Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

A good cash back CC for restaurants (aside from Citi Forward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know of another decent CC for restaurants aside from the Citi Forward? Looking for at least 3% CB.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The TrueEarnings Costco AMEX is 2% cash back.

I have the forward too. the points are horrible
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards

The U.S. Bank Cash+ allows you to set two categories at 5% cash back. Restaurants is one of those options. Every redemption of $100 cash back earns a $25 Visa card, so the real rate is 6.25%.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:35 am

Although Forward seems pretty good to me, just do the student loan/mortgage options. Some have reported you can just designate the bank where your checking account is as your "mortgage" and just deposit the check in your account. I have never tried that and would do a small trial first.

CSP is 2.14x, seems like a waste to take UR points for cash but it can be done.

Short of that, its buy gift cards with Ink or BCP (now capped) at Office stores or Groceries.

Finally, there is US Bank Cash+ - although fast food is separate from restaurants for picking categories, so you would use both of your 5% categories in that instance.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ture-card.html
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim:19700150
Although Forward seems pretty good to me, just do the student loan/mortgage options. Some have reported you can just designate the bank where your checking account is as your "mortgage" and just deposit the check in your account. I have never tried that and would do a small trial first.
Where is discussion on this? Very intrigued, esp with amazon bonus too.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Jpr0930
See posts 101 and 111 in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...t-state-3.html

Also:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fina...query=checking
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim:19700273
Originally Posted by Jpr0930
See posts 101 and 111 in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...t-state-3.html

Also:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fina...query=checking
Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Besides the previously mentioned USBank Cash +, I don't know of any, and I have looked around as dining is my largest single spend category. The problem with the cash + is for it to be effective you essentially have to select both the restaurant and fast food categories. Otherwise you'll have some 5% leakage.

I find the Cash + categories better for things like bill pay and hotels (given my spend patterns).

Outside of hitting min spend requirements, all my dining, amazon, and itunes goes on the forward card. Use SLR or Mortgage rebate for 5% cash back, or pair with TY Premier card for 6.66% rebate on purchased flights. I have not found a better rebate rate for dining.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Outside of hitting min spend requirements, all my dining, amazon, and itunes goes on the forward card. Use SLR or Mortgage rebate for 5% cash back, or pair with TY Premier card for 6.66% rebate on purchased flights. I have not found a better rebate rate for dining.[/QUOTE]

That's how I use it too. Forward card points all go to my Premier card for air flights.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Nov 19, 2012 at 7:47 am
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
idine.com is a good option for dining CB; requires some work to identify participating establishments, but well wrth the hassle if you dinout regularly.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Yea, since I do not fly, the TY pts. are not worth that much to me. I am trying to obtain the Chase Amazon card for 3% CB and will switch my USB Cash + to restaurants next quarter.

Never found too many great restaurants at idine.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by comptalk
Yea, since I do not fly, the TY pts. are not worth that much to me. I am trying to obtain the Chase Amazon card for 3% CB ....
Flyertalk is not the best place to seek card advice if you do not travel. However, if you link your ThankYou account to your Amazon account you can redeem TYP for Amazon purchases at $0.008 per point. 5 x .008 = 4% vs the 2% offered by the Chase Amazon card in the dining category.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
Flyertalk is not the best place to seek card advice if you do not travel. However, if you link your ThankYou account to your Amazon account you can redeem TYP for Amazon purchases at $0.008 per point. 5 x .008 = 4% vs the 2% offered by the Chase Amazon card in the dining category.
In addition, if you have the Citi Premier and link it with the Forward, 10K TY Points = $100 Amazon e-Gift Card. So a full 5% on dining. Without the Citi Premier, 6K TY = $50 Amazon e-Gift.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by islandguy84
In addition, if you have the Citi Premier and link it with the Forward, 10K TY Points = $100 Amazon e-Gift Card. So a full 5% on dining. Without the Citi Premier, 6K TY = $50 Amazon e-Gift.
You don't need the Citi Premier. The Citi Preferred is just fine for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.