Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for posting the upgrade offer. This should be the highest upgrade offer ever seen.

Did the upgrade process lead you to online chat to finish the upgrade? given you mentioned the rep "posted" posted noneligible purchases...

VGCs bought from retail merchants traditionally are treated as eligible purchases. I did this on a targeted PRG early March. Membership Reward bonus posted as available right at statement closed without ever going thru Pending. Spend pts though did go thru pending for one more billing cycle before it became available.
I went chat to confirm the 100K. They denied me for two lousy 5K bonuses for referring people saying the "person" didn't use the link provided.

I recommended these people and helped fill out the apps so I know 100% the correct link ( sent to the applicants email) was used.

I will not spend a dime until they confirm 100K which I have a printout of. I applied Friday evening and as of today my account is still updating so no confirmation of 100K yet. The rep said that the usual upgrade is 50K and asked if I was solicited via email or mail, I told him the 100k offer popped up when I logged into my Amex account, which it did.

On another note Happy, I'm not sure how long your Hilton Diamond match is good for but I just grabbed Diamond for myself,my wife and my dad until 3/2018 via the new Hilton Status Match
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I went chat to confirm the 100K. They denied me for two lousy 5K bonuses for referring people saying the "person" didn't use the link provided.

I recommended these people and helped fill out the apps so I know 100% the correct link ( sent to the applicants email) was used.

I will not spend a dime until they confirm 100K which I have a printout of. I applied Friday evening and as of today my account is still updating so no confirmation of 100K yet. The rep said that the usual upgrade is 50K and asked if I was solicited via email or mail, I told him the 100k offer popped up when I logged into my Amex account, which it did.

On another note Happy, I'm not sure how long your Hilton Diamond match is good for but I just grabbed Diamond for myself,my wife and my dad until 3/2018 via the new Hilton Status Match
I saw the 100K upgrade offer shows up in both our accounts in the AMEX Offers.

The wording is "You are invited to upgrade to Hilton HHonors Surpass" something like that.

However on the actual screen the 100K is not showing up unless you click the details.

I would also make a screen shot on that before applying the upgrade.

Our Diamonds are up to Mar 2017. Some posts on various sites said some folks got their 2017 extended to 2018. But the results were mixed. Also on this matching round HH requires a stay in the past 12 months with the program(s) used to match. That was not the requirement on last go round.

Ironically we do not have possible stay at HH properties between now thru Feb 2017 except one possible night at Hilton LAX where I also have a reservation at brand new ALoft of SPG chain. The Diamonds are going to be wasted.

Last time the 5K referral bonus on several SPG cards did not post automatically, AMEX wanted to know the applicant's names and their zip codes to verify the successful referrals. Ultimately they issued the referral bonuses with the description of "courtesy points". 2 of the referrals posted automatically. The difference was, referral bonus posted automatically on instant approval, went AOL when approvals were deferred.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 24, 2016 at 6:13 pm
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:25 pm

I saw the 100K upgrade offer shows up in both our accounts in the AMEX Offers.

The wording is "You are invited to upgrade to Hilton HHonors Surpass" something like that.

However on the actual screen the 100K is not showing up unless you click the details.

I would also make a screen shot on that before applying the upgrade.

Our Diamonds are up to Mar 2017. Some posts on various sites said some folks got their 2017 extended to 2018. But the results were mixed. Also on this matching round HH requires a stay in the past 12 months with the program(s) used to match. That was not the requirement on last go round.

Ironically we do not have possible stay at HH properties between now thru Feb 2017 except one possible night at Hilton LAX where I also have a reservation at brand new ALoft of SPG chain. The Diamonds are going to be wasted.

Last time the 5K referral bonus on several SPG cards did not post automatically, AMEX wanted to know the applicant's names and their zip codes to verify the successful referrals. Ultimately they issued the referral bonuses with the description of "courtesy points". 2 of the referrals posted automatically. The difference was, referral bonus posted automatically on instant approval, went AOL when approvals were deferred.
Never had a problem with SPG referral bonuses.

My 100K offer showed up at the top pf the screen. I'm not spending a dime until the verify 100K and will make the give time back my NAF card if they say it's 50 or worse no bonus

My screen shot says thank you you have been approved and to the left shows the 100K offer.

This upgrade offer like the other 100K offer for new apps say it expires 5/4
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:34 am

I have had the free card since January (50K points w/ $50 credit) but would like to get in on the 100K offer. I currently have three AMEX cards.

Am I better off:

A. Trying the upgrade link.

B. Cancelling my free card and applying for the Surpass from scratch.

C. Keeping free card and applying for the Surpass from scratch.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:38 am

Your first option won't work since you haven't had the card a year. Upgrade link does not apply for you.

Why would you cancel the free card to get the Surpass? You can have 4 Amex credit cards. Just apply for the Surpass and carry both cards. That's what I do. You'll get the signup bonus since they're completely separate products.

Cancel the free card in a year if you don't want it. I don't recommend closing Amex cards before the 12 month period.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:43 am

My 100K offer showed up at the top pf the screen. I'm not spending a dime until the verify 100K and will make the give time back my NAF card if they say it's 50 or worse no bonus

My screen shot says thank you you have been approved and to the left shows the 100K offer.

Well that's good to know. DW's AMEX page only shows the 50K offer, and we were planning on calling AMEX to get the 100K offer. But since they may not give to us that way, and she has never had a Surpass, we'll just cancel the regular card, and then apply for the Surpass. It will mean another HP, but the 100K should be automatic. No way I want to battle AMEX to get the points posted.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont think you would have issue getting the 100K. The chat reps do not always know all the channels an offer can show up. The 100K upgrade just shows up very recently and obviously is targeted as a friend only sees the 50K upgrade offer, ditto Roberthanson's DW. Given the 50K is the standard upgrade offer, the chat reps think only the targeted offers would have 100K, and AMEX does send out targeted offer via email and mail - I got my PRG in both forms. However, that is for a new card, not an upgrade offer. I have never read about the Surpass upgrade offer is sent via email / mail. Always is online in your account - either show up at the top when you log in or in the AMEX Offers. I have seen it in the AMEX offers before when it is a 50K one as recently as a few weeks ago. Late last year I saw it when I logged in but again it was only a 50K.

I made screen shots from the Home page where the offer was listed among other AMEX offers under the regular HH card. Then the following screen shots thru the process.

The final approval screen indeed has the 100K offer on the left side and has the expiration date of 5/4.

I do agree if one has room for an extra AMEX card, it would be more certain to apply the Surpass anew. However for those who have maxed out the 4 credit cards limit, there is no way to do the new card unless canceling one existing card. In my case I want / need to keep all 4 existing credit cards so I have to go the upgrade route. My guess is, there is better than 50% chance to see the high bonus some time later this year - sort of between the regular 50K and the high numbers which have seen several already.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 25, 2016 at 11:25 am
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... for those who have maxed out the 4 credit cards limit, ...
There is some evidence that the limit is now 5, or perhaps there is no longer any limit:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ard-limit.html
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by PowerMan572
Your first option won't work since you haven't had the card a year. Upgrade link does not apply for you.

Why would you cancel the free card to get the Surpass? You can have 4 Amex credit cards. Just apply for the Surpass and carry both cards. That's what I do. You'll get the signup bonus since they're completely separate products.

Cancel the free card in a year if you don't want it. I don't recommend closing Amex cards before the 12 month period.
In a year the free card will have the upgrade to Surpass option so I would keep the card.

Currently this lets a person get more than one Surpass bonus

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 25, 2016 at 3:44 pm
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Well that's good to know. DW's AMEX page only shows the 50K offer, and we were planning on calling AMEX to get the 100K offer. But since they may not give to us that way, and she has never had a Surpass, we'll just cancel the regular card, and then apply for the Surpass. It will mean another HP, but the 100K should be automatic. No way I want to battle AMEX to get the points posted.
Keep the regular card, in a year you get an upgraded offer to Surpass for 50K
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
There is some evidence that the limit is now 5, or perhaps there is no longer any limit:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ard-limit.html
Thanks for the data points. Must be fairly recent development as a friend had to close an existing card to get approval of an SPG biz card less than 2 months ago.

AMEX finally wakes up.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:06 am

In a year the free card will have the upgrade to Surpass option so I would keep the card.

Currently this lets a person get more than one Surpass bonus
Good advice all. Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just got a (targeted?) e-mail about my new Citi Visa card (the one with no annual fee, 6x pts at Hiltons, and the 10,000 pt annual bonus if you spend $1,000 in the Hilton portfolio in a year).

The targeted offer was from now until August 31 - spend $750 in the Hilton portfolio and receive 7,500 bonus points.

Does that mean that, if after that, I spend an additional $250 for a total of $1,000, I will get the 7,500 pts now and then an additional 10,000 pts later, for a total of 17,500?

I don't want the 7,500 to be deducted in some way from my possible annual total.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
So, May 4 has come and gone, and the 100k Surpass offer is no more. Hilton's site is showing the link https://www262.americanexpress.com/d.../#/landingpage to an offer for 75k points after $3k spend, AF $75 not waived.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
So, May 4 has come and gone, and the 100k Surpass offer is no more. Hilton's site is showing the link https://www262.americanexpress.com/d.../#/landingpage to an offer for 75k points after $3k spend, AF $75 not waived.
I guess I'm going for this in a couple months. Couldn't get this since I got the reg and delta gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.