Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points now transferable to Hilton HHonors [Premier, Prestige, Chairman]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi ThankYou Points now transferable to Hilton HHonors [Premier, Prestige, Chairman]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The transfer rate 1000:1500 is exactly the same as American Express Membership Rewards to HHonors. If Citi were focused on Chase I think the rate would have been 1000:1000.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
I have two Thank You credit cards, so I called to cancel one when it incurred an annual fee. I was told that I would have 30 days to use the Thank You points associated with the canceled card. I said that I wanted them transferred to Hilton Honors. The representative told me that Citi would "remove" the Hilton points at the 30 day mark. In other words, you cannot preserve your points by transferring them to another points program. I'm not sure that I believe her. What do you think?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond,,B6,DL,WN
I have points expiring soon, which makes me mad(along with my card being compromised twice the past 18 months) and was considering dropping my Premier card and getting Chase Sapphire Preferred. However, if I can use expiring points to transfer to Hilton I may change my mind. Anyone know if transferring is an acceptable way to take care of expiring points?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by hooterbif
I have two Thank You credit cards, so I called to cancel one when it incurred an annual fee. I was told that I would have 30 days to use the Thank You points associated with the canceled card. I said that I wanted them transferred to Hilton Honors. The representative told me that Citi would "remove" the Hilton points at the 30 day mark. In other words, you cannot preserve your points by transferring them to another points program. I'm not sure that I believe her. What do you think?
An agent that obviously has no idea what she is talking about. Once points are transferred to another program they are subject to the TC's of the new program. Citi cannot then issue a demand for points to be removed from your Hilton acct 30 days later without sufficient cause like fraud, etc.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mrkymark
An agent that obviously has no idea what she is talking about. Once points are transferred to another program they are subject to the TC's of the new program. Citi cannot then issue a demand for points to be removed from your Hilton acct 30 days later without sufficient cause like fraud, etc.
Thank you for that . Then would the transferred points be protected due to the terms of having Amex no AF HH card , or does that just exempt expiry for points earned via the CC ?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:25 am

in the FAQ, it says: "4. Can all ThankYou® Points be exchanged?

No. Taxable Points and Points that are made unavailable for redemption due to signs of fraud, abuse or suspicious activity in your ThankYou Member Account or due to your failure to make the required minimum payment due on your participating Citi credit card account by the payment due date are not eligible for exchange.

Taxable Points are Points obtained through activity unrelated to purchases made with your Citibank® Debit MasterCard or with your Citi credit card, as well as Points received for a Citibank consumer or business checking relationship and bonus Points that may be awarded for opening new Sponsor accounts or for signing up for new Sponsor services."

I wonder if the credit card signup bonus TY points can be transferred?

Also has anyone tried to transfer to a HH account under different name? thx

Last edited by mia; Jan 6, 2013 at 11:59 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:20 am

I did a transfer this morning and answered at least three questions, so here are my data points. I closed a citi card recently and just before I did I transferred my last 3700 points to a family member's account. She had just over 300 points. Since my points were transferred, they were set to expire in 90 days in her account.

Today, I transferred all 4k points from her account to my Hhonors account. We have the same last name and address but not first names. So, I answered three questions with at least one data point. YMMV.

1) Points transferred in from another TY account that are due to expire can successfully be transferred out to Hilton. (Note my original closed account was a premier account, so future experimentation may be needed for other kinds of xfers.)

2) First names need not match.

3) Transfer is instant, even on a Sunday.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
This is rad. I earn enough TY points every year for an AXON award at 1:1.5 transfer rate.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by philemer
Just tried to transfer 1000 TY and it failed. I have the TY Premier card. I entered my Hh acct. # and pin. It said to call. Great, love calling TY.
I tried again this AM and it worked. Topped off my acct to a multiple of 5000.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lkar
I did a transfer this morning and answered at least three questions, so here are my data points. I closed a citi card recently and just before I did I transferred my last 3700 points to a family member's account. She had just over 300 points. Since my points were transferred, they were set to expire in 90 days in her account.

Today, I transferred all 4k points from her account to my Hhonors account. We have the same last name and address but not first names. So, I answered three questions with at least one data point. YMMV.

1) Points transferred in from another TY account that are due to expire can successfully be transferred out to Hilton. (Note my original closed account was a premier account, so future experimentation may be needed for other kinds of xfers.)

2) First names need not match.

3) Transfer is instant, even on a Sunday.
Is there any difference in the way Hilton treats TYP that are transfered into Hh , or can they be extended via the usual ways ?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Nice option. ^

At my valuations for HH points, it's roughly a wash with how I'd use the TYP for airfare. I'll probably just keep using my TYP for airfare since I'm always pretty long on HH points, but anytime a new transfer option appears that is reasonably "lossless", that's bound to be good for somebody.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Is there any difference in the way Hilton treats TYP that are transfered into Hh , or can they be extended via the usual ways ?
I don't really know what the usual ways for extending Hilton points means. They are showing up in my account as regular points. That said, the Hhonors web site tracking of points is pretty awful.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
When I think "extending points", I think of someone with a dormant account trying to make sure the points don't suddenly disappear due to inactivity. Unlike the airlines, hotel programs don't always follow their own published T's & C's to the letter.

If that's the question, then yes I would assume that a 1,000-point TYP transfer would count as activity, just like any other activity. The points would be usable for anything that your other HH points are.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
When I think "extending points", I think of someone with a dormant account trying to make sure the points don't suddenly disappear due to inactivity. Unlike the airlines, hotel programs don't always follow their own published T's & C's to the letter.

If that's the question, then yes I would assume that a 1,000-point TYP transfer would count as activity, just like any other activity. The points would be usable for anything that your other HH points are.
Oh, gotcha. They don't seem be any different in my account from any other points.

Whether a transfer of citi points and no other activity in the account in 12 months would be good enough I think is probably not clear. The T&C (and there's a whole thread on this) require points to be "earn[ed]" through a third party source. People have posted that erewards transfers seem to be enough, which would suggest that citi transfers are too. Who knows? The terms give Hilton some pretty wide discretion.

My personal view on these sorts of issues has been skewed a bit by the recent chase UR experience, where they were very laissez faire about third party transfers and then brought the hammer down hard out of the blue. Just because something has gone along swimmingly, I don't want to be the guinea pig.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,,B6,DL,WN
I transferred 1000 TY points to Hilton. Points showed up on Hilton immediately but my TY account still shows same number of points expiring in 90 days. I'll keep watch over next few days and report. If expiring points still show I am just going to trans. all my points to Hilton and get a Sapphire Preferred as they have no points expiration-for now anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.