Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by silver6054
Right, I agree with your view but was paraphrasing Citi's possible tactic,
which is why I think a petition wouldn't likely work. Your sour grapes comment applies to the general public!
Indeed it does!
You know, all those friends and family and work mate you and i have that never understand us and therefore think we are scammers.

For all we know, citi planned on this being the majority notion
Old May 27, 2013, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Indeed it does!
You know, all those friends and family and work mate you and i have that never understand us and therefore think we are scammers.

For all we know, citi planned on this being the majority notion
I agree with this. I've tried explaining it to them and 99% of them just don't get it.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:50 am

Petition and Arbitration Clause

Class action appears to be ruled out by the arbitration clause. And petitions, some work, most don't. And I think Citi could portray this as lots of greedy people trying to game the system ("Tens of thousands of dollars purchase per month at drug stores? Is this a normal person?") and we don't get much sympathy.

Now, get a prosecutor to start a criminal RICO case! That's the way to go....
By the way, when I signed up for my card, there was no arbitration clause. I was told that an arbitration clause was UNILATERALLY (meaning without my consent) put into my contract in April. Then the witchhunt started by Citi in May.

In short, (just passed the Cali bar with flying colors), my arbitration clause is non-binding on me. Anyways, I don't know if lawsuits are the most effective way to initiate change anyways, unless media attention is focused on it.

That's why I like the petition idea better.

OK - I'm UP FOR IT! I'm going to write a petition, and I'm going to rely on the people on this forum, the bloggers, and everyone to help me get it out there. I mean - really this is ridiculous what Citi is doing. I mean, sure there are people definitely abusing their perks, which is unconscionable. But - how is it they could take advantage of the weaker by charging usury interest rates? And then, when we get the better end of the stick for their bad risk assessment, we get punished too?
Old May 27, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by compddd
I agree with this. I've tried explaining it to them and 99% of them just don't get it.
The key is this: do you (each of yiz) believe what you did/bought was ok?

If you have any doubts then you should not have even gotten the card.

I know what i did was ok. I followed their tcs and my gift cards and vrs have been the form of payment to my contractor who is helping to rebuild my house. If buying at 5x to use the gc later to pay someone is a crime then something is wrong.

As for arbitration and the like, i believe that citi planned to do this now and thus set many of us up.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by billybayswater
Thoughts on whether it's a bad idea to use VR to hit spend on a new AA card? Seems like this wave of shut downs is just for the 5x TYP program, but it seems so draconian that I'm almost afraid to use Citi for manufactured spend at all now.
+1 but it's too late for me
Old May 27, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Id say go for it. Either you get the miles or you dont. And imo all things citi AA are better designed and run by a dif dept that typ so its possible the witch hunt doesnt go there. Its only 1x on AA anyway so they may not even see it.

Again, is there anything wrong w buying vr?
Old May 27, 2013, 11:47 am

that's a great description hahaha

Anyway my citi statement cuts today. Aint seen nuthing change yet... but am waiting.

My hope is to catch it the moment any points post --if they do. And if they do, I plan to cash em for air travel ASAP. then, once I know it is all in airline land and completely done, I go to a branch and cancel this preferred card and ask them to give me the other 5x citi TY card. I'll maybe even tell them something like, "I was reading on some travel blogs that Citi is closing this card and I don't want to be erroneously closed down--you know how things like that can sometimes happen haha--so please switch it to the other..."

I have no idea how long it takes TY points to post after a statement cuts. My newest US Airways statement cut last night and the miles for it were there this morning (and maybe last night--I didn't check).

Does anyone have any idea how long from when your CC statement closes the TY points show up?
It seems possible even airline miles could be clawed back since they're deposited electronically. At this point I wouldn't put anything past these m0+#3r fv{&3r$. Way less likely with gift cards which are hard-loaded on to physical media and done through a third party. My last statement printed 5/9 and I redeemed for WM GCs. They arrived on 5/20, exactly 4 days before TSHTF, and I've used several already with no issue.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Id say go for it. Either you get the miles or you dont. And imo all things citi AA are better designed and run by a dif dept that typ so its possible the witch hunt doesnt go there. Its only 1x on AA anyway so they may not even see it.

Again, is there anything wrong w buying vr?
What you, I or anybody else here thinks is irrelevant. What Citi thinks is relevant and they seem to think there is something wrong . In any case redeem your TY points ASAP. Good luck!
Old May 27, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedCobra
It seems possible even airline miles could be clawed back since they're deposited electronically. At this point I wouldn't put anything past these m0+#3r fv{&3r$. Way less likely with gift cards which are hard-loaded on to physical media and done through a third party. My last statement printed 5/9 and I redeemed for WM GCs. They arrived on 5/20, exactly 4 days before TSHTF, and I've used several already with no issue.
Yah i thought of that. If i cant get the exact flights i want ill just get a ton of home depot gcs instead. Can use. My wmt ones came fast and worked fine already

Originally Posted by gv111
What you, I or anybody else here thinks is irrelevant. What Citi thinks is relevant and they seem to think there is something wrong . In any case redeem your TY points ASAP. Good luck!
You are correct. Our jobs in court is to get the judge to side with our argument though, not theirs. Thats the point of court or mediation
Old May 27, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by PointsforHolidayBoy
By the way, when I signed up for my card, there was no arbitration clause. I was told that an arbitration clause was UNILATERALLY (meaning without my consent) put into my contract in April. Then the witchhunt started by Citi in May.

In short, (just passed the Cali bar with flying colors), my arbitration clause is non-binding on me. Anyways, I don't know if lawsuits are the most effective way to initiate change anyways, unless media attention is focused on it.

OK - I'm UP FOR IT! I'm going to write a petition, and I'm going to rely on the people on this forum, the bloggers, and everyone to help me get it out there. I mean - really this is ridiculous what Citi is doing. I mean, sure there are people definitely abusing their perks, which is unconscionable. But - how is it they could take advantage of the weaker by charging usury interest rates? And then, when we get the better end of the stick for their bad risk assessment, we get punished too?
Re adding arbitration: often there is a clause something like "use of the card after xxx signifies agreement..." but I don't see such a thing in the latest Citi arbitration modification (effective June 15) so who knows.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spacehawk
Did you get any detailed explanation for the closure or just standard blanket legal statement?
Nothing in writing received yet. Some bogus reasons were cited on the phone including one related to multiple TY cards, totally ignore the fact that 1) different card types - Premier, Preferred and Professional. 2) The Origins of the Preferred started in 2006 and 2008 from 2 different cards that were converted, including one started out as an AMEX TY card that Citi discontinued. Even having AU on 2 TY cards was being used as an excuse for the dislike by Citi as to earn bonus points. I never know having an AU can earn bonus points from Citi, as that never happens to me! GC purchases at CVS was cited but the person said she would take into the consideration of how little I had purchased. Sadly I did not have phone recording facility on my end.

As late as on Friday around 2:30pm Sioux Falls time, I was told over the phone by the person at President's Office, that she "would not make a decision to whether she would unfreeze my TY account until Next Week." and she supposedly would then call me back on that decision.

Of course that has turned out to be a blatant lie.

Last edited by Happy; May 27, 2013 at 12:45 pm
Old May 27, 2013, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re adding arbitration: often there is a clause something like "use of the card after xxx signifies agreement..." but I don't see such a thing in the latest Citi arbitration modification (effective June 15) so who knows.
We are not even in June yet with this new wave of shut down probably starting Thur or Fri.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
We are not even in June yet with this new wave of shut down probably starting Thur or Fri.
Yes, I know, just saying that the latest communication I received from Citi has no opt-out language. For other changes, you often get told you can close the card and continue under existing terms and conditions (although that usually ends when the balance is paid off, not sure how it would apply to potential law suites!)
Old May 27, 2013, 1:08 pm

South Dakota law is pretty favorable with respect to card agreement changes being binding if the customer leaves the account open after the change.

South Dakota law, in general, is pretty protective of citi. Not surprising.

To me, the legal issues are harsdly cut and dry here, but they come down to a few major issues. They include: Is the thankyou t&c binding, even though it is not part of the card agreement, not part of the t&c disclosed when credit is offered, and a thank you account is opened for the customer automatically? Even if yes, since the thankyou t&c incorporate the sponsor account t&c, does this include the protections for notice on thank you rewards policies and redemptions of already transfered points? Is purchasing gcs "abuse" within the meaning of the t&c. And even if these questions are answered in citi's favor, such that there is no breach of contract claim, has citi engaged in an unfair or deceptive trade practice, among other ways by inducing spend, profiting therby, and then giving pretextual reasons to avoid its points liability for economic gain?

There are other esoteric issues out there. But these seem like the main ones.

Disclosure: don't take legal advice from the internet. None of this is legal advice. Just a guy ruminating about the various t&cs.

Old May 27, 2013, 1:44 pm

In short, (just passed the Cali bar with flying colors), my arbitration clause is non-binding on me
Why does CITI need your consent for the arbitration clause to be binding on You ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.