Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:15 pm

Last edited by gloreglabert; Dec 6, 2022 at 1:47 pm
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:09 pm

Out of curiosity: why would someone keep a 400+K balance for a period of time and post about it in the thread with a title "Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed"???
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Out of curiosity: why would someone keep a 400+K balance for a period of time and post about it in the thread with a title "Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed"???
Where should I have posted about the disappearance of 10k TYPs? The Qantas thread?

Seriously though, I'm sitting on the points because I want to redeem them for their maximum value towards airfare. When I have flights to book, I redeem. I choose not to settle for gift cards just because of citi's earlier scare tactics.

If they want to come after me, so be it. I'll nail them in court. With the opportunity for triple damages, 12% annual interest and atty fees under the consumer protection stature in my liberal state, I could rake in way more than I ever expected. See my posts up thread for elaboration.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have an amount not too far off that balance, although in 2 separate accounts (1 acct with Preferred, 1 with Premier). I just redeemed a bunch out of the Premier account for flights.

Keep in mind that on 10/20, the Premier bonus goes from 33% to 25%. On a 30K point ticket, that's a $25 difference.

By the way, I haven't had problems redeeming for gift cards ... redeemed for an electronic retailer for some products I had to buy as well as a hotel chain to pay for stays. I think the main problem was with mortgage/loan checks.

Lastly, I haven't had that problem of "disappearing points" although I do look at my statements to see what points I should have. And if I'm still ahead, I keep my mouth shut
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by js80
Here's something new... anyone encounter something like this?

On 9/5 I took a screenshot of my point balance, which at the time showed 442,799. Between 9/5 and today, the only point activity that has occurred in my account is +925 points earned through my Citi checking account. Yet my point balance shows a total of 432,814. So rather than increasing by 925, I have decreased by 9985, even though I haven't redeemed any points since July. There is nothing in my point history backing up this reduction in point balance.

Unless there was previously a mathematical error that they now fixed, I can't imagine the explanation for this. For obvious reasons, I don't want to call, but this sucks, because that's worth >$100.

I'm due to have another 80k posted within the next day or two, so I guess I'll know soon if something is really amiss.
I say you call and demand Citi give you the points owed to you. I would contact every department within Citi and alert them of this discrepancy. And of course, ask them to do a full account audit of the points that you've earned so that they will see that you are right and deserve an additional 10k points on top of the 400k plus points.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:19 am

On 9/5 I took a screenshot of my point balance, which at the time showed 442,799. Between 9/5 and today, the only point activity that has occurred in my account is +925 points earned through my Citi checking account. Yet my point balance shows a total of 432,814. So rather than increasing by 925, I have decreased by 9985, even though I haven't redeemed any points since July. There is nothing in my point history backing up this reduction in point balance.

Unless there was previously a mathematical error that they now fixed, I can't imagine the explanation for this. For obvious reasons, I don't want to call, but this sucks, because that's worth >$100.

I'm due to have another 80k posted within the next day or two, so I guess I'll know soon if something is really amiss.
I had a hard to explain reduction about a year ago. Only about 600 TYPs though. Turns out it was due to a product return from purchase through a portal. About a 120 day lapse from purchase to return to points deduction.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:59 pm

Citi is unreal ... they closed two of my dh's cc accounts since he hadn't used them in a long time ... fortunately none of them had any points hanging out ... and now they won't let him open a new credit card, for undisclosed reasons. When I talked to the analyst she said it was because account was closed by issuer, but when we reviewed the reason, she said she would put it through to try to get the new cc approved, and we would get a letter, but it was still a reject. Then wrote to the Prez and got back the same non-answer. Anyhow, I try to keep my TYP's at a low balance for fear of confiscation.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by GoGreen
Citi is unreal ... they closed two of my dh's cc accounts since he hadn't used them in a long time ... fortunately none of them had any points hanging out ... and now they won't let him open a new credit card, for undisclosed reasons. When I talked to the analyst she said it was because account was closed by issuer, but when we reviewed the reason, she said she would put it through to try to get the new cc approved, and we would get a letter, but it was still a reject. Then wrote to the Prez and got back the same non-answer. Anyhow, I try to keep my TYP's at a low balance for fear of confiscation.
Citi has been known to not approve new accounts for past customers who they closed their accounts for lack of activity.

They may eventually unblock a customer under these circumstances but it takes awhile.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Citi has been known to not approve new accounts for past customers who they closed their accounts for lack of activity.

They may eventually unblock a customer under these circumstances but it takes awhile.
Huh, so it's better to close an account (and then churn it, if possible, and if there's an Opening Bonus) than to just keep it sitting there (and paying the annual fee, if there is one, although in his case, there wasn't).

Any idea how long it takes to get un-banned?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GoGreen
Huh, so it's better to close an account (and then churn it, if possible, and if there's an Opening Bonus) than to just keep it sitting there (and paying the annual fee, if there is one, although in his case, there wasn't).

Any idea how long it takes to get un-banned?
Why would anyone keep a card for numerous years and not use the card? If you are going to keep a card, use it at least once a year.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:22 pm

oh dear citi just closed our old citi shell cc for lack of use. i did try to use it every once in a while (definitely used it at least once this year) but obviously i didnt use it enough. it would be so sad if the primary cardholder is banned for a while for non use of this card
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:24 pm
wcj

I think the recommended use is quarterly, but I could be wrong.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by wcj
Agreed, I use every card at leasy once every 3 months or so, which kinda sucks with 35+ cc's between wife and me but better to keep them happy.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by wcj
Nothing wrong with that recommendation.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First

For only <10K TYP, I'd let this go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.