Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Can they force you to pay the credit card balance if your card & TY account were shutdown?

I guess company has more power than consumer to force payment issues.
Of course. You bought something, you need to pay for it.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by madwad123
I'll ask once again...

1) Does shut down come shortly after a statement is generated?

2) How do you know your ThankYou account is suspended?
1. No correlation - seems to occur at any time.
2. It seems most people try and log on and can not. I am not sure if people are getting an e-mail notice, phone call, etc. This info may be buried in the thread.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Why not file a complaint?

If you have reached the point where Citi has closed your accounts, why not file a complaint with the CFPB? You likely have nothing to lose at that point.

It may have merit in the instances where Citi actually cancelled an issued check or some other type of reward. That type of behavior seems like it would generate some consumer protection attention.

I would agree that based on the Chase thread you have a near zero chance of getting unused TYP's back. But I would guess anything issued might have a shot at being recovered.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by thehawk75
If I were a gambling man I'd say this is a blacklist. Although I haven't tried to apply for a new Citicard since the closures I'd consider my odds of getting approved today, right now, are about the same odds as winning the State Lottery, however, apparently you 'can' win the State lottery...
Back in early April, you were waiting for a call back from their Presidential Unit. Did that ever happen?
Old May 7, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll ask once again...

Another interesting point is what was your total credit limit with Citi compared to your spend and relative to your preferred credit limit?

Also, how many months have you been at that level?
Shut down can happen any time.

When you find out you are unable to log in, naturally.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Can they force you to pay the credit card balance if your card & TY account were shutdown?

I guess company has more power than consumer to force payment issues.
What do you think? Or may be you decide to go on default thus leaves a very bad mark on your Credit Report?

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Of course. You bought something, you need to pay for it.
@:-)
Old May 7, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
I think they'd be looking as a slew of small claims suits if they start to cancel everything, not to mention it involves a 3rd party. I doubt their TYP partners would be too happy if a bunch of upset customers are calling in because Citi canceled their family vacation
Lots of talk about suits in these circumstances but I only know of a few cases where legal redress was actually pursued. One was a lawsuit, another was and still is chasing claimed misleading terminology with FAA. Both of these are being pursued by exceptionally aggressive, intelligent FTers with apparently a lot of time on their hands.

Before counting on suing, I would read the T & Cs. I have not done that for the 5x TYP card, but the areas to check include jurisdiction (where and under which laws an action can be filed), mandatory arbitration, and payment of attorney's fees by the loser. Of course also check the usual broad language about right to change program and also see if there is a stated right to deal with abuse.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; May 7, 2013 at 11:22 am
Old May 7, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silver6054
Lots of scary stories here! Waiting for "They closed all my cards, and since I had a CitiMortgage, foreclosed on my home"
Actually the bank accounts are not affected as of this moment based on actual cases.

If the shut down is from banking side, then there is a good chance that ALL relationships are severed. At least that is how Chase handles it - numerous threads on that in the past 18 - 24 months. All one needs to learn is to go search / read various sites / forums on the topic.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:13 am

Thank you for the clarification of my questions...

Seems like it's best to slow down and lower the average.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Thank you for the clarification of my questions...

Seems like it's best to slow down and lower the average.
nawh... buying 160k in 6 weeks is perfectly reasonable....
Old May 7, 2013, 11:19 am

I doubt that CITI has the legal right to foreclosure the home if there were no late payments.
But if they really want to dump you, they can sell your mortgage loan to some other lender.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by silver6054
Back in early April, you were waiting for a call back from their Presidential Unit. Did that ever happen?
Waste of time. They just told me it was a 'Security Closure' and couldn't be reversed. Further they said they themselves don't have the reason for the 'Security Closure', and so, I had to wait for the letter sent from that department that would list the detailed reason.

I guess I posted this in another thread, but, should post it here...

These are the exact contents of my 'detailed letter that would explain the reason for closure' from the Security Services department:

Originally Posted by Citibank Security Services

Dear thehawk75:

This letter is regarding your Citi account.

Your account has been closed to prevent further use. If you or any other authorized user(s) still have a card, please cut it in half and return it to us.

This action is taken because of a security investigation involving your account.

You will continue to receive a monthly billing statement until your balance is paid in full.

We now consider this investigation closed.

Sincerely,

Your Security Operations Service Team
So...As said before, they are not going to tell you the reason for closure...Not very easily anyway.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
wow...180k for 6 weeks. It is a lot of TY points! I am so lucky that I am not on blacklist on Chase by taking advantage of 10x10 exclusive (640,000 points for 6 months). So I will not go anything crazy for citi. My longest history with city is 10 years.

Last edited by happy9zz; May 7, 2013 at 11:55 am
Old May 7, 2013, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I'll ask once again...
Why the attitude? You shouldn't feel angry when someone doesn't answer a question that's been answered already, and/or ones that you really should be able to figure out the answer to on your own.

Is there anything in this thread that makes you think there is a planned set of events for all of this?

Do you really think Citi is sitting there going: 'Golly Gee, we want to shut down this guys account, but, we've got to wait for his statement to generate... gosh darn it!'

?

Or perhaps it's something more like: 'Well well well... I think we shall shut this guy down. But... let's just wait until his statement cycles so we can abscond with has many of his ThankYou points as possible... Muuwaaahhahahahaha! <while they twist their waxed mustache and light a fine cigar with a $100 bill and/or petting a white cat>'

?

Well... hrmmm... now, I'm not an expert on this... but... if I were to guess... just a simple guess. I would say a pretty damn good clue would be if you tried to log in to said account and you had problems doing so? Ok, got to ask, what exactly were you expecting in an answer to this question?

I assure you that there were no para-military SWAT teams kicking down my door informing me of my account closures if that makes you feel better...
Old May 7, 2013, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by thehawk75

Well... hrmmm... now, I'm not an expert on this... but... if I were to guess... just a simple guess. I would say a pretty damn good clue would be if you tried to log in to said account and you had problems doing so? Ok, got to ask, what exactly were you expecting in an answer to this question?
To be a little fair, it might have been the case that you could login etc, and the only problem came when you attempted to check out after redeeming, and the poster might not have wanted to try that. Too complex for Citi who can't even get the account selection drop down working? Yes, probably!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.