Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Old May 8, 13, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by swintec View Post
Then why did this promo last for 2+ years for me personally and other close acquaintances without issue and die in flames within a month or so of being blasted on here and the travel blogs?

by the way, this isnt the first opportunity that has been blown up here either.
Where did you discover the deal originally?
Old May 8, 13, 10:03 pm

Programs: many
Then why did this promo last for 2+ years for me personally and other close acquaintances without issue and die in flames within a month or so of being blasted on here and the travel blogs?

These same blogs could be used as evidence of coercion in court against antagonistic shutdowns. Names could be named, circles could be drawn, arrows could be pointed.
Old May 9, 13, 1:42 am

VRs at drugstores are a relatively new thing in the history of manufactured spend.
Old May 9, 13, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

not known. Maybe you are correct. Or maybe citi suffered some loss somewhere and had to find a place to stave it off. Who knows. Fact is, right now, it is better for us to help each other figure out ways to get back our points than to cast blame within our own groups. That wont get us anywhere.

I am new to Citi TY. I got the card, used it like most others here, and now I found this thread. I kinda hope citi finds it too so they can see how many people want to sue them for their actions...

Here's a question: Why are they shutting people down who have accts that bought say, a lot of VRs? Why not just simply make it so those transactions do not earn TY points? How? I dunno. I'm not them. But it would seem a lot easier and more 'clean' to restrict what counts for points than to go about it this way. Then again who knows. (I do know, for example, that if one tries to buy a money order at the USPS with a ST or BofA debit card, the MO wont count for miles but the fee and anything else you buy at the USPS will. So someone built in systems for that--seems easy enough on an IT end if some effort were put into it).

All I do know is that if I got shut down I would also be upset that I was enticed to do two credit pulls - for the Preferred and the Premier, AND to open other citi products all in the name of earning TY points that amount to nothing. This is one other area where I would want payback.

Circling back to buying VRs, etc... I am still not convinced that these purchases are wrong according to the T&Cs I have read from citi. This is where I would take them to court.
Old May 9, 13, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcharles View Post
These same blogs could be used as evidence of coercion in court against antagonistic shutdowns. Names could be named, circles could be drawn, arrows could be pointed.
and one could even subpena a certain guy and his photogenic wife to serve as witnesses who benefited from having the citi link on their blog pages too?--among others I have met them and they are pretty friendly people after all. They may actually do it. (You could burn some TY points to get them tickets to fly out for your case)
Old May 9, 13, 5:19 am
xp0

Originally Posted by silver6054 View Post
Where did you discover the deal originally?
Maybe he thought of it? Its not like this deal is rocket science.
Old May 9, 13, 5:27 am

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by xp0 View Post
ding ding ding!!! some people here think they are rocket scientists and the only ones capable of working out that a 5x deal is ripe for abuse
Old May 9, 13, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few friends enticed me to jump in. I hadnt trusted nor used ty points before. So are those friends somehow bad for having told me about a nice apple tree around the corner? What, was there some sort of secret password to get in and now those already inside are mad that others breached it? Sounds like they should work for citi
Old May 9, 13, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by xp0 View Post
That wasn't my point. If he found the link, great!

But I do feel that there are a number of people who find out links/deals from friends/a post somewhere etc, basically through no merit of their own, and then blast others for posting the secret. While I understand the motivation behind it, it is clearly hypocritical.
Old May 9, 13, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
VRs at drugstores are a relatively new thing in the history of manufactured spend.
Yes, VRs are new, but you do realize that other opportunities exist, right? And, they have existed well before they were blasted all over the blogs.

This is just another notch in the belt for bloggers killing deals. This is not speculation, but fact.

This debate is not new: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tr...of_the_Commons

Last edited by therivler1; May 9, 13 at 9:22 am
Old May 9, 13, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by therivler1 View Post
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
Yes, VRs are new, but you do realize that other opportunities exist, right? And, they have existed well before they were blasted all over the blogs.

This is just another notch in the belt for bloggers killing deals. This is not speculation, but fact.

This debate is not new: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tr...of_the_Commons
But anyone thinking that the blogs or FT will stop existing is deluding themselves. This is the new normal, we must work within its confines. If you knew something, and it gets outed here or on a blog, just let it go and move onto the next thing.
Old May 9, 13, 9:49 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 19 at 8:13 am
Old May 9, 13, 9:57 am

Folks, let's stick to the topic and post only actual experiences using this card for buying giftcards. Please post how long you've had it, when/if got shut down, what size of transactions (and how many) you did, did you exceed the credit limit (citi rep told me they allow it), etc.. anything we can all learn from.
Old May 9, 13, 11:16 am

Programs: Several dozen
The T&Cs don't have to explicitly state what thou shall and shalt not do. The Spanish Inquisition answers only to God and God personally told Cardinal Fang that the purchase of CE's was a grave sin. That is why purchasers of CEs must be burned at the stake - it is for their own good.

Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
But do the T&C prohibit the purchase of CE's or state that points will not be awarded for their purchase?
Old May 9, 13, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
The T&Cs don't have to explicitly state what thou shall and shalt not do. The Spanish Inquisition answers only to God and God personally told Cardinal Fang that the purchase of CE's was a grave sin. That is why purchasers of CEs must be burned at the stake - it is for their own good.
That is hardly the point though. Yes, of course purchasers of CEs must be burned at the stake (duh), the question is whether they (or rather the church as their beneficiary) gets to keep the TYP. Render unto.... etc.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: