Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired] Citi ThankYou Preferred 5x Gas/Groceries/Drugstore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] Citi ThankYou Preferred 5x Gas/Groceries/Drugstore

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mehadi66
whats not too much VR in a month, just got the card
My limit is around 9K, I have been doing 10K on it a month. Might slowly move up as time goes by.

I'm also still using Amex, Club Carlson for VR. So I'm about 20K all in a month(4 BB accounts) and 3 AP accounts for another 3K. Also looking in to getting 3-5K+ in MOs on GC with PIN.

I did do 20K on Amex 2 months ago, and no issues. But I dont want to mess up TYP card and make sure not to get shut down.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Mehadi66
whats not too much VR in a month, just got the card
Thanks for posting this. I don't want to go crazy either.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Anyone experiencing delays in payment posting or credit limit release with this card?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by vodkashine
Anyone experiencing delays in payment posting or credit limit release with this card?
No, transactions and payments seem to post with the same delay (so I don't mind). However, pending transactions (that aren't eventually finalized) do hang around much longer, Citi told me 30 days, which I think is longer than my other issuers.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
My limit is around 9K, I have been doing 10K on it a month. Might slowly move up as time goes by.

I'm also still using Amex, Club Carlson for VR. So I'm about 20K all in a month(4 BB accounts) and 3 AP accounts for another 3K. Also looking in to getting 3-5K+ in MOs on GC with PIN.

I did do 20K on Amex 2 months ago, and no issues. But I dont want to mess up TYP card and make sure not to get shut down.
The "problem" is that Preferred whomps everything else at CVS so it's tempting to use it exclusively. I've been using Target AMEX and Amazon Payments to meet new card minimum spends and generate some Club Carlson points.

I don't think Citi is particularly looking for Preferred "abuse," but it's obviously better to not go crazy and ramp it up slowly.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
The "problem" is that Preferred whomps everything else at CVS so it's tempting to use it exclusively. I've been using Target AMEX and Amazon Payments to meet new card minimum spends and generate some Club Carlson points.

I don't think Citi is particularly looking for Preferred "abuse," but it's obviously better to not go crazy and ramp it up slowly.
I just bought 3 VRs (at two different CVSs) on my TYP, and as I was driving home, email on my phone. Two emails. Three emails. All from Citi. My initial thought was "Oh oh" but they turned out to be marketing emails for three of my four citi cards "Spend $2K on your Premier to get the bonus", use their mall, visit your TY account. So, not a meaningful data point....

Then of course I couldn't load onto my BB, but that is unrelated.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:12 am

So uh, I called in to TY hotline to redeem for a $1550 student loan check. The confirmation email Citi sent says they will be sending me 31 x $50 checks. If it really turns out to be 31 checks instead of a more sane denomination (say 6 x $250 + 1 $50), perhaps this is their way of getting back at us? Seeing the email made me LOL.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by bobfather
So uh, I called in to TY hotline to redeem for a $1550 student loan check. The confirmation email Citi sent says they will be sending me 31 x $50 checks. If it really turns out to be 31 checks instead of a more sane denomination (say 6 x $250 + 1 $50), perhaps this is their way of getting back at us? Seeing the email made me LOL.
Are you serious? Citi does not consolidate the payment into ONE check? And don't they send directly to SL?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:46 am

They definitely don't send directly to the loan originator. In fact, you specify the bank you want the loan made out to.

But yes, it was a big surprise to see that they've done it this way. In the past, I've specified the check denominations I wanted, but this is the first time I didn't, I guess because I didn't expect such an inane result.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by bobfather
perhaps this is their way of getting back at us?
This is a funny thought. Perhaps next comes a bag of pennies on cashback bonus checks.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by ctbarron
This is a funny thought. Perhaps next comes a bag of pennies on cashback bonus checks.
As long as it's not boxes of them FREE shipped directly from the Mint!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by raghu455
Thanks. They did mention it when I activated but do not see anything online to confirm. Will make a few transactions and have statement close early to check
I used the link below (5x for the 12 months) on 4/10 but when I activated the card, they had no record of the 5x offer. They requested that I fax in "the front and back of the offer solicitation". I did a screen print of the web page and sent in the link as well and the offer was added to my account. I recommend that anyone applying through this old link take a screen shot (or PM me for one) and confirm the offer when activating the card.

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...EF13609C9B954D
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
The 5X offer is a sign on bonus essentially--only for new accounts. If you got them to apply this offer to your existing account, you'd be the first person ever to successfully report it.

That said, there's nothing that prevents you from just opening a second TY Preferred Account.
So, after the 12 months, assuming that a good link can be found, I can apply for another one without Citi caring?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
In my most recent experience, yes.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt, Club Carlson, Avis
When I signed up I asked the rep to confirm the 5x, he said so long as I did not have the card before I was eligible to the GGD deal; however, CMHFlyer has said that with Citi, unlike Chase, typically if you go through an offering application you get the offer if approved for the account.

My first billing statement justly closed and I did get the full 5x on GGD! Tho I've also never had this particular TY card b4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.