi's impact would be on my score. To my surprise, it was the single biggest impact EVER -- and it was positive! I went from 760 to 805 in a month. It's never moved that much in a month. I guess I now have lower credit lines and less debt (of course, I was always paying off those Citi balances monthly).

Weird. I guess suing Citi for "destroying my credit history" wouldn't be a winning argument.
That's pretty awesome, although I do agree with Happy about the validity of those websites. My score is often inflated quite a bit on them compared with the official report from eq
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by virmaior
I also saw my scores increase on the FAKOs (CreditKarma, Credit Sesame). No move on quizzle ... which was weird.
No action on my accounts but my CreditKarma jumped from 750 to 811 for no reason. Maybe they changed the calculation formula?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Only EQ is the real thing. All others are fake.

I do not subscribe monitoring service but BofA told me the Experian score was 785 on the paperwork it sent from an AS card app which was instant approval with an unexpected large CL.
This is totally true. You will usually only get your real credit score by either paying for it or having the bank/lender give it to you after applying for credit or loan. I stopped subscribing to Credit Karma, Sesame, etc. after realizing that the scores they give are not the real thing.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by friedablass
This is totally true. You will usually only get your real credit score by either paying for it or having the bank/lender give it to you after applying for credit or loan. I stopped subscribing to Credit Karma, Sesame, etc. after realizing that the scores they give are not the real thing.
Well, if what you really want is a real score (there is not properly speaking a "the real score"), then yeah you can get that from your creditor when applying for credit.

For me, the free credit monitoring things are useful to let me know if something bizarre comes up. Just never get confused about the tool. As long as you don't forget what it is (i.e. ignore their claims about it being real, etc.), it remains useful.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
You can get a free FICO score monthly based on your EQ report if you join Digital Federal Credit Union. Walmart card holders can also receive a free FICO score monthly (based on TU). There is a small CU in Pennsylvania with limited membership that offers a free FICO score based on EX monthly.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:19 am

Small Claims Court

I'm assembling my documents and writing my argument to sue Citibank in small claims court. This will be my first time in small claims court, and, based on Citibank's actions and breach of good faith, I'm confident the asshats at Citibank will lose -- if they don't settle with me first.

Out of curiosity, who here is taking Citibank to small claims court?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
I'm assembling my documents and writing my argument to sue Citibank in small claims court. This will be my first time in small claims court, and, based on Citibank's actions and breach of good faith, I'm confident the asshats at Citibank will lose -- if they don't settle with me first.

Planning on it... but my AG actually wants to pursue mediation. I need to wait that out if it doesn't work.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
I took Chase. You need some help?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:24 am

I was just told to pound sand by citi vis-a-vis my AG's attempt to mediate. Have yet to hear back from the AG on it.

July 17, 2013
[b]... skipping over personal information ...[b]

We recently received an inquiry on your behalf from the Indiana Attorney General's Office regarding the closure of the above-referenced accounts.

We understand that you are displeased with the closure of your accounts. However, our position remains unchanged. Under the terms and conditions of the agreement that governs the relationship between Citibank and its customers, Citibank maintains the right to "close your account at any time for any reason. We may do so without prior notice to you."

As a result of the account closures, your ThankYou points and Citi Professional Dollars were forfeited. This decision is final and will not be reversed.

We regret we are unable to assist you further.
Sincerely,

Ruth Unruh
Presidential Communications
Noticeably absent from her letter is a claim that shows the points are forfeit from the contract. Instead, there's the simple assertion that they were forfeit as a result of the account closures.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by virmaior
I was just told to pound sand by citi vis-a-vis my AG's attempt to mediate. Have yet to hear back from the AG on it.

Noticeably absent from her letter is a claim that shows the points are forfeit from the contract. Instead, there's the simple assertion that they were forfeit as a result of the account closures.
Do you really believe Indiana AG (not Greg Zoeller personally) will do anything on this case?

If the AG method works, no court needs to be existed.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Do you really believe Indiana AG (not Greg Zoeller personally) will do anything on this case?
At this point, it's not a question of what I "really believe" as I did contact them and they are supposedly doing something. I have to wait that out.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:22 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Has Citi closed accounts even when a bonus is not in effect? If you are getting beans/etc. but at a rate of 1x, do they care? Granted its may not be as lucrative to us, but would it be safer?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by KPT
Has Citi closed accounts even when a bonus is not in effect? If you are getting beans/etc. but at a rate of 1x, do they care? Granted its may not be as lucrative to us, but would it be safer?
why bother at a rate of 1x when you can do fidelity amex at a rate of 2x in cash? your best case with typ is 1.33% rebate on airfare only. think i'd rather have 2% in cash
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
why bother at a rate of 1x when you can do fidelity amex at a rate of 2x in cash? your best case with typ is 1.33% rebate on airfare only. think i'd rather have 2% in cash
TYP is underwhelming in some ways and the FIA card is great for general spending, but with 5 TYP per $ and no caps for Amazon I find great value in my Citi Forward card. I usually redeem for mortgage checks instead of travel as there are better travel options for my purposes.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
TYP is underwhelming in some ways and the FIA card is great for general spending, but with 5 TYP per $ and no caps for Amazon I find great value in my Citi Forward card. I usually redeem for mortgage checks instead of travel as there are better travel options for my purposes.
yes at 5x it makes sense. not at 1x which is what the op was talking about. 2 > 1. bigger is better etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.