Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi card credit line reallocation / reduction [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi card credit line reallocation / reduction [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:39 pm

Seems like they are behind the ball compared to Chase.

I've had Chase reallocate credit between accounts all the time within a day and have no hard pulls or anything like that.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by hamhead
Seems like they are behind the ball compared to Chase.

I've had Chase reallocate credit between accounts all the time within a day and have no hard pulls or anything like that.
What they don't realize is that Chase will be getting far more of my business when I travel, as I am able to quickly shift credit to my cards with no FTF. If I can't do that with Citi, they'll lose out on the bigger transactions abroad.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
relocate to: TYP 9 month old.

What are my chances? Close to zero?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I got the Chase Slate last week for the 0% no fee balance transfer. Initially they gave me a 10K limit. I got a surprising e-mail even before the card arrived telling me I could reallocate from other Chase cards if that limit was not high enough. I thought they shut down reallocation to 0% BT cards awhile ago. I got the IHG card a couple months ago and have already met the spend point to get the bonus, so I figured I would move that.

When I received the card and called to activate/acknowledge receipt, I asked them to do the line move. CSR said she could move $11K of my $14K limit from the IHG, but the computer would not allow it. She had to refer it to another department, but they were closed on Saturday. When I called back Tuesday, the first CSR that answered was able to immediately move it.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:33 pm

I just tried this and was told I'd get a ring today when it was finished. The woman left me a voicemail today saying there was an issue and to ring back so they could explain further. I've no doubt they tried to do check Experian, which is frozen, to process the reallocation. It looks like the limits will stay the way they are for now.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tev9999
When I received the card and called to activate/acknowledge receipt, I asked them to do the line move. CSR said she could move $11K of my $14K limit from the IHG, but the computer would not allow it. She had to refer it to another department, but they were closed on Saturday. When I called back Tuesday, the first CSR that answered was able to immediately move it.
I was told before by their CSR is that they are sometimes able to do it on their own when it's the same type of card. If the system won't allow them, then it's their lending department (not sure if that's the actual name) that does it. When they do it, they only do a soft pull. I don't care who does it as long as it can be done and without any hard pulls.

Last edited by MVF Trekker; May 23, 2014 at 12:57 am
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:58 am

so if i want to transfer some credit limit from existing Exec to another one, is this going to be a hard pull or soft?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Voluntary reduce credit on Citi

I've seen several random posts on the various Citi threads regarding freeing up credit lines by reducing credit on open cards. If I understand correctly, the reduced credit is freed up a lot quicker than simply closing the card, which could take 6 months.

Any experiences with this? Looking to find out how long it actually takes for the freed up credit line to become available again. When I have messaged Citi to lower my line, I get a reply that if I do that, I may not be able to increase the credit line on that card for six months, which seems a lot like the process for a closure.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva
I've seen several random posts on the various Citi threads regarding freeing up credit lines by reducing credit on open cards. If I understand correctly, the reduced credit is freed up a lot quicker than simply closing the card, which could take 6 months.

Any experiences with this? Looking to find out how long it actually takes for the freed up credit line to become available again. When I have messaged Citi to lower my line, I get a reply that if I do that, I may not be able to increase the credit line on that card for six months, which seems a lot like the process for a closure.

I lower every (14 so far) Citi Hilton Card to $5k the day I activate it.

I have no idea how long the credit takes to free up but I haven't had to call recon or move a credit line to get approved so far
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:56 pm

Not sure what you mean by credit being available again, but the reduction is effective immediately. I just did it on my first AA Elite, applied for second one with 75k offer an hour later and got instant approval.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by flyer4512

I have no idea how long the credit takes to free up but I haven't had to call recon or move a credit line to get approved so far

WOW! what a feat, thats 700k hilton points?!

Dumb question but do you leave each one open for free nights Or just churn for the points? May i ask what your schedule of applying to each card is (Days after and such) and how it affects your credit score and if you've had any issues.

Thanks!!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBG89

Dumb question but do you leave each one open for free nights
The no fee version does not have free night. It is pure sign up bonus up front after spend is met.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by JBG89

Dumb question but do you leave each one open for free nights Or just churn for the points? May i ask what your schedule of applying to each card is (Days after and such) and how it affects your credit score and if you've had any issues.
Thanks!!
I don't have a schedule, just apply as I can make the spend but always outside the Citi rules of 8 and 65 days ( or whatever it is). These cards were originally 40K. I think they moved to 50 ( and now 60K about a year ago but I would have to check my records

My last HH card ( about 2 weeks ago) was the only one without instant approval. It was approved in a week by Cit with about a $9K CL without me doing a thing. Fico is around 800
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:55 pm

Do you have to call them still or is it instant approval? They always want me to call them, but never ask me for anything... other than if I want to add a mobile number... so strange
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by kiwinuked
Do you have to call them still or is it instant approval? They always want me to call them, but never ask me for anything... other than if I want to add a mobile number... so strange
Answer above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.